Connect with us

Sports

See the list of football stars playing their last World Cup

Published

on

Several senior international players have been eliminated from the 2026 World Cup in matches that marked, or are likely to mark, the end of their careers at the tournament.

The list includes Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar, Riyad Mahrez, Guillermo Ochoa and Manuel Neuer.

The tournament is still ongoing, with the quarterfinals yet to be completed.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo. Photo: BBC

Ronaldo’s exit came on Monday, when Portugal were eliminated 1-0 by Spain in the round of 16 in Arlington, Texas.

Mikel Merino scored the only goal of the match in the 91st minute. Spain will play the winner of the United States’ match against Belgium in the quarterfinals.

Ronaldo had said before kick-off that this would be his last World Cup.

He made 27 appearances across six tournaments, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022 and 2026, the second-highest total in the competition’s history behind Argentina’s Lionel Messi, who has 30.

Ronaldo scored 11 goals in total, tied for ninth on the all-time World Cup scoring list, and became the first player to score in six different editions of the tournament after scoring against Uzbekistan in the group stage.

Speaking after the match, Ronaldo said he was leaving with no regrets. “I’ve given my all. I’ve won three titles with Portugal,” he said, adding that Portugal’s 2016 European Championship win ranked, in his view, on the same level as a World Cup.

Portugal head coach Roberto Martinez described Ronaldo’s role in the squad since his own appointment.

Martinez said he arrived to a team with doubts surrounding the captain, but that Ronaldo had since become a role model through his conduct and commitment on the pitch.

See also  Anthony Joshua joins Mourinho, Lewandowski at CAA Sports

Neymar

Neymar

Neymar played his last World Cup match, so far, in Brazil’s 2-1 loss to Norway.

Speaking to TV Globo afterward, he said his international career was over.

The match was played at the same New York/New Jersey stadium where Neymar made his international debut in 2010.

He scored Brazil’s goal from a penalty kick, having played through a calf injury for most of the tournament.

Neymar leaves as Brazil’s all-time leading scorer, with 80 goals ahead of Pele’s 77.

Riyad Mahrez

Riyadh Mahrez. Photo: CAF

Algeria’s Riyad Mahrez was eliminated in the round of 32 following a 2-0 loss to Switzerland.

Speaking directly after the match, Mahrez, 35, said it was his last game for Algeria and that it was now the turn of the next generation of players.

Mahrez leaves international football with 119 caps and 40 goals, and a starring role in Algeria’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations triumph.

Guillermo Ochoa

Guillermo Ochoa. Photo: Flashscore

Guillermo Ochoa’s exit came in Mexico’s 3-2 loss to England. Ochoa, 40, is the third-oldest player at this tournament.

He kissed the goalpost and applauded fans before leaving the pitch, saying afterward that he had given his all and was proud of his experience at the World Cup.

He has said in earlier interviews that he intends to retire from the national team after the tournament, and possibly from playing altogether.

Manuel Neuer

Manuel Neuer. Photo: BBC

Manuel Neuer’s case differs from the others in one respect: he had already retired from international football before returning for this tournament.

Germany were eliminated in the round of 32, losing to Paraguay on penalties.

See also  WAFCON: Morocco, Senegal renew rivalry in crucial Group A clash

Neuer, 40, said afterward that he did not regret the decision to come back, adding that part of his reason for returning was to support the team’s younger players.

Players yet to be decided

A number of other veteran players remain in the tournament, and their World Cup futures are still open.

Lionel Messi, 39, has not confirmed a retirement but is widely expected to treat 2026 as his last World Cup with Argentina, who remain in contention.

Croatia’s Luka Modric, also in his 40s, has not announced a farewell either.

The 2026 World Cup is continuing, with the quarterfinal round yet to be completed.

Whether further players confirm similar exits before the tournament ends remains to be seen.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

PICTURES: Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has returned to Al Nassr training in Riyadh sporting a striking copper-yellow hairstyle, days after marrying longtime partner Georgina Rodríguez in a private ceremony in Portugal following Portugal’s exit from the 2026 World Cup.

The Portuguese forward posted photos of himself in the club’s training kit on his social media accounts on Thursday, captioning the images simply “Back 🟡🔵”. The pictures showed the 41-year-old with a new copper-yellow hair, a clear departure from the dark brown style he had worn for years, including during Portugal’s World Cup campaign.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo rejoined the squad after Portugal’s exit from the 2026 FIFA World Cup, where the team was eliminated by Spain in the Round of 16. He was granted additional time off by Al Nassr following the tournament and his private civil wedding to Rodríguez on August 11 in Cascais, Portugal.

The intimate ceremony was attended by their five children. The couple, who have been together for nearly a decade, confirmed the marriage with a photograph of their wedding rings.

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Last season, Ronaldo helped Al Nassr end a long wait for domestic glory by winning the Saudi Pro League title. He scored 28 league goals as the club finished top with 86 points, two clear of rivals Al Hilal winning his first major trophy with the Riyadh side since joining in late 2022 and Al Nassr’s first league crown since 2019.

 

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

Al Nassr coach Ange Postecoglou and teammates welcomed the captain back with applause during a team session, acknowledging both his return and recent marriage, AS the club also posted images of his arrival, teasing fans with the caption asking who had shown up at the training ground.

See also  Anthony Joshua joins Mourinho, Lewandowski at CAA Sports

Ronaldo now prepares for the new Saudi Pro League season as a married man with Al Nassr preparing to open their title defence against Al Fateh on August 15.

Fans reacted strongly to the post and the fresh look. #SumolaIdowu wrote “Started off a single man, now a married man. Congratulations Cristiano! May your new home last your lifetime.” While #Symplyher14 said “Welcome back to the pitch my GOAT!”

Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano
Ronaldo returns to Al Nassr with golden new look. Photo Credit: IG | Cristiano

#SundayOb posted “Welcome back to the team, time to perform and complete the 1000 goals target.” As #CAgbawe simply noted “That hair Wow!”, #underthetre_e declared “This is absolute GOLD ”.While #D_PenGame added “the GOAT is backkkkk congratulations on your wedding sir.”

The new season marks another chapter for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner as he continues chasing career milestones with Al Nassr.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Four UEFA Super Cup finals played, lost by Unai Emery

Published

on

Unai Emery’s dominance of the UEFA Europa League has been accompanied by an equally striking struggle in the UEFA Super Cup, with his latest defeat against Paris Saint-Germain extending a perfect losing record in the competition.

Emery’s Aston Villa were beaten 2-1 by PSG in Salzburg on Wednesday, despite Brian Madjo’s historic equaliser, leaving the Spanish manager with four defeats from four UEFA Super Cup appearances.

The latest setback came just months after Emery guided Villa to their first major European trophy since 1982, beating Freiburg 3-0 in the Europa League final to claim a record-extending fifth Europa League title.

UEFA describes Emery as the competition’s most successful manager, having won it three times with Sevilla, once with Villarreal and now with Villa.

Yet the Super Cup has repeatedly proved to be his stumbling block.

His first appearance came in 2014, when Sevilla were beaten 2-0 by Real Madrid.

A year later, Sevilla suffered another defeat, losing 5-4 to Barcelona after extra time in one of the competition’s most memorable finals.

UEFA’s official records confirm both results.

Emery returned to the competition in 2021 with Villarreal after winning the Europa League. His side drew 1-1 with Chelsea after extra time before losing 6-5 on penalties.

Five years later, his fourth opportunity ended in another defeat.

PSG took the lead before Villa teenager Madjo levelled shortly before half-time, becoming the youngest scorer in Super Cup history.

Désiré Doué then restored PSG’s lead after the break to secure another European trophy for the French club.

See also  Rafiu Durosinmi set to become Genk’s record signing

The contrast with Emery’s Europa League record could hardly be sharper.

His five triumphs came in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2021 and 2026, while he has also reached six finals in the competition.

For Villa, however, the defeat does not erase what Emery has achieved. His Europa League success against Freiburg ended the club’s 30-year wait for silverware and restored its status as a major force in European football.

But for Emery personally, the Super Cup remains the one European trophy occasion that continues to elude him — four appearances, four defeats.

FULL LIST: Emery’s four Super Cup defeats

2014: Real Madrid 2-0 Sevilla

2015: Barcelona 5-4 Sevilla (after extra time)

2021: Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal (Chelsea won 6-5 on penalties)

2026: PSG 2-1 Aston Villa

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

La Liga: Barcelona prepare third bid for Rodri

Published

on

Barcelona are set to return with a third proposal for Manchester City midfielder Rodri as negotiations between the two clubs continue.

The Catalan giants have already seen offers worth €50 million and €60 million rejected, but they remain confident of reaching an agreement for the Spain international.

In a post on X on Friday, Fabrizio Romano wrote, “Barcelona are returning with a third proposal for Rodri to Manchester City.”

After €50m and €60m packages both rejected, direct club-to-club talks to continue halfway between €60m last bid and €80m fee requested.

Barça remain confident and optimistic.”

Direct talks between Barcelona and Manchester City are expected to continue, with the next proposal likely to fall somewhere between Barcelona’s latest €60 million offer and City’s reported €80 million asking price.

Barcelona remain optimistic about their chances of completing the deal and are prepared to push forward with negotiations rather than walk away.

The coming days could prove decisive, with both clubs continuing discussions in an effort to find a compromise over Rodri’s valuation.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Anthony Joshua joins Mourinho, Lewandowski at CAA Sports
Continue Reading

Trending