Connect with us

News

Military rolls out anti-attack measures for Christmas

Published

on

The Defence Headquarters has announced that proactive measures are in place to prevent attacks during the Christmas festivities across Nigeria.

In a statement on Sunday, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. Michael Onoja, said the Armed Forces of Nigeria, in collaboration with other security agencies, had intensified operations in identified vulnerable areas.

“The DHQ wishes to inform the public that robust and proactive measures aimed at preventing any attacks during the Christmas festivities have been emplaced. Additional troops have been deployed to strategic locations and routes, while special forces units and air support elements have been placed on high alert to ensure rapid response capability,” the statement read in part.

Onoja added that surveillance activities, including aerial monitoring and intelligence gathering, had been heightened to track the movement and communication of suspected criminal groups.

Unit commanders have been directed to strengthen patrols, establish fortified checkpoints, and maintain close collaboration with community leaders, local vigilante groups, and state security formations.

“Furthermore, surveillance efforts—including aerial monitoring and intelligence gathering—have been heightened to track the movement and communication patterns of suspected criminal groups. Unit commanders in all areas have been directed to strengthen patrols, establish fortified checkpoints, and maintain close collaboration with community leaders, local vigilante groups, and state security formations,” he said.

The DHQ emphasised that the Armed Forces remain committed to protecting lives and property, with national security and stability remaining a top priority as citizens prepare to celebrate.

Onoja also urged public cooperation, stressing the importance of vigilance and prompt reporting of suspicious activities.

See also  Minister reveals how Benin sought Nigeria’s military help to foil coup

“Citizens’ cooperation remains a critical component of national security. All reports will be treated with urgency and confidentiality. We urge citizens to remain calm but vigilant, and to promptly report suspicious activities to the nearest security formation,” he said.

He further conveyed Christmas and New Year greetings from the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. O.O. Oluyede, while encouraging wide dissemination of the advisory to the public.

Similarly, the Rivers State Police Command, on Sunday, nnounced enhanced security measures for the Yuletide season, with tactical units deployed to waterways, recreational centres, and other identified hotspots across the state.

The command’s spokesperson Grace Iringe-Koko, said the initiative is part of a comprehensive security framework aimed at providing visible policing, strengthening surveillance, and facilitating rapid response to potential threats.

“The Rivers State Police Command has initiated proactive measures to guarantee a peaceful and secure Yuletide season, underscoring the imperative of synergy with sister security agencies to maintain law and order across the state,” the statement read.

Iringe-Koko added that Commissioner of Police Olugbenga Adepoju had directed area commanders and divisional officers to ensure strategic deployments in collaboration with stakeholders to make the celebrations safe and orderly.

“Under the leadership of CP Adepoju, tactical teams have been deployed to strategic locations, including entry and exit points, waterways, motor parks, hotels, recreation centres, churches, mosques, and other identified hotspots. This deployment is designed to provide visible policing, enhance surveillance, and facilitate rapid response to potential security breaches,” she said.

The police command also emphasized community engagement, working closely with traditional rulers, youth organisations, and religious leaders to foster trust, encourage early intelligence sharing, and prevent incidents during the festive period.

See also  Voter register review begins as INEC closes registration

Residents were advised to take personal precautions, such as securing homes, supervising children to prevent unsafe activities like fireworks, and reporting suspicious behaviour promptly.

“The Rivers State Police Command reaffirms its commitment to safeguarding lives and property before, during, and after the Christmas celebration. Citizens are encouraged to report incidents or concerns to the nearest police station or via dedicated public lines,” Iringe-Koko said.

The police spokesperson concluded by extending warm Yuletide greetings to residents.

“The Rivers State Police Command extends warm wishes to all Christians for a joyous Christmas and a prosperous New Year,” she added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Treating Bandits With Kid Gloves Is Dangerous, Catholic Bishop Warns Tinubu’s Govt

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  On food price crash, farmers fault FG’s order as agro-imports hit N2.2tn

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Voter register review begins as INEC closes registration
Continue Reading

Trending