Oyo State Police Command on Thursday arrested a 26-year-old school gateman, identified as Josiah Ayomide, over the alleged defilement of a four-year-old pupil of his school in Ibadan.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Adewale Osifeso, while addressing newsmen at the Police headquarters, Eleyele, in Ibadan, said the victim had on August 29, 2025, complained of pains in her private part to her eldest sister.
He explained that the victim later told her mother that her school gatekeeper had unlawfully raped her while she was at school.
Osifeso added that the suspect confessed to the crime after his arrest.
“The victim was taken to Police Medical Clinic Eleyele, Ibadan, for medical examination and treatment, and the medical report revealed that the hymen was not intact, with tenderness around the vulva and vagina, accompanied by bruises.
“The suspect would be prosecuted upon completion of investigation.”
In another development, the command also arrested Azeez Kolawole and Isah Fatai at Soka Sanyo area for allegedly stealing goats around Ibadan and its environs using a Toyota Matrix without a number plate.
The PPRO explained that the duo had been arrested and charged to court on two different occasions for the same offence.
He added that the suspects have confessed to the crime, while investigations are ongoing to locate other members of their syndicate.
Other arrests by the command included suspected kidnappers, armed robbers, and hijackers, among others.
Cases of sexual abuse against children in schools have been a growing concern in Nigeria, prompting calls for stricter screening of school staff and enhanced protection measures.
Incidents of school gatekeepers, teachers, and other staff allegedly defiling pupils have been reported in several states, highlighting the vulnerability of children in educational institutions.
Punch Online on August 27 2025, reports that the Bauchi State Police Command arrested at least five men in connection with the alleged rape of a 10-year-old girl in the Zadawa community, Misau Local Government Area.
The Police Public Relations Officer, Ahmed Wakil, in a statement, disclosed that the suspects belonged to a syndicate that repeatedly lured the survivor with N500 and raped her at different times and locations.
He explained that the case was reported on August 12, 2025, by Yusuf Muhammad and Danjuma Muhammad of Misau, who alleged that in July, several individuals lured their daughter (name withheld) with money and assaulted her at different locations.
Medical and child protection experts stress the importance of prompt reporting, medical examination, and psychological support for victims of sexual abuse.
Advocacy groups, such as Stand to End Rape Initiative and Women’s Rights Advancement and Protection Alternative, have repeatedly called on state governments and educational authorities to implement rigorous vetting of school personnel, regular monitoring, and community awareness programs to prevent such crimes.
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.
According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.
The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.
“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.
“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.
“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.
“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.
“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”
Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.
The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.
A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.
“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.
The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.
According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.
Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.
“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read
“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”
The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.
He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.
According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.
He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.