Connect with us

News

Amupitan resumes as INEC chair next week ahead of Anambra poll

Published

on

The new Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Joash Amupitan, is expected to officially assume office next week, ahead of the November 8 Anambra State governorship election.

Multiple officials at INEC informed The PUNCH that Amupitan would formally take over the reins of the commission after his swearing-in by President Bola Tinubu, a ceremony traditionally conducted at the Federal Executive Council meeting, expected to be held next week.

“Prof. Amupitan will assume office on the day he is sworn in by the President.

“The tradition is that he gets sworn in before a Federal Executive Council meeting, and he would be escorted by INEC National Commissioners to resume office immediately,” a senior official involved in the transition process said.

An INEC Director confirmed that while the exact date remains uncertain, the swearing-in is imminent.

“He will assume his position after his inauguration,” the official said.

Activity within the commission also suggested that preparations are underway for Amupitan’s arrival.

An insider revealed, “I heard some of his ‘personal staff’ have been showing up at the commission, hoping he will be sworn in during the FEC meeting.”

Another insider added, “I learnt that he may likely assume office next week.”

When contacted by our correspondent, the Director Voter Education and Publicity Victoria Eta-Messi said, “We are expecting him but there is no information on when he will officially assume office.”

Amupitan, a 58-year-old Professor of Law at the University of Jos and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, was confirmed as INEC Chairman by the Senate last Thursday after a voice vote led by Senate President Godswill Akpabio.

See also  Stop Deceiving Nigerians By Asking Tinubu To Find Oyo Victims – Mbaka Carpets Makinde

The don’s confirmation followed a rigorous screening process during which he responded to a range of questions posed by lawmakers.

President Tinubu had earlier nominated Amupitan, widely regarded for his expertise in constitutional and international law, to replace Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, who recently concluded his tenure.

In the interim, National Commissioner May Agbamuche-Mbu, who has been serving as the Acting INEC Chairman, recently chaired various stakeholder meetings at thecommission’s headquarters.

Meanwhile, INEC  has reaffirmed its commitment and preparedness to conduct a free, fair, and credible governorship election in Anambra State on November 8, 2025.

INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Sam Olumekun, gave the assurance in Awka on Tuesday during a forum with journalists and on-air personalities ahead of the poll.

Olumekun said the commission had been implementing a comprehensive operational plan covering logistics, technology, training, stakeholder engagement, and security coordination.

“Permit me to assure you that INEC is fully prepared for the upcoming Anambra governorship election. The level of readiness is both practical and measurable. All non-sensitive materials have been delivered to the state, while sensitive materials will arrive in due course under strict security arrangements,” he said.

The INEC official disclosed that Permanent Voter Cards from the recently concluded Continuous Voter Registration exercise in Anambra were ready for collection from Wednesday, October 22 to Sunday, October 26, 2025.

He urged voters who registered during the exercise to visit their respective wards to collect their cards ahead of the election.

Olumekun noted that INEC officials were in Anambra for a week-long readiness assessment, including meetings with security agencies under the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security, transport unions, and other stakeholders.

See also  Police Council confirms Disu as IG

He cautioned against the spread of fake news and misinformation, which he described as one of the biggest threats to electoral integrity.

“False stories and manipulated videos can create unnecessary tension and erode public trust. Let truth remain your only compass. Verify before amplifying,” he told journalists.

Olumekun also emphasised that accreditation for journalists covering the election would not be extended beyond the approved window, noting that the list of accredited reporters would be shared with the Resident Electoral Commissioner and security agencies to ensure proper coordination and safety during collation.

In her remarks, the Anambra State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Dr. Elizabeth Awgu, assured that all logistics had been finalised to guarantee the timely distribution of materials across the state, including riverine areas.

“Materials will leave the CBN state headquarters on Thursday afternoon. If that happens, there will be no late arrival of materials. We are very much prepared for this election,” she said.

Awgu added that polling would commence at 8:30 a.m. and end at 2:30 p.m., assuring voters that anyone on the queue within the timeframe would be allowed to cast their ballot.

Also present at the forum were the HOD, ICT/VR, Emeka Nnaji; HOD, Legal, Mrs. Olachi Nwuko; and HOD, Electoral Operations, Ejikeme Ejimofor, who all restated INEC’s commitment to a transparent exercise.

“Together with the media, we are determined to make the 2025 Anambra governorship election a milestone in Nigeria’s democratic journey — peaceful, transparent, and credible,” Olumekun concluded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Kano paid N32bn gratuity, death benefits in three years

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Rivers Assembly attacks Fubara over infrastructure collapse, N600bn savings
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Tuggar demands unedited airing of Piers Morgan interview, rejects Christian persecution claims

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending