Connect with us

News

Omokri mum as ex-US mayor alleges manipulation

Published

on

A former mayor of Blanco City in Texas, United States of America, Mike Arnold, has accused former presidential aide, Reno Omokri ,of manipulation and dishonesty, alleging that he took inconsistent positions on sensitive issues.

Arnold, who spoke following his recent visit to Nigeria, said Omokri’s change of stance on the alleged Christian genocide in the northern part of the country showed a lack of integrity and credibility.

He said, “Reno clearly just says whatever he is paid to say. He obviously has zero integrity. If he could go from one administration yelling and trying to get the world’s attention to the Christian genocide in the North, and then in the next administration, he calls it a hoax, I don’t think anybody should ever take that man seriously. He didn’t refute his previous claims; he just ignored them as if he never said that. Clearly, he is just a prostitute of rhetoric.”

The former mayor accused Omokri of exploiting their friendship for publicity rather than genuine advocacy, alleging that he was only cultivated as a “PR asset.”

“There is a higher standard for a friend. I knew from the beginning he was cultivating me as a PR asset. He never was concerned about what I cared about. He was cultivating me so that he could quote me as a prominent mayor. I felt God was leading me and that I had a date with destiny, but he is a manipulator, and that is what he does for a living,” he added.

Recounting how their relationship began, Arnold said it started in December 2023 after he reached out to Omokri through his website, having read one of his books on Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: How Nigerian Security Forces Rescued Oyo Kidnap Victims Abducted After 56 Days in Captivity

According to him, Omokri immediately responded through WhatsApp, and the two later had a video call where he (Arnold) explained his research work on internally displaced persons and efforts to raise awareness about the alleged genocide in the country.

He claimed that during their first conversation, Omokri invited him to Kenya to attend his birthday celebration, promising that Jonathan and other prominent figures would be in attendance.

“That was a lie. Goodluck Jonathan was not there. He offered to pay my way but ended up paying only half of the airfare,” Arnold stated.

He also addressed the viral image of him presenting a “key to the city” to Omokri, describing it as a non-official gesture and not an act of the Blanco City government.

“That was a souvenir key from a gift shop. It doesn’t have anything to do with the city; it was not official. The position of mayor is voluntary, and my town is a very small one. That was not an official act as a mayor; that was me as a birthday guest presenting a gift. You can order one tomorrow. Nothing is official or legal about the presentation of the cheap key.”

In a video posted by Omokri on his X (formerly Twitter) handle on January 22, 2024, Arnold was seen presenting the symbolic key while addressing guests at the birthday event.

In the clip, Arnold said, “In your contribution to humanity, making the world a better place, it is my profound honour to give you a key to the City of Blanco as the mayor of the city. You have friends in Texas. You now own Texas.”

See also  Full Text Of US President Donald Trump On War Against Iran

Those present at the event included former governor of Cross River State Donald Duke; former senator and media entrepreneur Ben Murray-Bruce; veteran gospel musician Bishop Pana Paul; Nollywood actor Wale Ojo; and several other friends and relatives of Omokri.

Arnold, who said he had been conducting research in Nigeria since 2010, maintained that his interest in the country stems from a desire to expose what he described as “systematic attacks against Christians” in parts of the North.

The fresh controversy on the alleged Christian genocide has again sparked public debate on whether the ongoing violence in parts of the country is indeed targeted at Christians.

Omokri, who once raised global awareness about religious killings, has in recent years dismissed such claims as exaggerated or politically motivated.

Human rights organisations, including some international Christian groups, have insisted that the violence meets the definition of genocide, citing thousands of deaths, mass displacements, and targeted attacks on churches.

Others, however, argued that the crisis is driven more by terrorism, banditry, and communal clashes than by religious motives.

When contacted by Saturday PUNCH via WhatsApp for his reaction to the allegations, Omokri declined to comment.

As of the time of filing this report, Omokri had yet to issue any statement regarding Arnold’s claims.

His silence is unusual for someone known for quick rebuttals on social and political controversies.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  EFCC detains Energy Commission DG; read why

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Full Text Of US President Donald Trump On War Against Iran
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Assata Shakur, black liberation activist exiled in Cuba, dies at 78

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending