Connect with us

News

Tinubu moves against terrorists after fresh military casualties

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu on Monday held a closed-door meeting with the Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Oluyede, and a French General at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Sources close to the President, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, described Monday’s engagement as part of intensified collaboration on Nigeria’s security situation.

In addition to his earlier engagement, the President also held an emergency security meeting with the service chiefs and intelligence heads.

Those in attendance at the meeting include the Chief of Defence Staff, the Chiefs of the Army, Navy, and Air Staff, the Director-General of the Department of State Services, the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, and the Inspector-General of Police.

This meeting occurred after a colonel and six soldiers were killed on Sunday by an Improvised Explosive Device planted by insurgents in Borno State, marking another deadly strike against military personnel in the North-East theatre of operations.

The meeting with the French officer, which began at around 2 pm, was the President’s first official engagement since his return from Bayelsa on Friday.

It comes three weeks after the President announced that France had agreed to supply military equipment and training to Nigerian forces battling insurgency in the North-East.

A source close to the President confirmed the closed-door meeting to The PUNCH, saying, “The President met the Chief of Defence Staff and a French General. That is the meeting that happened this afternoon.

“He has always said that he will seek collaboration and support from everywhere he can get help. And he is doing that.

“He is on top of the security issues. That is why he met with the French General and our CDS today.”

A second Presidency official who also spoke on condition of anonymity said, “It is a private meeting. He met with the CDS in the company of a French General. That is all I can confirm.”

The sources, however, did not disclose the name of the French general.

No photographs or visuals were released from the meeting, The PUNCH understands.

The meeting follows a disclosure by Tinubu on Sunday, March 22, that Nigeria had secured French collaboration on military equipment and support after a lengthy discussion with French President Emmanuel Macron.

Speaking to state governors at his Ikoyi residence in Lagos that Sunday, the President said Nigeria was prepared to leverage all its goodwill and existing lines of credit to acquire necessary equipment and training for security forces.

He said, “I can report to you, yesterday again, at a lengthy discussion with Emmanuel Macron, their collaboration with us for equipment and support.

“I’m making frantic efforts to contact other nations. If we have to spend our goodwill and line of credit, we have those who are willing to support us with equipment and training.”

Monday’s meeting comes against the backdrop of rapidly deteriorating security conditions across Nigeria, including a controversial air strike on Saturday that killed over 100 civilians, and a fresh United States advisory authorising the voluntary departure of non-emergency embassy staff from Abuja.

On Saturday, a Nigerian Air Force strike targeting Boko Haram insurgents hit the Jilli market near the Yobe-Borno border, killing over suspected insurgents and civilians.

See also  Presidential fleet operations gulp N4.24bn in six months – Read report details

The military defended the operation as a precision strike on a terrorist logistics hub, but Amnesty International condemned what it described as “reckless use of deadly force” and called for an independent investigation.

The Presidency also defended the operation. Speaking with Bloomberg earlier on Monday, Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, said, “The market was a legitimate military target because it has been turned into a logistics and trading hub by Boko Haram and ISWAP terrorists.”

Days earlier, on April 8, the United States Department of State authorised the voluntary departure of non-emergency government employees and family members from the US Embassy in Abuja, citing a deteriorating security situation.

The move elevated 23 Nigerian states to a “Level 4: Do Not Travel” warning, the highest risk category, including newly added Plateau, Jigawa, Kwara, Niger, and Taraba states.

The US highlighted threats from Islamist insurgents in the Northeast, criminal gangs in the Northwest, and ongoing violence in parts of southern and southeastern Nigeria, including oil-producing regions.

The embassy said visa appointments in Abuja had been suspended, though the Lagos consulate continues to provide routine and emergency services.

The Federal Government said the travel alert was guided by US internal protocols and did not reflect the overall security situation across Nigeria.

“While we acknowledge isolated security challenges in some areas, there is no general breakdown of law and order, and the vast majority of the country remains stable,” Information Minister Mohammed Idris stated.

Commander, soldiers killed

Disclosing the latest attack on security personnel in a statement on Monday, the Media Information Officer, Joint Taskforce Northeast Operation Hadin kai, Lt Col Sanni Uba, explained that the troops came under an isolated terrorist attack in the late hours of Sunday.

The statement read, “Troops of Sector 3, Joint Task Force (North East) Operation Hadin Kai (OPHK) came under an isolated Tango terrorist attack on Charlie 13 location in Monguno, in the late hours of 12 April 2026.

“Following intense fire exchanges, the terrorists were put to flight, with troops maintaining control of the location.

“Regrettably, the Commanding Officer, while courageously proceeding to the troops’ location to personally assess the situation, encountered an improvised explosive device which severely affected his vehicle, leading to his death alongside six other gallant personnel.”

Uba noted that “The commander’s actions, even after the immediate threat had been neutralised, reflected the highest traditions of military leadership: courage, selfless service, and leading from the front.

“His willingness to move towards the troops in the heat of the battle, despite the prevailing danger, stands as a profound testament to his valour, sense of duty, and unwavering commitment to the welfare and operational effectiveness of his men.”

Sanni noted that Operation Hadin Kai deeply mourned the loss of the exceptional officer and the other brave personnel who paid the supreme price in their service to the nation.

“Their sacrifice will forever remain etched in the memory of the Armed Forces and the grateful nation they served,” he said.

See also  Oyo protests go nationwide, NASS moves on state police in reaction to school children abduction

The attack marks the latest among a series of assaults on military positions across Borno State.

The PUNCH reported that Brigadier General O. Braimoh was killed in a terrorist ambush at the 29 Joint Taskforce Brigade in Benesheik, Kaga Local Government Area of the state, recently.

Fresh Benue attacks

At least 14 persons, including a Mobile Police officer, were killed in multiple attacks on Edikwu-Ankpali, Ikobi, Adija, and Upu communities in Apa and Otukpo Local Government Areas of Benue State by suspected armed herders.

Sources said the attacks occurred between Friday and Sunday evening when the suspected herders invaded the affected communities, killing residents.

It was gathered that the armed herders first attacked Ikobi and Adija communities in Apa LGA on Friday, killing three persons.

On Sunday evening, about 10 people were reportedly killed in Edikwu-Ankpali by the attackers.

A resident of Edikwu-Ankpali, who simply identified himself as Ameh, told journalists on Monday in a telephone interview that several persons were still missing.

Ameh said, “The incident happened yesterday evening (Sunday) when Fulani herdsmen attacked our community, Edikwu-Ankpali, and shot at people indiscriminately.

“Everyone scampered for safety until this morning (Monday) when some youths recovered 10 corpses. As I am talking to you now, search efforts are still ongoing.”

He added that the attack had thrown the community into fear and uncertainty, with many residents fleeing for safety over concerns of further violence.

In a separate incident, a Mobile Police officer was killed on Saturday at Upu community in Otukpo LGA while responding to a distress situation involving suspected armed herders.

The Chairman of Apa LGA, Adam Ochega, confirmed the attacks in a WhatsApp message to journalists on Monday, saying nine persons were killed in Edikwu-Ankpali, while one person each was killed in Ikobi and Adija.

Ochega wrote, “Nine people were killed, many were injured at Edikwu-Ankpali, while one was killed at Ikobi and another was killed at Adija.”

Also confirming the incident, the Chairman of Otukpo LGA, Maxwell Ogiri, said the Mobile Police officer was killed while repelling the attackers.

Ogiri said in a telephone interview: “It’s true that a Mobile Police officer was killed at Upu on Saturday when some armed herders invaded the community.

“It was in the process of repelling the invaders that he was shot during a gun duel. He was one of the security men drafted to the area to beef up security.”

He added that additional police personnel had been deployed to the affected area.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Udeme Edet, could not be reached for comment.

The attacks highlight continued insecurity in parts of Benue State despite assurances by the Commissioner of Police, Ifeanyi Emenari.

The Assistant Inspector-General of Police, Zone 4, Morris Dankombo, last week ordered a coordinated crackdown on banditry and other violent crimes across Benue, Nasarawa, and Plateau states.

The directive, issued through the Zonal Police Public Relations Officer, Ayo Martins, followed an order from the Inspector-General of Police, Olatunji Disu.

See also  UPDATED: NCAA stops Fuji star K1 de Ultimate from flying for six months

Survivors recount ordeal

Survivors of the Jilli market airstrike have recounted their experiences, saying the Nigerian Air Force jet dropped several bombs on them during the operation.

The survivors, currently admitted at the state Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri, were among the over 40 persons killed on Saturday at the market located in Gubio Local Government Area of Borno State.

The strikes executed on April 11, 2026, were conducted by the Air Component of Operation HADIN KAI in coordination with the Nigerian Army, following an earlier operation that targeted and destroyed terrorist positions in the area.

However, in an interview with The PUNCH, some of the victims described the attack as shocking, stressing that they were unaware of claims that the market is a hub for terrorist activities.

Bulama Balo, while recounting his ordeal, narrated that three jets conducted the strike.

“One jet came and dropped bombs three times. It will drop one, then go around and return to drop another. The first time, it came, dropped fire, the second time, it was the same, and dropped, then the third time, it did the same.’’

He added, “Even the market was burnt down. We recorded over 100 deaths.”

Another victim, Ali Hassan, stated, “That’s our market. We had initially stopped accessing it and moved to places like Gamboru and Damasak, but we were not safe.

“We have no option. But we pray for the deceased victims and those who were wounded; may Allah raise their spirits. This incident is very devastating.’’

According to him, the market serves as the major economic hub in the community.

“This is the only way we survive, and now we are challenged by this predicament,” he lamented.

Abu Goni said he was caught unaware, noting that the strike began in the evening shortly after the Maghrib prayers.

“I went to the market with my horse. All of a sudden, a jet appeared, and I didn’t even know what was going on; no one there paid attention to the jet. We were in the market after Maghrib prayers around 6 pm when the strike began. After the strike, some died, some survived, but I thank God, I am alive.’’

When asked about the claim that the location is used by insurgents to coordinate operations, Goni said he was not aware.

“To be honest, I am not aware of that, but around six years ago, soldiers once settled there, but now, it’s just a normal market where we sell domestic animals.

‘’There are no houses or buildings, it’s just an open market; only goats and sheep are sold in the market. We don’t even sell cows. People bring their animals, sell and return to their homes,” he clarified.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, said the Jilli market was closed five years ago.

He described the market as a notorious hub used by insurgents and their logistics suppliers.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  FG backs DHQ as coup rumour sparks political firestorm

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Taraba, Plateau, Adamawa govs face defection dilemma as Tinubu's Hurricane strikes
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Opposition rift widens over sole presidential ticket

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending