Connect with us

Lifestyle

Portable, Efe trade words ahead Chaos in the Ring

Published

on

Social media stars Habeeb ‘Portable’ Badmus and Carter Efe traded fresh threats ahead of their celebrity boxing bout at Chaos in the Ring 4, as the main event fighters Ezra Arenyeka and Godday Appah also exchanged sharp words at a face-off ahead of the May 1 card at the Balmoral Hall, Federal Palace Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos.

Portable, who previously beat both Charles Okocha and Speed Darlington in celebrity exhibition bouts to win two belts, made clear he intended to add a third at Efe’s expense.

“I will use you to collect my third belt. Charles Okocha was bigger than you, Speed Darlington was bigger than you and I beat them. I will beat you now,” he told Efe directly.

Efe was unmoved, dismissing Portable’s record and warning that the bout would be brief.

“You can’t beat me. You that is scared of me — when we meet in the ring, I will beat you. One punch and you fall,” he fired back.

In the main event, Arenyeka and Appah, whose bout is billed as a symbolic WBO Peace Fight between the Itsekiri and Ijaw communities of the Niger Delta, set aside any goodwill between them at the face-off.

Appah was unsparing in his assessment of what awaited his opponent.

“We were friends but there is no friendship in the ring. Right now, I am fighting for my belt, for my people and for the win. He knows who the king is. I am here for the knockout — this is war. You will not survive six rounds with me,” he said.

See also  Singer Niniola loses husband

Arenyeka replied without hesitation saying, “I am going to break your head. You said six rounds — I will beat you in five. You will sleep in the ring.”

Elsewhere on the card, Ghana’s Elvis Ahorgah and Newcastle’s Joe Laws added their own flavour to proceedings, with Ahorgah delivering his threats in rhyme in the manner of Muhammad Ali, while Laws painted his face in the colours of the Nigerian flag in a bid to win over the home crowd against a fighter from a rival nation.

British southpaw Michael McKinson, whose father is of Nigerian descent, also features on the card against Algerian prospect Mohammad Sahnoun and said he was looking forward to making a statement while soaking in the Nigerian culture.

Balmoral Group Promotions CEO Ezekiel Adamu said the face-offs reflected the broader ambition behind the event.

“It’s entertainment, but I want these young guys to trust me that the world is watching. When you have a platform like this, it changes lives. This is what it is all about for us: giving these guys the opportunity and visibility and showing the best of African boxing. It’s wartime and let’s show the world what we have to offer here in Africa,” he said.

The nine-bout card, promoted by Balmoral Group Promotions in association with former world heavyweight champion Amir Khan’s AK Promotions and sanctioned by the Nigeria Boxing Board of Control, will be broadcast live worldwide on DAZN.

It also features teenage sensation Raheem Animashaun against Tanzanian veteran Emmanuel Amos, national middleweight champion Rasheed Adeyemo against Tanzanian Nicolaus Mdoe, Basit Adebayo against Loren Japhet, UK-based Ghanaian Samuel Antwi against Congolese veteran Paul Kamanga, and a welterweight clash between Seun Wahab and Saidi Mkola.

See also  Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s 1992 Senate Campaign Poster: A Historic Entry into Nigerian Politics

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Lifestyle

Singer Niniola loses husband

Published

on

Nigerian afro-house singer, Niniola Apata, has announced the death of her husband.

The Grammy-nominated artist made the disclosure in a series of emotional posts on her Instagram story in the early hours of Wednesday.

Her husband, Michael Ndika, was the Chief Executive Officer of NaijaReview, a multimedia platform focused on afro-house and contemporary African music. before his death

“God took him,” she wrote in the first post.

“My husband died,” she added in a second.

In a third, she wrote: “God took him. 13 years. 13 f***ing years.”

Photo: Officialniniola

Each post came with a photo of she and her husband.

The circumstances of the death of her husband were not immediately disclosed as she has always kept her private life away from the public and social media.

Apata, 39, rose to prominence after finishing as a top contestant on Project Fame West Africa in 2013 and has since become one of Nigeria’s most celebrated music exports.

Her 2017 single, Maradona, earned international acclaim, drawing collaborations and recognition from artists including DJ Snake, Drake, Timbaland, and Beyoncé.

Photo: Officialniniola

 

Photo: Officialniniola
Photo: Officialniniola

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Some Pastors Wanted To Sleep With Me – Actress, Sarah Martins Reveals Why She Stopped Going To Church
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

New SlumPact initiative to empower women, youth in underserved areas

Published

on

A newly established non-governmental organisation, the SlumPact Initiative, has officially launched its operations in Nigeria, pledging a commitment to transforming informal settlements and driving inclusive development across the country.

The group, according to a statement on Sunday, enters Nigeria’s development space at a critical time when millions of citizens residing in slum environments continue to battle severe socio-economic challenges, including substandard housing, deplorable healthcare access, high unemployment rates, and systemic social exclusion.

Speaking at the official launch of the non-profit organisation, the Founder of the SlumPact Initiative, Prof. Davies Adeloye, stated that the group’s primary mandate is to bridge the widening gap between overlooked populations and sustainable economic opportunities.

Adeloye said, “Our initiative is not just about addressing poverty but also about unlocking potential, amplifying voices, and fostering dignity within communities that are often overlooked

Communities defined by deprivation also possess immense potential, and we are set to deliver sustainable, community-driven interventions that improve the overall quality of life.”

Reaffirming the organisation’s strategic focus on the most vulnerable demographics within these informal sectors, the management noted that its core framework relies heavily on multi-sectoral collaboration to achieve lasting impact.

The statement read, “The organisation will focus on empowering vulnerable populations, especially women, youth, and children, through targeted programmes that address both immediate needs and long-term development goals. SlumPact Initiative’s strategy is anchored on collaboration, working closely with local communities, government institutions, development partners, and private sector stakeholders to ensure that its interventions are impactful and sustainable.”

Addressing the gathering of development experts, stakeholders at the event noted that the intervention aligns seamlessly with national priorities and international developmental frameworks.

See also  Singer Niniola loses husband

“The launch is highly timely given the increasing need for structured and scalable interventions in Nigeria’s rapidly growing informal settlements. The organisation’s focus directly aligns with national development priorities and global frameworks such as the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly those related to poverty reduction, sustainable cities, and reduced inequalities,” the stakeholders added.

The SlumPact Initiative concluded its launch by announcing that its operational roadmap will span critical development areas, including youth empowerment, skills acquisition, public health awareness campaigns, and active advocacy for inclusive urban policies.

In line with its values, management is committed to transparency, financial accountability, and measurable impact across all project locations.

As operations begin in designated informal settlements, the NGO is calling on corporate bodies, government agencies, international donor entities, and public-spirited individuals to partner with the movement to build resilient communities and create clear pathways out of poverty for vulnerable Nigerians.

Continue Reading

Lifestyle

2026 Ojude Oba festival to honour late Awujale’s legacy — Coordinator reveals

Published

on

The Coordinator of Ojude Oba festival in Ijebu Ode, Prof Fassy Yusuf, on Tuesday said that this year’s celebration will be devoted to celebrating the indelible legacy of selflessness and the exemplary leadership of the late Awujale of Ijebu land, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adetona, who died last year July at the age of 91 after reigning for 65-years.

Yusuf also debunked a narrative circulating on social media that the Ojude Oba festival would not be celebrated because of the transition of Oba Adetona, saying that the highly revered royal father had warned that nothing should hinder the annual celebration, even after his death.

This is just as the First Lady and the wife of the President, Sen Oluremi Tinubu, alongside Gov Dapo Abiodun and his wife, Mrs Bamidele Abiodun, as well as the Minister of Arts, Culture, Tourism and the Creative Economy, Barrister Hannatu Musa Musawa, are expected to be the special guests of honour at this year’s festival, which is celebrated two days after the Muslim Eid-el-Kabir festival.

The Professor of Mass Communication disclosed this during a world press conference held at the Awujale palace on Tuesday.

He explained that the theme of this year’s festival, “Ojude Oba 2026: Celebrating The Legacy of Oba Sikiru Adetona”, was inspired by the remarkable life, enduring legacy, and monumental contributions of the late traditional ruler, whose reign was marked by uncommon courage, visionary leadership, unwavering devotion to the Ijebu people, and transformational strides in governance.

He stated that “Throughout his illustrious reign, Oba Adetona broke barriers, demystified age-long jinxes, redefined the institution of monarchy, and repositioned the Ijebu Nation on the global cultural and socio-political landscape.

See also  ‘Someone Like You Cannot Correct Christians’ – Singer Testimony ‘Jaga’ Knocks Ex-VP Osinbajo

“His leadership brought renewed prestige, unity, development, and pride to the traditional institution, while his wisdom and progressive disposition changed the narrative of kingship in Nigeria and beyond.

“The 2026 edition of Ojúdé Ọba Festival, therefore, serves not only as a celebration of culture and heritage, but also as a solemn tribute to the longest- reigning monarch in the history of Ijebuland — a revered royal icon whose legacies remain indelible and whose impact will continue to resonate across generations.”

He added that in recent times, certain voices and interests, through both traditional and social media platforms, had sought to create uncertainty around the continuity of the Ojude Oba Festival following the transition of the highly revered monarch, Oba Adetona.

Yusuf stated that various campaigns and insinuations, particularly the “No Awujale, No Ojude Oba” narrative, sought to cast doubt on the future of this globally acclaimed cultural institution.

He disclosed that the history, tradition and the collective will of the Ijebu people have prevailed because the festival transcends personalities as it is a timeless cultural heritage deeply rooted in the identity, pride and unity of the Ijebu nation.

The Ijebu Ode High Chief revealed that suspending the festival because of the royal transition would not only have undermined decades of cultural preservation and economic advancement, but would also have inflicted immeasurable loss on the people and their traditions, the tourism potential, the economy and the global cultural standing.

He added that “Indeed, our highly respected late Kabiyesi himself made it abundantly clear that Ojude Oba must never be suspended on account of his passage or during any interregnum.

“According to his noble conviction, the festival remains a sacred cultural institution that must continue to flourish up to eternity.

See also  Lieutenant General Onyeabor Azubuike Ihejirika: Nigeria’s First Igbo Chief of Army Staff and Counter-Terrorism Reformer

“It is, therefore, with great pride, confidence and a deep sense of responsibility that we announce to the world today that the 2026 Ojude Oba Festival shall hold with all its grandeur and splendour by the grace of Almighty God.

“The festival remains alive, vibrant and firmly established as a unifying symbol of our ur heritage, our religious tolerance, our pride and our collective destiny as a people.

“The grand finale of the 2026 edition of the Ojude Oba Festival is expected to hold on Friday, May 29, 2026, being two days after the celebration of Eid-el- Adha (Ileya Festival).”

This year’s edition of the festival is expected to witness the spectacular participation of about 90 male and female Age Grades (Regberegbe), all elegantly adorned in resplendent and richly coordinated traditional attires that reflect the depth, creativity, pride, and cultural sophistication of the Ijebu people.

Equally, 25 distinguished families of warlords and warrior lineages—renowned for their historic roles in defending the Ijebu kingdom before the colonial annexation of Ijebu, are expected to participate in the celebrated equestrian display and horse riding to the festival pavilion, where they pay homage to the Awujale.

Historical accounts reveal that with the advent of Islam in Ijebuland, the reigning monarch granted adherents of the new faith the freedom to practise their religion peacefully and without discrimination.

This atmosphere of tolerance and mutual respect fostered religious harmony within the kingdom.

Consequently, after the celebration of Eid-el-Adha (Ileya), members of the Muslim community would, on the third day, gather to pay homage to the monarch in appreciation of his goodwill, accommodation, and support for peaceful coexistence.

See also  Singer Niniola loses husband

Over the years, this gesture of appreciation and gratitude gradually transformed into what is now known as the Ojude Oba Festival.

Today, the festival attracts millions of participants and visitors from across Nigeria and the diaspora, showcasing the rich cultural heritage of the Ijebu people.

More importantly, it remains a shining example of religious tolerance, peaceful coexistence, and communal harmony — a priceless cultural gift of the Ijebu nation to Nigeria and the world.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending