Connect with us

News

GNI fire: Three siblings burnt to death to be buried on Jan 14

Published

on

The three Omatu brothers who died in the inferno that gutted the 25-storey Great Nigeria Insurance House on Lagos Island, Lagos State, will be buried on January 14.

PUNCH Metro reported that the fire started on the fourth floor and spread to the sixth floor of the plaza before engulfing the remaining floors and adjoining structures.

A detached section of the plaza, estimated to be about seven floors high, collapsed during the inferno, trapping some traders and market assistants.

One of the families worst hit by the incident was the Omatu family, which lost three brothers identified as Steve, 40; Casmir, 39; and Collins, 37.

The siblings were said to have been trapped in the building and are believed to have died in the fire.

A surviving twin, Camillus Omatu, reportedly escaped the blaze.

Giving an update on Monday, a sister of the deceased, Mimi Nonyerem, said a service of songs would be held on January 7, while the burial would take place on January 14.

In a Facebook post, Nonyerem wrote, “The burial date for our brothers has been scheduled for January 14, 2026. I humbly request your prayers for divine protection over my family. If you are in Ihiala, Anambra State, your presence would be greatly appreciated.”

According to the obituary she shared, the service of songs will be held in Lagos State, while the burial ceremony will take place in Anambra State.

On January 3, Nonyerem had marked the posthumous birthday of one of the deceased brothers, Steve.

See also  Natasha resumes at Senate, calls Akpabio dictator

“Happy birthday, Uncle Steve. I will wake up from this dream,” she wrote.

Another relative, William Omatu, also posted, “Happy birthday, nwannem Stephen Onyeka Omatu. Congratulations on your first birthday in heaven. May the angels and saints celebrate you.”

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency stated that preliminary investigations revealed the fire originated from an apartment on the fourth floor of the building, before spreading to the sixth floor and other areas.

Shop owners were said to have fled the scene in panic as the inferno raged, while emergency responders battled for hours and days to bring the fire under control.

As of last Monday, about 20 people were reportedly still trapped under the rubble, with relatives submitting names and photographs of their missing loved ones.

Relatives who earlier spoke to PUNCH Metro in separate interviews provided names and photographs of their affected loved ones.

The victims include Elo Chukwu, Omeigbo Chuwuebuka, Omeigbo Chukwudubem, Kayode Omoniyi, Ikechukwudi Asobi, and Murphy Aborinwa.

Others are Onyeka Obinwa, Mercy Ukamaka, and Taofeeq Opera, as well as a trader identified as Chiding and two of his boys.

PUNCH Metro further learnt that the remaining trapped persons include several other market assistants whose identities could not be ascertained.

Meanwhile, emergency responders have so far recovered eight bodies from the rubble, while recovery operations are still ongoing at the scene of the incident.

The Controller General of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Services, in a statement on Saturday, stated that preliminary assessments indicated serious fire safety violations.

See also  LASBCA reaffirms commitment to enforcing building regulations

“These include overstocking of combustible materials from floor to ceiling with little or no ventilation, absence of proper fire safety infrastructure, unsafe market practices such as generator usage within buildings, shops constructed around transformers, and other hazardous activities.

“Such conditions can lead to self-generated heat build-up and spontaneous ignition, even without external triggers,” she wrote.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Kanu Fails To Open Defence Again, Court Adjourns Until Monday

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  “We Cannot Sacrifice Our Children On The Altar Of Trade” – NAFDAC Defends Ban On Sachet Alcohol
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: No Ransom Or Negotiations - Gov Ododo Speaks After Dramatic Rescue of NECO Candidates in Kogi

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending