Connect with us

News

Lagos plaza death toll hits five as fire razes another market

Published

on

The death toll from the fire that gutted the Great Nigeria Building in the Balogun Market area of Lagos Island, Lagos State, has risen to five, as two more bodies were recovered from the rubble on Sunday.

This came as another fire outbreak on Monday evening gutted a section of the Arena Market in the Bolade area of Oshodi, Lagos State.

The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, in a statement by its Controller General, Margret Adeseye, stated that it received a distress call at about 5:50pm, prompting the immediate deployment of firefighting units, which arrived at the scene within five minutes.

She added that the fire affected five 40-foot container shops arranged in two rows, bringing the total number of affected shops to 10.

The statement read, “The Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service received a distress call at approximately 17:50 hours today reporting a fire outbreak at Arena Market, Bolade, Oshodi.

Firefighting units were promptly dispatched and arrived at the scene within five minutes. At about 17:55 hours, fire crews from Bolade, Ilupeju, Ikeja, and Alausa Fire Stations responded swiftly and collaboratively to contain the incident.

“The fire affected a section of the market consisting of five (5) 40-foot container shops arranged in two rows, making a total of 10 shops. The affected area is primarily used for the storage and sale of clothing materials, which were stocked in bales. The fire has been confined to the affected section and curtailed. The situation is firmly under control, and there is no risk of the fire spreading to other parts of the market.”

See also  Nigeria's domestic debt service hits N1.7trn Q2 2025

According to the fire service, the inferno was successfully confined to the affected section and brought under control, with no risk of it spreading to adjoining areas of the market.

On the GNI incident, PUNCH Metro reported that the fire started on the fourth floor and spread to the sixth floor of the 25-storey building before engulfing the remaining floors and adjoining structures.

A detached section of the plaza, estimated at about seven floors, collapsed during the inferno, trapping traders and market assistants.

While seven individuals were rescued shortly after the collapse, three bodies were recovered from the rubble on Friday.

Sources at the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency told PUNCH Metro on Tuesday that the additional bodies were pulled out during ongoing search-and-rescue operations on Sunday.

“We recovered two more bodies on Sunday. The bodies were already burnt because of the fire, and we could not recognise who they were. One of the bodies was also mangled.

“The goods under the rubble are still a reason why the fire is still burning under it. It is no longer an emergency situation other than recovery,” the source disclosed.

Our correspondent gathered on Tuesday that more people have begun to throng the scene of the incident in search of their loved ones.

There were also indications that the customers who had come to purchase goods were also caught up in the incident.

“More people have been coming to this place since Sunday in search of their loved ones who had come to purchase items in the market. They claimed they last heard from them on Wednesday when the incident happened,” a shop owner in the market, Wunmi Olabisi, told PUNCH Metro.

See also  PHOTOS: FG secure release of Nigerian pastor in Republic of Benin through presidential pardon

Emergency responders have continued excavation and search efforts amid growing anxiety from families awaiting information on missing relatives.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported that no fewer than 20 individuals were still trapped under the rubble.

Relatives who spoke to our correspondent in separate interviews on Sunday also provided names and photographs of their affected loved ones.

The identified victims include Elo Chukwu, Omeigbo Chuwuebuka, Omeigbo Chukwudubem, Kayode Omoniyi, Ikechukwudi Asobi and Murphy Aborinwa.

Others are Onyeka Obinwa, Mercy Ukamaka, and Taofeeq Opera, as well as a trader identified as Chiding and two of his boys.

The remaining trapped persons include several other market assistants whose identities could not be ascertained.

Reacting to the incident, the Shitta-Bey family of Lagos, owners of the GNI Building, expressed deep sorrow over the fire incident that recently gutted the high-rise structure, describing it as a tragic occurrence.

In a statement made available to PUNCH Metro on Tuesday, the family said its thoughts and prayers were with the victims and their families affected by the incident.

The family assured the public that it was working closely with relevant authorities to ensure that affected individuals received the necessary support and assistance.

“The Shitta-Bey family of Lagos, the owner of Shitta-Bey Court, popularly called GNI Building, is deeply saddened by the recent fire accident in our high-rise building.

“Our hearts go out to the victims and their families affected by this tragic incident. We want to assure the public and residents that the family is working closely with authorities to ensure that affected individuals receive all necessary support and assistance.

See also  I will stop rigging, vote-buying, Amupitan vows ahead of 2027 elections

“We urge everyone to disregard any false narratives or misinformation being spread by the former tenant/caretaker, Great Nigeria Insurance Ltd (GNI), under whose management the building got burnt in November 2013 but was left in a dangerous state for almost six years until the family, pursuant to the Order of the High Court of Lagos State dated the 31st day of October, 2019, recovered possession from the company and rehabilitated the building.”

The family further reassured residents and stakeholders that the building was adequately insured and pledged its commitment to restoring the structure, including the mosque within the premises, while ensuring the safe return of all residents.

It added that updates would be provided as more information became available.

punch.ng

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Disu inaugurates state police implementation committee

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  I will stop rigging, vote-buying, Amupitan vows ahead of 2027 elections
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Disu inaugurates state police implementation committee

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending