Connect with us

News

FG seeks speedy trial of terrorists

Published

on

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minster of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), has urged the judiciary to expedite hearings in cases involving terrorism, human trafficking, kidnapping and other violent crimes, stressing that the judiciary must support national efforts to combat insecurity.

The AGF made the appeal on Monday in Abuja during the ceremony marking the commencement of the Court of Appeal 2025/2026 Legal Year.

The event was also attended by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, who promised improved accommodationfor judges to allow them discharge their duties without distractions associated with poor living conditions.

In his remarks, the AGF said all hands must be on desk to tackle the country’s insecurity challenges, calling on judges to support the government by fast-tracking the trial of terrorists.

Fagbemi said, “At this solemn juncture in our national life, it is also impossible to ignore the grave challenge of insecurity that confronts our country. From insurgency and terrorism to banditry, kidnapping and violent crimes, these threats imperil not only the safety of our citizens but also the very fabric of our constitutional democracy.

“The judiciary, as the guardian of justice and the custodian of the rule of law, must lend its weight to national efforts to combat insecurity through firm, consistent and courageous adjudication, the courts can ensure that those who threaten peace and stability are held accountable, that impunity is dismantled, and that the sanctity of human life and property is protected.”

He stressed that the judiciary is more effective when terrorism cases are swiftly heard.

See also  Health crisis: Lagos short of 40,000 doctors – Sanwo-Olu

“The judicial system’s effectiveness strengthens when terrorism cases receive swift hearings and resolutions, which demonstrates that terrorism faces immediate and decisive legal action.

“The Federal Government remains deeply committed to combating terrorism through a combination of kinetic and non-kinetic strategies. It recognises that the swift administration of justice is a vital complement to military and intelligence operations.

“Accordingly, rather than resorting to indiscriminate detention or relying solely on battlefield engagements, the government is focused on the timely prosecution of suspects implicated in mass-casualty attacks, kidnap-for-ransom networks, extremist recruitment, and terror-financing activities,” Fagbemi said.

While acknowledging that the courts needed more personnel, he said the present administration was committed to strengthening the judiciary.

“The government is equally mindful that this can only be achieved by enhancing the capacity of the judges who would handle these cases and other cases in the docket of our courts.

“The government of President Bola Tinubu, is therefore committed to the immediate appointment of additional judges of the Federal High Court to reinforce and boost our national counter-terrorism efforts and ensure that terrorism-related cases and other cases are handled promptly and effectively.

“Let me also seize this opportunity to call on all citizens to unite in confronting the scourge of terrorism. This is a time for collective resolve – not distraction – as we work together to secure our nation.”

In his speech, the FCT Minister, Wke,  assured judges of the FCT High Court that budgetary provisions had been made for the construction of additional residential houses to address accommodation challenges facing judicial officers.

See also  PHOTOS: Daughter Of 48th Ooni of Ife dies at 102

He said the housing project formed part of the Federal Government’s broader efforts to strengthen the judiciary by improving the welfare, security and working conditions of judicial officers.

A statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, quoted Wike as saying, “The reasoning of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration is that providing comfortable and secure accommodation allows judges to focus entirely on the timely and efficient administration of justice, free from the distractions of inadequate living conditions.”

He disclosed that, under the President’s directive, the FCT Administration had formally handed over the Certificate of Occupancy for the Supreme Court’s land and commenced full perimeter fencing of the complex to safeguard the nation’s apex court against encroachment and security threats.

According to him, the intervention was long overdue and would serve as a confidence-building measure for the entire judiciary.

“This swift intervention gives the apex court the much-needed confidence that had been lacking in past administrations. This confidence-building action trickles down to every arm of the judiciary,” Wike added.

The FCTA had previously flagged off several judicial infrastructure projects, including the construction of residences for Heads of Courts, a new Magistrate Court complex in the Jabi District, and staff quarters at the Nigerian Law School.

Others include the design and construction of the Court of Appeal complex in Abuja, as well as residential quarters for judges of the National Industrial Court and the Federal High Court.

In his address, Wike reaffirmed the commitment of the FCTA to supporting comprehensive justice sector reforms, stressing that his administration would consolidate existing gains and expand support where necessary.

See also  Iran Army Chief vows response to threats from Trump and Netanyahu

“The FCT Administration remains resolute in its determination to further support the implementation of justice reforms. Our priorities for the 2025/2026 Legal Year are focused on consolidating the gains made and expanding support where it is needed.

“Justice must never be compromised under any circumstances, for it is the bedrock of our democracy and the safeguard of public trust,” the minister said.

Wike expressed optimism that the new legal year would usher in greater efficiency and improved justice delivery for the Court of Appeal.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Tambuwal fights back over N189bn EFCC probe

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tinubu Lands In Lagos After Olubadan’s Coronation
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  CJ declines to probe Fubara, Amaewhule heads to A’Court

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending