Connect with us

News

Why China Opposes US’ Threat Of Military Intervention In Nigeria — Experts

Published

on

Experts have suggested that Nigeria may become another arena of diplomatic dissension between China and the United States which may further strain relations between the two major world superpowers.

The threat of US military intervention in Nigeria over perceived failure of the Nigerian government to tackle alleged genocide against Christians by militant Islamic jihadists has triggered reaction from the Chinese government, which warned against such action, saying it will violate Nigeria’s sovereignty.

China, on Tuesday, urged the international community to respect Nigeria’s sovereignty following the US threat of military action.

A statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the People’s Republic of China’s website, quoted the Spokesperson for China’s Foreign Ministry, Mao Ning, as saying this during a press briefing on Tuesday in Beijing.

“As Nigeria’s strategic partner, China opposes any attempt by foreign powers to use religion or human rights as a pretext to meddle in another country’s internal affairs or impose sanctions and military threats,” she said.

Ning restated China’s support for President Bola Tinubu-led administration, commending the government for guiding the country along a development path tailored to its national conditions.

Reacting to this development, Nigerian experts in international affairs said China’s reaction was based on the recent Comprehensive Strategic Partnership agreement both countries signed last year in Beijing, which was an upgraded version of the two countries’ diplomatic relations.

Speaking on Tuesday, Director of the Centre for China Studies, an Abuja-based intellectual think tank, Charles Onunaiju, said the Chinese government “extended solidarity to Nigeria during trying time based on Comprehensive Strategic Partnership”.

See also  PHOTOS: NAFDAC raises alarm over circulation of counterfeit Cialis Tablet 20mg in Nigeria

Onunaiju added that China does not want a misjudgment of the Nigerian situation to levy war on the country which will complicate things for the country.

He added that, “China denounces the method of US President Donald Trump, which does not align with the standard of the international community based on rules.”

Also speaking  on Tuesday, another expert in international affairs and diplomacy, Dr Austin Maho, noted that Beijing’s reaction to the US threat of interference reflects China’s quest for the sovereign right of Nigeria and the need to protect its strategic partner from the chaos that may ensue from military intervention.

“Based on the Comprehensive Strategic Partnership China sees it as a duty to protect Nigeria from external aggression disguised as fighting insecurity,” Maho said.

China and Nigeria, in In September 2024, established a comprehensive strategic partnership after both sides established strategic partnership in 2005.

The two countries held their first strategic dialogues in 2009. In January 2021, the two countries established the China-Nigeria Intergovernmental Committee mechanism.

However, in the event of any US military action against Nigeria, China will not assist Nigeria militarily as the partnership is not a military pact requiring China to defend Nigeria in the event of such intervention.

Nigeria can only rely on China’s diplomatic support.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Paracetamol use in pregnancy does not cause Autism - WHO

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  ‘I’m Not A Criminal, They Are In Your Offices And Corridors Of Power’ – Baba-Ahmed Recounts DSS Invitation

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Senate didn’t reject e-transmission of results, Abaribe clarifies
Continue Reading

Trending