Connect with us

News

PHOTOS: Police officer rejects N800,000 bribe to free armed robbery suspect in Akwa Ibom

Published

on

A senior police officer attached to the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Unit of the Akwa Ibom State Police Command, CSP Ebong Thompson, rejected a bribe of N800,000 offered in an attempt to secure the release of a suspected armed robber and cover up the crime.

The spokesperson of the command, Timfon John, in a statement said the incident occurred on Wednesday, 30th July, 2025.

According to her, the prime suspect, 53-year-old David Samuel Isaac, was arrested after a Samsung smartphone, reportedly stolen at gunpoint, was traced to him.

Investigations revealed that Isaac is a repeat offender, having previously been arrested and charged to court for a similar offence last year. He reportedly returned to criminal activity shortly after being released.

The second suspect, Emmanuel Mendie Peter, was apprehended at the SWAT office while attempting to offer the N800,000 bribe to secure Isaac’s release.

“A police officer in charge of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Unit, CSP Ebong Thompson, rejected N800,000 bribe offered to him on Wednesday, July 30, 2025,” the statement read.

“The money was intended to secure the release of an armed robbery suspect and also cover up the crime. The suspect, 53-year-old David Samuel Isaac, was arrested after a Samsung phone that was gotten at gun point was traced to him.

“Isaac has a history of similar offences as he was arrested and charged to court for similar crimes sometime last year but returned to criminal activities after his release.

“The other suspect, Emmanuel Mendie Peter was arrested after he brought the bribe to the SWAT office to secure the release of the main suspect. He was taken into custody after the offer was rejected.

See also  PHOTOS: Protest rocks Ondo community as bandits demand N80m ransom for abducted couple

“All officers concerned with this discreet investigation received a commendation letter from the Commissioner of Police, CP Baba Mohammed Azare.

“The CP, while addressing officers at the end of the month briefing, charged them to emulate the Distinguished officers.

“Members of the public are therefore warned to desist from compromising police investigation.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  IPOB backs designation of Nigeria as Country of Particular Concern, demands probe of South-East killings

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  FAAN speaks on Kwam 1’s clash with ValueJet pilots in Abuja airport
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  IPOB backs designation of Nigeria as Country of Particular Concern, demands probe of South-East killings

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending