Connect with us

News

Borno gov vows safe return of 48 abducted school children

Published

on

The Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, has assured residents of Mussa community in Askira Uba Local Government Area, where terrorists abducted 48 school children, that all efforts were being intensified to secure the safe release of the victims.

The governor gave the assurance on Tuesday during a visit to Uba town to sympathise with parents of schoolchildren.

Addressing the gathering, the governor conveyed his heartfelt sympathy to the Emir, the parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of the Uba Emirate over the unfortunate incident.

“I want to convey my deepest sympathy to the Emir of Uba, parents of the abducted children, and the entire people of Uba Emirate over the recent unfortunate incident,” Zulum said.

“Let me assure you that the Federal Government under the distinguished leadership of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Nigerian Armed Forces, and the Borno State Government will do everything possible to secure the release of the children,” he assured.

The governor commended the military and other security agencies for taking proactive measures to prevent further deterioration of the security situation in the area.

He disclosed that the Brigade Commander, Commanding Officer, Divisional Police Officer, and other heads of security establishments had already been deployed to strengthen security and facilitate the safe return of the abducted children.

Governor Zulum also pledged to fortify security in Askira, Uba, and adjoining communities to prevent a recurrence of similar incidents.

“We have made frantic efforts to stabilise Askira, Uba, and adjoining communities through reinforcing security in these areas,” he said.

See also  FULL TEXT - Tinubu’s 65th Independence Day address to Nigerians

The governor appealed to the abductors to release the innocent children, noting that they were minors who required the care and protection of their parents.

He further called on residents of the Uba Emirate and the entire people of Borno State to intensify prayers, especially during the first 10 days of the holy month of Dhul Hijjah.

Speaking during the visit, the Emir of Uba, Alhaji Ali Ibn Isma’ila Mamza II revealed that the incident occurred on Friday, 15 May, when 48 persons were abducted in Mussa community, including 37 primary school pupils, six secondary school students, and five other residents.

The monarch commended Governor Zulum for his unwavering commitment to addressing insecurity, uniting the people of the state, and supporting the emirate.

Also speaking, a representative of the Mussa community, Dr. Chinapi Amanja, appreciated the governor’s visit and acknowledged the deployment of senior military officers and other security personnel to the area.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Some people warned Tinubu against wearing clothes I gave him — Shettima made shocking revelation

Published

on

Vice President Kashim Shettima on Tuesday revealed that barely three months after President Bola Tinubu was sworn into office, some people from Borno State visited the President and warned him to stop wearing traditional attire given to him by Shettima during the 2023 campaign, alleging the garments had been used to charm him and would lead to his death.

He said Tinubu not only rejected the claim but responded by deliberately wearing the clothing for an entire week as a public rebuke to what he called a story that “did not add up.”

Shettima spoke while delivering his address at the public presentation of former Head of State Yakubu Gowon’s autobiography, My Life of Duty and Allegiance, in Abuja on Tuesday, where he represented Tinubu.

Shettima used the incident to illustrate what he described as the dangerous spread of suspicion in Nigerian public life.

He also compared the rising spate of suspicion with the Sultan of Sokoto’s account of how Gowon would receive gallons of fura sent weekly from the Sultan’s family in Sokoto to Dodan Barracks in Lagos.

He noted that Gowon accepted the gesture without any suspicion, in a spirit of trust that he said has since been eroded.

The VP said, “His Eminence, the Sultan of Sokoto, had been narrating the story of the family of the Sultan sending gallons of fura every week to General Yakubu Gowon in Dodan Barracks, because of the trust and confidence General Gowon was willingly receiving it without any suspicion.

See also  FRSC rewards officer for rejecting 104 bribes in one month

“But now the game is different. Suspicion smears our relationships, and it ought not to be. We are essentially one people tied to a common destiny.”

Narrating his personal story involving Tinubu, Shettima recalled that in the lead-up to the 2023 presidential primaries, as the President canvassed support across the North, he sourced traditional Borno attire and a cap for Tinubu to wear at campaign events so the candidate could blend with the northern crowd.

He said positive feedback from Tinubu’s aides proved that the clothing fitted well, and Tinubu wore it repeatedly during the campaign.

However, the confrontation came just months after victory.

Shettima said he had travelled to Beijing in October 2023 to represent Tinubu at the 3rd Belt and Road Initiative Forum, held from October 16 to 18, one of his early high-profile foreign assignments as Vice President.

When he returned from China, Tinubu summoned him and delivered a message from a group of people about the clothes.

He narrated, “When I came back from China, where I had represented him at the Belt and Road Initiative Conference, he said: ‘Sit down. Your people came to me and said I should stop wearing those dresses you gave me. They said I must have been charmed, and that I am going to die and he will become the president.’”

Shettima noted that Tinubu dismissed the accusation because it did not add up.

According to Shettima, he responded,
“Their story did not add up, because when you gave me those dresses, I was an aspirant. I wasn’t even the candidate. Neither were you the vice-presidential candidate.”

See also  Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria and Islamic Council squabble over security crisis

However, he said the President proceeded to wear the dresses for a week.

“For one week, to prove to them that he is not fetish, he wore those dresses.

“These are some of the gimmicks that are taking place in power circles in Nigeria nowadays.”

In his address, Shettima poured encomiums on Gowon, saying his life embodied the opposite of sectarian suspicion.

Shettima cited Gowon’s establishment of the NYSC as a reconciliation instrument, his ECOWAS legacy, and the urgent need for Nigerians to confront divisive forces that seek to undermine unity.

He referenced Plateau State, whose governor, Caleb Mutfwang, was present, urging an end to cycles of violence in language that cited linguistic, genealogical, and historical ties across the divisions currently producing bloodshed on the Plateau.

On Gowon, whom he called the “the last man standing” among Nigeria’s post-independence military generation, Shettima said the autobiography is “a bottom of memory at a time when our country needs a discipline of remembrance.”

He said, “There are people who are remembered before they leave office.

“There are others whose memory endures because office became, in their hands, an instrument of national meaning. General Gowon belongs to the second company.”

He also quoted Martin Luther King Jr. in closing, calling on Nigerians to either unite or face collective ruin.

“Let us learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools,” he stated.

The event was attended by former President Goodluck Jonathan, who chaired the occasion, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume; Senate President Godswill Akpabio, represented by Senator Ireti Kingibe; the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III; the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Monica Dongban-Mensem; and a galaxy of retired generals, including the son of late military Head of State, General Sani Abacha.

See also  Full List: Police Release Contacts Of Officers In 36 States, Including FCT

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister Sadiya Farouq

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory High Court sitting in Apo, Abuja, on Monday sustained the arrest warrant earlier issued against former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Farouq Umar, over alleged fraud involving $1.3m and N746.7m.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie held that the bench warrant issued against the former minister on April 16, 2026, would remain in force.

Farouq is being prosecuted alongside Bashir Nura Alkali and Sani Nafiu Mohammed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on charges bordering on alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

At the resumed proceedings, counsel for the EFCC, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), informed the court that the matter was slated for arraignment, but noted that the first defendant, Farouq, was absent without explanation.

Jacobs said, “My lord, we were here on April 16, 2026, when your lordship granted us a bench warrant to arrest the first defendant. It was because of that the second defendant immediately approached the commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.”

He urged the court to vacate the warrant against the second defendant while sustaining the order against the former minister.

The prosecutor further recalled that Farouq’s counsel, Oladipo Okpesheyi (SAN), had earlier pleaded with the court to grant him one month to produce his client.

According to Jacobs, despite the court’s reluctance to grant a lengthy adjournment under the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, the judge accommodated the defence’s plea.

“My expectation this morning will be for my colleague to say that the client he promised to produce is in court today, but alas, he did not do so,” Jacobs said.

See also  FRSC rewards officer for rejecting 104 bribes in one month

He added, “I will urge your lordship to ensure that the undertaking is enforced by counsel to produce his client instead of asking the court to discharge the order. My lordship should not listen to them until the undertaking is enforced.”

When asked by the court to explain Farouq’s absence, Okpesheyi told the judge that the former minister was currently in Egypt receiving medical treatment.

“My lord, she is in Egypt. I learnt that her doctor said she is not medically fit to appear today,” he said.

“There is a medical report I received on my phone last night that she is in the hospital on the doctor’s advice in Egypt. She will need about two months to recover before she can come. We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.”

Justice Onwuegbuzie, however, frowned on what he described as repeated attempts to frustrate and delay the trial.

“At the last adjournment, M.S. Ibrahim promised the court to produce the first defendant. It will be impossible to grant another adjournment.

“I will not tolerate unnecessary adjournment in my court. I will give you a short adjournment, and you will go and bring her, even if she is in a wheelchair. And if she is not here, the court will do what it needs to do,” the judge said.

The judge subsequently ruled that the arrest warrant against Farouq remained active and adjourned the matter till June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

The PUNCH reports that the EFCC, in the past week, declared the former minister wanted for alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

See also  IPOB backs designation of Nigeria as Country of Particular Concern, demands probe of South-East killings

In the notice signed by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the anti-graft agency with knowledge of the ex-minister’s whereabouts is to contact the commission.

The EFCC directed anyone with useful information to contact its offices in Ibadan, Uyo, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Benin, Makurdi, Kaduna, Ilorin, Enugu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Port Harcourt, or Abuja, or call 08093322644, or email info@efcc.gov.ng, or contact the nearest police station.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Jonathan, AGF oppose 2027 eligibility suit

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Jonathan and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice have asked the Federal High Court in Abuja to dismiss a suit seeking to stop Jonathan from contesting the 2027 presidential election.

Justice Peter Lifu fixed May 26 for a composite judgment, including a ruling on an application by the plaintiff, Abuja-based lawyer, Johnmary Jideobi, asking the judge to recuse himself from the matter.

In the originating summons, Jideobi asked the court to determine “whether in view of the combined provisions of sections 1(1), (2) and (3) and 137(3) of the 1999 Constitution, the 1st defendant is eligible, under any circumstances whatsoever, to contest for the office of the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

The plaintiff argued that Jonathan had exhausted the constitutional limit for the office, having completed the tenure of late President Umaru Yar’Adua before serving another full term after the 2011 election.

In an affidavit filed in support of the suit, Emmanuel Agida, who deposed on behalf of Jideobi, stated that Jonathan was first sworn in as president on May 6, 2010, following Yar’Adua’s death, and again on May 29, 2011, after winning the presidential election.

Jideobi also filed an application on Monday asking Justice Lifu to withdraw from the case over alleged bias, claiming the court shortened the 14 days initially granted to respond to Jonathan’s counter-affidavit and preliminary objection.

Counsel for Jonathan, Chris Uche (SAN), while arguing the former president’s counter-affidavit and preliminary objection, urged the court to dismiss the suit and award N50m costs against the plaintiff.

See also  Gombe kicks off training for 1,103 beneficiaries under NDE’s initiative

Uche cited previous judgments, including those in suits filed by Andy Solomon and Cyracus Njoku against Jonathan, which he said were dismissed.

He further argued that the amendment to Section 137(3) of the Constitution, which bars persons who had taken the oath of office more than twice from seeking the same office, could not be applied retroactively against Jonathan, who contested the 2015 election.

According to him, Jideobi was attempting to use litigation as a political tool to exclude Jonathan, despite constitutional provisions allowing qualified citizens to seek elective office.

“He has no locus standi to bring this action and no cause of action has crystallised,” he said.

Uche added that for the plaintiff to establish locus standi, he must show how the matter directly affected him and also prove that he was a registered voter interested in who governed the country.

Similarly, the Director of Civil Litigation and Public Law at the Federal Ministry of Justice, Dr Maimuna Lamin Shiru, who stood in for the AGF, asked the court to dismiss the suit in its entirety.

However, counsel to the plaintiff, Ndubuisi Ukpai, argued that being a registered voter was not a condition for instituting the suit and urged the court to dismiss the objections and counter-affidavit filed by Jonathan and the Ministry of Justice.

Continue Reading

Trending