Connect with us

News

N30bn relief: Oyo cries politics as HEDA drags Makinde to EFCC

Published

on

The Human and Environmental Development Agenda has petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over alleged “diversion, misapplication and criminal breach of trust involving the N30bn released by the Federal Government to the Oyo State Government in the aftermath of the January 2024 Bodija explosion in Ibadan.”

The petition, signed by HEDA Chairman, Mr Olanrewaju Suraju, and addressed to the EFCC Chairman, Mr Olanipekun Olukoyede, queried the status of the fund released for the compensation of explosion victims, reconstruction and emergency relief.

In the petition dated January 5, 2026, the group expressed concern that only about N4.5bn intervention funds were reportedly applied to relief and compensation for victims, while the FG’s N30bn remained largely unaccounted for.

“The organisation is concerned that only about N4.5bn intervention funds were reportedly applied to relief and compensation for victims, while the entire N30bn remains largely unaccounted for,” the petition read.

There had been furore in the public space after a former Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose, during a national television interview, raised the alarm over the FG’s release of N50bn to the Oyo State Government as intervention funds for the explosion victims and Old Bodija reconstruction.

The Oyo State Government had acknowledged receipt of the FG funds but clarified that it received N30bn, which it said remained untouched until it gets the balance of N20bn.

Following the state government’s disclosure, victims of the explosion demanded the release of the N30bn to complement earlier support received, which they described as inadequate compensation.

See also  Companies sink N401bn into alternative power in three months due to blackouts

Speaking with The PUNCH on Sunday,41 arrested as Benue probes alleged ‘slaughterhouse’ the Oyo State Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Mr Dotun Oyelade, said the government’s earlier stance that the N30bn remained “untouched” subsists.

The state government had said it disbursed N4.085bn as support and compensation to victims of the explosion, adding that it spent N24.6bn from its own resources on Bodija and its environment following the disaster.

Oyelade said the unending furore over the N30bn fund might not be unconnected with 2027 politicking, which the government was ready for.

He said, “The Oyo State Government is at peace with the comprehensive and convincing statement issued on the unfortunate incident.

“We stand solidly by our statement and refer everyone to same. It’s 2026, the eve of the 2027 general elections. We understand and we are ready.”

HEDA, in the petition made available to The PUNCH on Sunday, raised questions about transparency and accountability, noting that the funds were kept in a commercial bank at interest for over a year without public disclosure by the Oyo State Government.

The group demanded that the EFCC mandate the Oyo State Government to provide transparent public disclosure or a comprehensive account of the total intervention funds received, how they were spent and the status of any unspent balance.

It added, “These allegations raise serious concerns bordering on corruption, abuse of office, diversion of public funds, criminal breach of trust and possible money laundering, all of which fall within the statutory mandate of the EFCC.”

See also  Diezani lavished over N4bn in London luxury store – UK prosecutor

While acknowledging that Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution grants immunity from prosecution to a sitting governor, HEDA stressed that such immunity does not bar investigation, especially on matters involving public funds.

“Constitutional immunity does not preclude investigation, particularly in issues relating to accountability and the management of public resources,” the statement read.

The group therefore charged the EFCC to launch a thorough, impartial and professional investigation into the “receipt, management and utilisation of all Federal Government intervention funds released to Oyo State in connection with the Bodija explosion.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  CBN announces new withdrawal limit, removes deposit cap

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  New Curriculum - Full List of JSS, SS subjects
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Nigeria, UAE scrap tariffs on over 13,000 goods

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending