Connect with us

News

Tinubu posts three ambassador-designates to France, US, UK

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has approved the posting of three ambassador-designates to France, the United States, and the United Kingdom.

The approval was announced in a statement issued on Thursday by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga.

“The President has approved the posting of three ambassador-designates out of the 68 confirmed by the Senate last December,” Onanuga said.

The posting includes Ambassador Ayodele Oke, Colonel Lateef Are, and Ambassador Amin Dalhatu, covering France, the United States, and the United Kingdom.

He said Ambassador Oke has been appointed to France, while Colonel Are will serve in the United States.

“The posting of Ambassador Ayodele Oke to France and Colonel Lateef Are to the United States has been confirmed by the President.”

He added that Tinubu also approved the posting of Ambassador Amin Dalhatu as high commissioner-designate to the United Kingdom.

“Ambassador Amin Dalhatu, former Nigerian ambassador to South Korea, has been posted as the high commissioner-designate to the United Kingdom.”

The presidential spokesman said the approvals were formally communicated to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“In a memo to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the President urged the ministry to notify the governments of the four countries about the ambassador-designates, in line with established diplomatic procedures.”

He explained that the postings were drawn from the list of ambassadorial nominees earlier screened by the National Assembly.

“These postings are part of the ambassadorial nominees confirmed by the Senate in December,” Onanuga stated.

Onanuga had earlier named former governor of Kebbi State, Usman Isa Dakingari Suleiman, as ambassador-designate to Turkey, saying the appointment was made ahead of Tinubu’s scheduled visit to the country next week.

See also  PHOTOS: 30 feared d3ad as boat capsizes in Jigawa

However, he issued another statement a few hours later, clarifying that there had been a naming mix-up and that the posting is still under review.

PUNCH Online had reported in December 2025 that the Senate confirmed 64 ambassadorial nominees forwarded by President Tinubu.

According to the report, the confirmation followed the adoption of a report by the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs.

The committee said “all the nominees were screened and found suitable for appointment.”

The Senate had earlier confirmed three non-career nominees — Lateef Kayode Are, Aminu Dalhatu and Emmanuel Ayodele Oke — bringing the total number of confirmed ambassadors to 67.

Among those cleared were former Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau; former presidential aide, Ita Enang; and former Special Adviser on New Media to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Reno Omokri.

Others include former INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu; former Governor of Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi; and former Governor of Abia State, Okezie Ikpeazu.

In all, the Senate confirmed 34 career ambassadors and high commissioners and 30 non-career ambassadors and high commissioners.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  South West states tighten borders amid banditry surge in Kwara

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  South West states tighten borders amid banditry surge in Kwara
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  FG, states shut schools as terrorists abduct 215 Niger pupils

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending