Connect with us

News

ECOWAS Court: Nigeria tops countries ignoring judgments

Published

on

Nigeria has the highest number of unenforced judgments issued by the ECOWAS Court of Justice.

Speaking while presenting enforcement statistics for the region on Wednesday during the commemoration of World Human Rights Day, the Court’s Deputy Chief Registrar, Gaye Sowe, said the data showed a persistent pattern of non-compliance across several member states, with Nigeria accounting for the largest backlog.

According to him, Nigeria has 50 outstanding judgments yet to be enforced.

“Nigeria has a total of 125 cases. Out of the 125 cases, 67 were dismissed, 10 enforced, and 48 yet to be enforced. I think recently, if we add the two, that would take the number to about 50,” he said.

He explained that the court had delivered 492 judgments involving the 12 active ECOWAS member states, out of which 192 were categorised as enforceable.

“As of today, the total number of cases filed before the ECOWAS Court of Justice stands at 775. Excluding the AES countries, the total drops to 702. The total number of judgments delivered involving AES countries is 492, while without the AES, it is 419. The court currently has 136 pending cases.

“Out of the 419 judgments involving AES countries, 192 are enforceable. By enforceable, we mean cases in which member states or defendants are required to take specific measures, ” Sowe said.

Breaking down the figures per country, Sowe said, “Republic of Benin: Total judgments – 19; dismissed – 13; unenforced – six; enforced – 0. Republic of Cape Verde: Total – three; dismissed – two; unenforced – one; enforced – 0. Republic of Côte d’Ivoire: Total – 28; dismissed – 19; unenforced – nine; enforced – 0. Ghana: Total – 13; dismissed – six; unenforced – 7; enforced – 0. Guinea-Bissau: Total – one; dismissed – 0; unenforced – one; enforced – 0.

See also  Yahoo boys are geniuses who need redirection, not condemnation - Peter Obi

“Republic of Guinea: Total – 25; dismissed – 7; unenforced – 18; enforced – 0. Liberia: Total – 15; dismissed – 10; unenforced – four; enforced – 1. Nigeria: Total – 125; dismissed – 67; enforced – 10; unenforced – 48 (recently rising to 50). Senegal: Total – 35; dismissed – 23; unenforced – nine; enforced – three.

“Sierra Leone: Total – 18; dismissed – six; unenforced – 11; enforced – one. The Gambia: Total – 13; dismissed – 5; unenforced – five; enforced – 2; 1 struck out. Togo: Total – 58; dismissed – 26; unenforced – 29; partially enforced – one; amicably settled – one; withdrawn – one.”

Sowe added that the ECOWAS Commission, which also appears before the Court as a respondent institution, had 36 judgments against it.

“For the ECOWAS Commission, there are 36 judgments: dismissed – 18; enforced – 14; unenforced – three; amicably settled – one; abandoned – one,” he said.

He noted that more than half of all judgments delivered by the court since inception were dismissed.

“Out of the 419 judgments that have been delivered by the court so far, 54 per cent of those were dismissed cases,” he said.

Sowe said this trend raised concerns about the nature of cases filed before the court, adding that it was an issue the institution would continue to address through outreach. “Probably that is something the court can look into when it goes into various countries to do sensitisation,” he said.

He further disclosed that most member states had established competent national authorities required to enforce judgments.

See also  NASS to harmonise Electoral Bill Monday

“Out of the 12 member states, 10 have done so. We only have Benin and Cabo Verde that haven’t done so yet,” he said.

President of the ECOWAS Community Court of Justice, Ricardo Gonçalves, noted that the court had delivered several judgments advancing rights such as freedom of expression, assembly, education and a healthy environment, most of its decisions remained unimplemented by member states.

He urged ECOWAS countries to fully enforce its judgments, cooperate with national and regional human rights bodies, and ensure victims have access to justice without barriers. It also called for more protection for civil society groups, the media and human rights defenders.

He said, “The court has given several progressive judgments spanning different areas of human rights, such as the rights to life, freedom from torture, expression, association, assembly, education, work, healthy environment, among others. By these judgments, the court has held states accountable for violations of civil and political rights, economic, social and cultural rights, as well as third generation rights. By its progressive interpretation of international human rights norms, the court has significantly contributed to aligning the law and policy of ECOWAS member states to their freely assumed international human rights obligations.

“The court is concerned that ECOWAS member states are yet to implement most of its judgments. Without effective and total implementation of the court’s judgments, the promise of human rights protection offered by the 2005 Supplementary Protocol becomes a mirage. “

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Iran targets US military sites in Bahrain, Kuwait after wave of US strikes

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  ‘I hope social media won’t destroy Africa’ – Akpabio on story of Senate’s creation of 12 new states
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Who is the new INEC chair working for?

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending