Connect with us

Politics

Incumbent senator loses Osun APC senatorial ticket

Published

on

The current lawmaker representing Osun East in the Senate, Francis Fadahunsi, has won the ticket of the All Progressives Congress in the 2027 general elections.

This came as the Senator representing Osun Central, Olubiyi Fadeyi,  lost the re-election ticket to Adekunle Adegoke (SAN).

Fadahunsi, presently serving as the Senate Committee on Industry,  was first elected into the Senate in 2019 on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party.

In 2023, he was re-elected on the platform of the same party.

He, however, in 2025, alongside four other PDP lawmakers, defected to the All Progressives Congress.

In a video clip obtained on Tuesday, the chairman of Osun APC primary election committee, Mr Bayo Ayo, who read the result, said, “Fadahunsi scored 23,593 votes to defeat his opponents, Mr Famurewa Isreal and Mr Thomas Ogungbangbe, who got 472 and 806 votes respectively. ”

In other results, the Senator representing Osun Central, Olubiyi Fadeyi,  lost the re-election ticket to Adekunle Adegoke (SAN).

“Adegoke polled 26,655 votes to emerge victorious, while Fadeyi received 13,138 votes,” Ayo said.

Other aspirants for the ticket, Yomi Ogunwale scored 2,925,  Akintunde Adegboye, 342 votes while  Olu Fakeye got 067 votes.

In Osun West Senatorial, insurance guru, Dr Akin Ogunbiyi, picked the APC ticket with a total of 30,568 votes.

His closest challenger, Gafar Akintayo, scored 1,215 votes, and  Peter Ogundeji, who had earlier announced his withdrawal from the race, got 14 votes.

The PUNCH reports that the leadership of the All Progressives Congress in Osun State had lauded the peaceful House of Representatives primary of the party held across the state and congratulated the candidates, other aspirants and the members on the successful exercises.

See also  Ekiti guber: Nothing to show after 3 years – Isaac Fayose warns against Oyebanji’s re-election (VIDEO)

In a statement signed by the Osun APC spokesperson, Kola Olabisi, the party appealed for calm and urged both the candidates and the aspirants to rein in their supporters and desist from publishing offensive statements or passing comments capable of causing crisis in the party.

The APC subsequently urged aggrieved aspirants to leverage the constitutional mechanism to address their grievances.

It commended the displayed spirit of sportsmanship of the aspirants, saying the contests have produced candidates who must be supported in the overall interest of the party.

“With the successful completion of the primary elections into the Houses of Representatives and Assembly of the All Progressives Congress in Osun State yesterday, the state chapter of the All Progressives Congress APC has congratulated the candidates, other aspirants, the members of the party and their numerous supporters.

“It is expedient to inform us all that there’s no winner and no vanquished in this sportsmanlike NASS primary elections as our party and the entire people of the state were the overall winners of the elections,” the statement read partly.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Coalition of 1,500 groups endorses Tinubu for second term ahead of 2027

Published

on

A coalition of political support groups under the Tinubu Mega Group on Tuesday endorsed President Bola  Tinubu for a second term in office, declaring that Nigerians were “choosing continuity over confusion and progress over propaganda” ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

The coalition made the declaration during a “National Unity Rally” held in Abuja, which drew supporters from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

Organisers said the rally brought together over 1,500 organisations, including professional bodies, civil society organisations, youth and women groups, artisans, traders, religious leaders and grassroots mobilisers.

Addressing the gathering, the National Spokesperson of the Tinubu Mega Group, Tijani Danjuma, said the mobilisation reflected growing nationwide support for the President and his reform agenda.

“To those spreading false narratives and attempting to create division, our answer is simple — the people have spoken. Nigerians are choosing continuity over confusion and progress over propaganda,” Danjuma declared.

He said the coalition was presenting what it described as the endorsement of “20 million Nigerians” for another four years of the Tinubu administration, insisting that ongoing economic reforms needed time and consistency to produce results.

According to him, despite prevailing economic hardship and global economic pressures, the administration had demonstrated courage in confronting long-standing structural challenges facing the country.

Danjuma highlighted ongoing infrastructure projects, local refining initiatives, social intervention programmes and economic reforms aimed at stabilising the economy and attracting investment.

“The student loan programme has opened new opportunities for young Nigerians. Efforts are ongoing to strengthen the naira, improve food production, and reposition the economy for long-term growth,” he said.

See also  2026: I’m cruising to victory, Adeleke boasts

The rally comes amid growing political realignments and early mobilisation by support groups ahead of the 2027 general elections, with political actors already positioning themselves despite the elections being more than a year away.

Tinubu, who was elected in 2023 under the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress, has repeatedly defended his administration’s economic reforms, describing them as necessary measures to rescue the economy from fiscal instability and mounting debt obligations.

Since assuming office, the administration has implemented major policy changes, including the removal of petrol subsidy on his inauguration day and the unification of the foreign exchange market. The policies triggered significant increases in fuel prices, transportation costs and inflation, leading to widespread economic hardship across the country.

Continue Reading

Politics

Elliot reveals why he signed Obasa’s impeachment notice; read details

Published

on

Lagos State House of Assembly member, Desmond Elliot, has given details of his involvement in the impeachment process against Speaker Mudashiru Obasa in January 2025, explaining why he signed the impeachment document.

Elliot, who represents Surulere Constituency I, made the clarification during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Tuesday.

The actor-turned-politician was reacting to remarks by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, that he nearly lost his job over intelligence linking Elliot to the impeachment attempt.

Elliot said he was out of the country at the time of the incident and had the impression that the impeachment move had presidential backing.

“I would like to state categorically that I wasn’t in the country. My wife and I travelled during the period of January 13th of 2025.

“We were in recess and then it was an opportunity for us to travel to attend my wife’s younger sister’s wedding,” he said.

He added that the impeachment occurred while he was in South Africa and came as a shock to him.

“That was the time Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa was impeached (by Lagos State House of Assembly).

“It came to me as a shock because I was in South Africa then. So, obviously, it took me about two days to come back. I was also as confused as everybody was.

“And then I saw that almost everybody had signed. And pretty much we thought it was from the presidency. In all fairness, we thought it was from the presidency.

See also  2026: I’m cruising to victory, Adeleke boasts

“And, of course, I appended my own signature. I believe I was maybe 30-something person at that point in time because others who had travelled had returned and others who signed,” he said.

Elliot said the lawmakers later received clarification from President Bola Tinubu that the impeachment was not authorised.

“But eventually, Mr President called us and made us understand that it was not from him and asked us to return the speaker.

“And we did,” he added.

Reacting to Gbajabiamila’s claim, Elliot said the allegation came as a shock, given their longstanding relationship.

“So, my leader (Gbajabiamila) coming to say this, that I almost lost his job, one I have served and has also been there for me for this long, to have said that came to me as a shock,” he said.

Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila. Credit: State House
Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila. Credit: State House

The Obasa impeachment saga erupted on January 13, 2025, when a majority of the Lagos State House of Assembly impeached the long-serving Speaker while he was vacationing in the United States.

Lawmakers accused him of gross misconduct, abuse of office, high-handedness, poor leadership, persistent lateness to sessions, and alleged financial mismanagement of Assembly funds.

His deputy, Mojisola Meranda, was immediately elected as the new Speaker, becoming the first female to occupy the position.

Obasa rejected the impeachment as illegal and unconstitutional, insisting due process was not followed.

The crisis triggered weeks of tension, court cases, parallel claims to leadership, and interventions by APC national leaders and Tinubu.

It was eventually resolved when Meranda resigned, paving the way for Obasa’s reinstatement as Speaker.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Senator protests result of Kogi APC senatorial primaries

Published

on

Controversy and protests trailed Monday’s All Progressives Congress senatorial primaries in Kogi State, even as former Governor Yahaya Bello and other aspirants won in their respective districts.

Tension flared in Kogi East Senatorial District where incumbent Senator Jibrin Isah, popularly known as Echocho, rejected the conduct of the primary election.

In a viral video, the visibly agitated senator alleged that election materials and officials were absent in several wards, including his own, insisting that no proper election took place.

Echocho accused party officials of bias, claiming that results were “prepared at the Government House before the commencement of the exercise.”

“That result is a nullity, and cannot even be announced,” he said.

The senator also threatened to challenge Governor Ahmed Ododo in the 2027 governorship election if the outcome of the senatorial primary did not favour him.

“I am going to contest against you. I have the right. The battle line has been drawn,” Echocho declared.

He maintained that his constituency projects and empowerment programmes were designed to strengthen the APC ahead of future elections for President Bola Tinubu and Ododo, while accusing the governor of turning against him despite his loyalty to both Ododo and former governor Yahaya Bello.

In Kogi West Senatorial District, another aspirant, Ustaz Abubakar Ola, also raised concerns before voting commenced.

He alleged plans to intimidate his supporters and claimed that voting was disrupted by thugs in centres where he enjoyed strong support.

Despite the disputes, turnout was described as massive across the state’s three senatorial districts.

See also  Full Speech Of Gov Mbah As He Dumps PDP For APC

In Agassa, the hometown of former governor and Kogi Central aspirant, Bello, supporters turned out in large numbers to participate in the exercise.

Bello commended delegates for what he described as a peaceful process and praised party officials for adhering to electoral guidelines, saying the exercise reflected the APC’s capacity to conduct transparent elections.

Also contesting the Kogi Central ticket are APC Diaspora Secretary and businessman, Momoh Obaro, and Ibrahim Yakubu Adoke.

Meanwhile, Ododo participated in the primary at his Upogoro/Odenku Ward polling unit in Okene Local Government Area.

The exercise was conducted under tight security with a large turnout of party members.

Speaking with journalists after voting, Ododo described the process as “peaceful, transparent, and orderly,” noting that it reflected the democratic ideals being strengthened within the ruling party.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending