Connect with us

Education

JAMB bars unmonitored CBT centers from 2026 UTME registration

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has ruled that any Computer-Based Test centre whose registration activities cannot be monitored remotely will not be allowed to participate in the 2026 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination registration.

The Board announced this in its weekly bulletin published on its website on Monday.

According to JAMB, the measure, tagged “No Vision, No Registration, No UTME,” is part of efforts to curb registration infractions and restore the integrity of its examination processes.

The Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, made the disclosure at a stakeholders’ meeting with Peace Monitors, Chief Technical Advisers, Chief External Examiners, as well as zonal and state coordinators involved in monitoring CBT centres during the 2026 UTME registration exercise.

Oloyede said all CBT centres participating in the 2026 UTME registration would be monitored live from JAMB National Headquarters, Abuja.

He, however, said any centre that cannot be covered or viewed live from the board headquarters will not be able to register and hold 2026 UTME.

“Any centre whose registration activities cannot be viewed from the JAMB National Headquarters, Abuja, will not be paid, and such registration may be invalidated,” he said.

The registrar also stressed the compulsory use of Microsoft or Digitech live cameras for UTME registration, noting that only the approved devices would be allowed for capturing the second image during registration.

He explained that the measure was introduced to minimise manipulation of candidates’ pictures, which, he said, was detected during the 2025 UTME registration exercise.

Giving specifications for approved equipment, Oloyede said all existing CBT centres must migrate to HIKVision Closed Circuit Television systems, with HIKVision recommended as the Network Video Recorder or Digital Video Recorder.

See also  Ajaero faults partial implementation of minimum wage in Abia varsity

“The NVRs must have a minimum of 16 channels to cover all areas of the examination centre,” he said.

He added that all CCTV systems must be wired, noting that wireless CCTV systems would not be permitted.

According to him, CCTV cameras must cover the examination area, verification area, holding room, walkways, examination hall, server room, as well as entrance and exit doors.

“Erring centres would be sanctioned, including possible prosecution,” Oloyede warned.

The registrar further stated that JAMB would not bear the cost of reconfiguring CCTV routers for any centre, adding that affected centres must handle such costs before being allowed to operate.

He recalled that centres and individuals previously involved in unwholesome practices had been delisted and were currently being prosecuted, warning that the Board would not hesitate to sanction any centre or individual found culpable of examination malpractice.

PUNCH Online reports that JAMB officially commences registration of candidates for the 2026 UTME on Monday (today).

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Zamfara varsity gets new VC

Published

on

Prof. Tukur Adamu has taken over as the fourth substantive Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Gusau, in Zamfara State, succeeding Prof. Mu’azu Abubakar.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Adamu was recently appointed as the university’s fourth substantive Vice-Chancellor.

Speaking in Gusau on Tuesday at the handing-over and taking-over ceremony, the incoming VC said he would build on the achievements of Abubakar.

“I will give priority to infrastructure, human capital, academic development, staff and students’ welfare, as well as ensure a suitable environment for teaching and learning.

“I look forward to working with all segments of the university.

“We will continue partnering with all stakeholders, especially the Zamfara Government, traditional institutions, and our host community,” he explained.

Adamu thanked President Bola Tinubu, the Federal Ministry of Education, and the university’s Governing Council for his appointment.

Also speaking, the outgoing VC, Abubakar, thanked the university community, Sabongida town, its immediate community, and all stakeholders for contributing to the various successes recorded during his tenure.

“I stand here today to hand over the affairs of this great institution to my successor.

“All the achievements recorded in this university under my administration could not have been achieved without the support of the stakeholders.

“Alhamdulillah, today, I am leaving the university in an excellent position,” he said.

He urged his successor to consolidate on university development.

Abubakar commended the university’s Governing Council for giving him the opportunity and urged the university community to give maximum support to his successor.

See also  Ajaero faults partial implementation of minimum wage in Abia varsity

In their separate remarks, the Heads of Departments, Deans of Faculties, and representatives of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) commended the outgoing VC for bringing tremendous achievements to the institution.

They assured the incoming VC of their support and cooperation for continued development at the university. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Education

Some private universities running like business centres – Ex-NOUN VC

Published

on

The pioneer Vice-Chancellor of the National Open University of Nigeria, Prof. Olugbemiro Jegede, has warned that some private universities in Nigeria are being run primarily as profit-driven ventures rather than academic institutions, a trend he said could lead to their eventual collapse.

Prof. Jegede raised the concern on Thursday in Abuja while delivering a public lecture organised by the Federal Government College, Warri, as part of activities marking the school’s 60th anniversary. His remarks come amid growing pressure on limited university spaces, as thousands of candidates prepare for the 2026 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and other admission-related exams conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

The Emeritus Professor noted that the country’s current university infrastructure is insufficient to meet the needs of Nigeria’s growing student population.

“I think we are almost getting to 200 institutions now. Given the population of Nigeria, we don’t have enough universities. Even the ones we have, their carrying capacity is very low. Many of these universities cannot take more than 1,000 or 2,000 students. Some private universities don’t have more than 500 students. Many will soon close down because of the way they are running it,” he said.

Jegede attributed the problem largely to the misconception among some proprietors that universities should generate quick profits. “Many people who set up these private tertiary institutions believe that it is a business venture. As soon as they set it up, next month they are asking, ‘Where’s the money?’”

He stressed that establishing a university requires long-term commitment and patience. “People don’t know that when you start a private university, it will take between seven and 10 years to break even. Things need to change,” he said.

See also  Faith divide widens: Students protest religious inequality at Gombe university

Advocating a shift toward open and distance learning, Jegede highlighted the National Open University of Nigeria as a sustainable model for expanding access to higher education. “Why establish physical schools when you can establish open universities? That’s what this country needs now,” he said.

Citing NOUN’s achievements since its establishment in 2002/2003, he said the university has produced nearly 750,000 graduates. “That’s just one university. The biggest face-to-face university in this country will not have more than 40,000 or 50,000 students. You can imagine how many conventional universities it would take to match NOUN’s output. Nigeria would need nearly 30 conventional universities to do the same,” he said.

Beyond tertiary education, Jegede expressed concern over the declining state of unity schools, particularly Federal Government Colleges (FGCs), pointing to insecurity as the biggest threat to the schools’ national integration mandate.

Echoing his concerns, Dr Godwin Alo, Global President of the FGC World Students Association, said insecurity was eroding diversity and unity within the schools. He explained that students from certain parts of the country are discouraged from enrolling due to safety concerns.

“When you say you are a unity school but security challenges are reducing diversity among students, you have to face the truth,” Alo said.

He further warned that declining enrolment from some regions threatens the survival of alumni networks. “When students from these branches don’t come to schools like Warri, those branches will die a natural death. If we need to address that, we need to tackle the root causes, such as insecurity. For any nation, once you’re not secure, you have no nation,” he stressed.

See also  NANS denies involvement in #FreeNnamdiKanu protest

The lecture highlighted systemic challenges in Nigeria’s educational sector, including underfunded institutions, limited capacity, and insecurity, while urging policymakers and stakeholders to adopt long-term, sustainable solutions for both higher education and secondary schools.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Education

1,032 students gets N110,000 each from C’River lawmaker

Published

on

The Senator representing Cross River South, Senator Asuquo Ekpenyong, has empowered not fewer than 1,032 students with a cash award of N110,000 each to support their academic pursuits.

The education support programme was held in Calabar, and witnessed a large turnout of undergraduate and postgraduate students from federal and state institutions, colleges of education, health technology schools, and schools of nursing.

The programme was designed to provide N100,000 per student, but Ekpenyong announced an additional N10,000 as lunch support, bringing the total disbursement to N110,000 per beneficiary.

Ekpenyong encouraged the students to look beyond the financial assistance and draw inspiration from the broader developmental strides in Cross River State and Nigeria.

He said, “I urge all the students to look beyond the financial assistance and take their studies very seriously. Draw your inspiration from what you have seen. Most especially the developmental strides in the state.”

He highlighted the achievements of Senator Bassey Otu and Bola Ahmed Tinubu, noting that their initiatives are making a positive impact.

“The People’s First administration of Governor Bassey Otu and Renewed Hope agenda of President Bola Tinubu are steadily transforming the state and the nation”, he added.

The lawmaker reaffirmed his dedication to investing in education as a critical tool for human capital development and sustainable growth in Cross River South.

Mr Ewelu Ewelu, the Postgraduate students’ president of the University of Cross River State, expressed gratitude to the Senator, saying, “His intervention is legendary and impactful in easing the financial burden faced by students.”

See also  Ajaero faults partial implementation of minimum wage in Abia varsity

He added, “The intervention will ease the financial burden faced by students on campus. And we appreciate him for this gesture.”

Several beneficiaries also shared their appreciation for the support.

Continue Reading

Trending