Connect with us

News

Conference committee must retain electronic transmission – Dickson

Published

on

The lawmaker representing Bayelsa West Senatorial District, Seriake Dickson, on Wednesday urged members of the Senate-House of Representatives conference committee on the Electoral Amendment Bill to adopt in full the version passed by the House, warning that any dilution of the electronic transmission provision could undermine electoral integrity.

Dickson disclosed this while addressing journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, barely 48 hours after the Senate ratified the electronic transmission of election results to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s Result Viewing Portal, while permitting manual collation as a backup where technology fails.

The lawmaker, who is a member of the Senate Committee on Electoral Matters, said extensive work had already been done by lawmakers and stakeholders to strengthen the nation’s electoral framework before recent alterations by the Senate.

“For almost two years, as a member of the Senate Committee on Electoral Matters, we worked extensively on amendments to the electoral laws.

“We held workshops, joint sessions with the House of Representatives, meetings with INEC, the technical committee, consultants, and other stakeholders, as well as public hearings in Abuja and Lagos.

“We all agreed, crucially with INEC, on a framework that would regulate the conduct of elections in this country moving forward.

“But we could not conclude the process before tragedy struck. The deputy governor of my state collapsed suddenly and died, throwing the entire state and my family into mourning,” he said.

Dickson noted that Tuesday marked his first appearance at plenary since the burial of the deputy governor.

“Yesterday (Tuesday) was the first time I attended a Senate sitting since his burial. Despite my personal state, I attended the emergency session because of its importance,” he said.

See also  Lagos bans installation of Eze Ndigbo, Seriki, threatens arrest

The former Bayelsa State governor expressed shock that while the House of Representatives passed the harmonised document without alteration, the Senate initially removed what he described as a crucial clause agreed upon at the joint committee level.

“While I was still in Bayelsa, I was shocked to learn that the House of Representatives, which received the same document, passed it without any alteration. But the Senate delayed and later removed a very crucial clause that had been unanimously agreed upon at the joint committee level, replacing it with a weaker provision from the previous law.

“That development shocked me, though I was not surprised when civil society organisations raised an alarm, and Nigerians expressed outrage. This was why the Senate leadership convened the emergency session.

“The clause was brought back, but with a proviso stating that where electronic transmission fails, manual results would serve as the primary evidence. That proviso is what many Nigerians are rightly concerned about,” he stated.

Dickson maintained that the House version faithfully reflected the consensus reached with INEC and other stakeholders.

The senator urged the conference committee to adopt the House of Representatives’ version of the Electoral Amendment Bill in full, saying it reflects the consensus earlier reached by the joint committees, consultants, and INEC.

He noted that INEC had assured lawmakers of its capacity to transmit election results electronically and stressed that once the law made it mandatory, the commission must deploy the necessary technology nationwide.

“My message to Nigerians is clear: I call on the members of the conference committee to adopt the House version in its entirety. That version reflects what the joint committees, consultants, and INEC agreed upon.

See also  Insurgency: FG, Saudi Arabia sign five-year military pact

“INEC assured us at the committee level of its capacity to transmit results electronically. If the law makes it compulsory, then it is INEC’s duty to acquire and deploy the necessary technology across the country.

“The issue of electronic transmission has become central to electoral integrity because manipulation often occurs at collation centres, not just at polling units. Once results are transmitted immediately after polling, it becomes difficult to alter them,” he stated.

Although the Senate version uses mandatory language, Dickson warned that the proviso allowing manual results where electronic transmission fails could be abused, insisting that exceptions must not become the norm.

He, however, called on Nigerians to remain vigilant and committed to the democratic process by participating actively in elections and demanding compliance with electronic transmission rules.

“Even though the Senate version uses the word ‘shall’, the concern remains that the proviso could be abused. Exceptions should never become the norm.

“I call on Nigerians not to give up on democracy. The fight for free, fair, and credible elections is ongoing. The price for liberty is eternal vigilance.

“Citizens must continue to mobilise, sensitise, and participate fully in elections. Go to your polling stations, cast your votes, and insist that presiding officers comply with the law by transmitting results electronically.

“I also urge INEC, through its guidelines and manuals, to ensure that electronic transmission remains the general rule, and not a cover for subverting the democratic wishes of the Nigerian people,” he noted.

The former governor’s appeal comes amid heightened public scrutiny of the Electoral Amendment Bill.

See also  INEC pushes back as opposition rejects S’West voter figures

Following widespread criticism from civil society groups and political stakeholders over the Senate’s earlier decision to weaken the electronic transmission clause, the Red Chamber convened an emergency plenary on Tuesday.

At the session, Senate President Godswill Akpabio announced the expansion of the conference committee from nine to 12 members to harmonise differences between the Senate and House versions of the bill.

The committee is chaired by Simon Lalong, with members including Orji Uzor Kalu, Tahir Monguno, Adamu Aliero, Abba Moro, Asuquo Ekpenyong, Aminu Iya Abbas, Tokunbo Abiru, Niyi Adegbonmire (SAN), Jibrin Isah, Ipalibo Banigo and Onyekachi Nwebonyi.

Akpabio added that the harmonised bill would be transmitted to President Bola Tinubu for assent before the end of the month.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Insurgency: FG, Saudi Arabia sign five-year military pact

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ogun Amotekun unveils CCTV control room to fight crime
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  I have no regrets over my actions as minister – Malami

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending