Connect with us

News

Mob sets US-based doctor’s SUV ablaze over false kidnapping in Oyo

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has rescued a United States-based medical doctor from mob action following a false kidnapping alarm in Ibadan, the state capital.

The command disclosed this in a statement released on Wednesday by the state police public relations officer, DSP Ayanlade Olayinka.

According to the police, the incident occurred on Monday at about 2:30 p.m. around the 2nd Powerline Area, Ologuneru, along the Eleyele-Ido Road in Ibadan.

The statement said officers responded to a distress call alleging that a suspected kidnapper was about to be lynched and set ablaze by an angry mob.

“Upon receipt of the information, a combined team of Patrol and Detective Officers led by the Divisional Crime Officer Eleyele Police Station (DCO) immediately mobilized to the scene where the suspect was successfully rescued from the enraged crowd.

“However, before the arrival of the Police, his Lexus RX 330 SUV had already been set ablaze by the mob, while two young girls identified as Deborah, aged 15 years, and Rebecca, aged 12 years, found inside the vehicle, were equally taken into protective custody alongside the suspect for proper investigation,” the statement read.

Preliminary findings, according to the PPRO, revealed that the victim, identified simply as Dr. Afolabi, is a medical doctor practising in the United States and not a kidnapper as alleged in viral social media reports.

“Further findings established that the two girls found inside the vehicle were legally taken from one Mrs. Idowu Abimbola, aged 56 years, of Eleyele Area, Ibadan, with the intention of delivering them to the victim’s mother for the purpose of assisting with household chores.

See also  Veteran Journalist Is Dead

“In the course of investigation, Mrs. Idowu Abimbola was invited to the station where she confirmed the arrangement, while the two girls equally corroborated the account and related freely with the said woman, thereby dispelling the suspicion of abduction,” the statement added.

Olayinka explained that the misunderstanding began when Dr. Afolabi attempted to gain access through the Polytechnic gate and was stopped by a security guard for routine vehicle inspection.

“Upon lowering the vehicle’s window glass, the two girls were allegedly seen half-naked, a situation which immediately aroused suspicion among bystanders and security personnel.

“It was gathered that the victim’s inability to provide satisfactory answers to questions asked at the scene, coupled with his decision to turn away from the checkpoint, further heightened suspicion.

“The situation was compounded by the inability of the two girls to speak the local language or properly express themselves in English, thereby fueling the false alarm of kidnapping.

“The development consequently led to a mob chase and eventual interception of the victim by irate youths who reportedly ignored all explanations offered by him and descended heavily on him, inflicting severe bodily injuries before the timely intervention of the Police.

“The victim was immediately rushed to the Police Medical Services for urgent medical attention and is currently responding to treatment,” the statement said.

Scene of the incident. Credit: Oyo State Police Command

The police said statements had been obtained from eyewitnesses, including an okada rider allegedly hit during the confusion, while efforts were ongoing to identify and arrest those involved in the mob action and destruction of property.

See also  Alleged kidney harvesting: Noah Kekere breaks silence after court victory

The Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Abimbola Olugbenga, condemned the mob action and the spread of false information capable of creating tension and undermining security in the state.

He warned against jungle justice, self-help, and the circulation of unverified reports on social media, saying such actions threaten public peace and order.

The commissioner also directed a full investigation into the incident and ordered the arrest of all those involved in the attack for prosecution in accordance with the law.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Okonjo-Iweala unveils $50m fund to empower women in digital trade

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: 14-year-Old Boy Found Frying Eggs After Alleged Housebreak
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Sowore consoles Joshua’s team after fatal crash, decries systemic failures

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending