Connect with us

News

Military rolls out anti-attack measures for Christmas

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters has announced that proactive measures are in place to prevent attacks during the Christmas festivities across Nigeria.

In a statement on Sunday, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, said the Armed Forces of Nigeria, in collaboration with other security agencies, had intensified operations in identified vulnerable areas.

“The DHQ wishes to inform the public that robust and proactive measures aimed at preventing any attacks during the Christmas festivities have been emplaced. Additional troops have been deployed to strategic locations and routes, while special forces units and air support elements have been placed on high alert to ensure rapid response capability,” the statement read in part.

Onoja added that surveillance activities, including aerial monitoring and intelligence gathering, had been heightened to track the movement and communication of suspected criminal groups.

Unit commanders have been directed to strengthen patrols, establish fortified checkpoints, and maintain close collaboration with community leaders, local vigilante groups, and state security formations.

“Furthermore, surveillance efforts—including aerial monitoring and intelligence gathering—have been heightened to track the movement and communication patterns of suspected criminal groups. Unit commanders in all areas have been directed to strengthen patrols, establish fortified checkpoints, and maintain close collaboration with community leaders, local vigilante groups, and state security formations,” he said.

The DHQ emphasised that the Armed Forces remain committed to protecting lives and property, with national security and stability remaining a top priority as citizens prepare to celebrate.

Onoja also urged public cooperation, stressing the importance of vigilance and prompt reporting of suspicious activities.

See also  Otti unveils Abia-ANPA medical mission, seeks more collaboration

“Citizens’ cooperation remains a critical component of national security. All reports will be treated with urgency and confidentiality. We urge citizens to remain calm but vigilant, and to promptly report suspicious activities to the nearest security formation,” he said.

He further conveyed Christmas and New Year greetings from the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. O.O. Oluyede, while encouraging wide dissemination of the advisory to the public.

Similarly, the Rivers State Police Command, on Sunday, nnounced enhanced security measures for the Yuletide season, with tactical units deployed to waterways, recreational centres, and other identified hotspots across the state.

The command’s spokesperson Grace Iringe-Koko, said the initiative is part of a comprehensive security framework aimed at providing visible policing, strengthening surveillance, and facilitating rapid response to potential threats.

“The Rivers State Police Command has initiated proactive measures to guarantee a peaceful and secure Yuletide season, underscoring the imperative of synergy with sister security agencies to maintain law and order across the state,” the statement read.

Iringe-Koko added that Commissioner of Police Olugbenga Adepoju had directed area commanders and divisional officers to ensure strategic deployments in collaboration with stakeholders to make the celebrations safe and orderly.

“Under the leadership of CP Adepoju, tactical teams have been deployed to strategic locations, including entry and exit points, waterways, motor parks, hotels, recreation centres, churches, mosques, and other identified hotspots. This deployment is designed to provide visible policing, enhance surveillance, and facilitate rapid response to potential security breaches,” she said.

The police command also emphasized community engagement, working closely with traditional rulers, youth organisations, and religious leaders to foster trust, encourage early intelligence sharing, and prevent incidents during the festive period.

See also  TCN commences 10-day maintenance on Gombe transmission substation

Residents were advised to take personal precautions, such as securing homes, supervising children to prevent unsafe activities like fireworks, and reporting suspicious behaviour promptly.

“The Rivers State Police Command reaffirms its commitment to safeguarding lives and property before, during, and after the Christmas celebration. Citizens are encouraged to report incidents or concerns to the nearest police station or via dedicated public lines,” Iringe-Koko said.

The police spokesperson concluded by extending warm Yuletide greetings to residents.

“The Rivers State Police Command extends warm wishes to all Christians for a joyous Christmas and a prosperous New Year,” she added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Marketers blame depots as petrol nears N1,000/litre

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Airlines reject fresh $11.50 NIS fee
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  TCN commences 10-day maintenance on Gombe transmission substation

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending