Connect with us

News

VIDEO: Russia strikes Ukraine with Oreshnik ballistic missile, one of its most advanced weapons

Published

on

Russia launched a hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile at Ukraine overnight on Thursday, marking a rare use of one of its most advanced weapons as Moscow intensified attacks amid freezing winter temperatures.

The strike was the first deployment of the Oreshnik missile in more than a year. The weapon is capable of carrying multiple warheads and can be fitted with either conventional or nuclear payloads.

In a statement on Friday, Russia’s Ministry of Defense said its armed forces carried out a “massive strike with high-precision long-range land- and sea-based weapons,” including the Oreshnik mobile medium-range missile system.

Russian authorities did not specify the exact target of the Oreshnik strike, but Ukrainian officials reported explosions and a ballistic missile hitting a critical infrastructure facility in the western city of Lviv.

Ukraine’s Air Force said the missile was traveling at approximately 13,000 kilometers per hour along a ballistic trajectory, noting that its exact type would be confirmed after examining recovered fragments. That speed is roughly 10 times the speed of sound. Russian military officials have previously said the Oreshnik has a range capable of reaching across Europe.

Russia first used the missile in November 2024, striking the city of Dnipro, even though the system was still under development at the time. Last month, Moscow released footage showing what it said was the deployment of the Oreshnik missile system in neighboring Belarus, a close ally.

Ukraine’s Foreign Minister said the strike, carried out close to the borders of the European Union and NATO, posed a serious threat to European security and called for a strong international response.

See also  Kano gov unveils sickle cell centre, disease control complex

Russia said the latest wave of attacks was in retaliation for what it claimed was a Ukrainian attempt to strike Russian President Vladimir Putin’s residence last month, a claim disputed by US officials, who said Ukraine was not targeting a residence used by Putin.

The missile strike came as Russia continued a broader overnight assault involving dozens of missiles and hundreds of drones. Ukraine’s Air Force said Moscow fired 36 missiles and 242 drones in total.

In Kyiv, drone strikes began around midnight, hitting residential areas and damaging critical infrastructure. Large parts of the city were plunged into darkness as temperatures dropped to minus five degrees Celsius. City authorities said four people were killed and at least 10 others injured.

In Lviv, local officials said there were no reports of casualties following the missile strike, adding that civilian buildings and residential areas were not affected.

Russia has stepped up attacks on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure in recent weeks, a strategy it has used during previous winters. The strikes have left tens of thousands without electricity or heating during extreme cold. Ukraine’s president has said the goal is to sow chaos and apply psychological pressure on civilians.

The escalation comes amid rising tensions between Russia and the West. Moscow recently reiterated that any Western troops deployed to Ukraine under a future peace deal would be considered “legitimate targets,” following pledges by the UK and France to send forces if an agreement is reached.

Tensions have also been heightened by the recent seizure of a Russian-flagged oil tanker by US forces in the Atlantic Ocean. Russia condemned the move, arguing it violated international maritime law, while the United States said the vessel had been sanctioned for carrying illicit oil.

See also  Shiites protest in Lagos over Iran’s invasion, Ayatollah Khamenei’s death

The Kremlin has yet to comment publicly on the tanker seizure or the broader diplomatic fallout surrounding the latest developments.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Why Nigerian Airports Do Not Have Wi-Fi – Tinubu’s Minister, Keyamo Explains

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Why Nigerian Airports Do Not Have Wi-Fi – Tinubu’s Minister, Keyamo Explains
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Shiites protest in Lagos over Iran’s invasion, Ayatollah Khamenei’s death

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending