Connect with us

News

$14.8 Million Fraud: Timipre Sylva Failed To Keep A Date With His Bail Conditions – EFCC

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has dismissed claims that the declaration of former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, as wanted was politically motivated.

It was reports that the anti-graft agency declared Sylva wanted for an alleged $14.8 million fraud.

According to the Commission, he had allegedly siphoned $14,859,257 provided by the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board for the suspended Atlantic International Refinery and Petrochemical project.

Sylva also recently made headlines when soldiers raided his Abuja residence on October 25 over alleged links to an attempted coup.

His younger brother, Paga, who serves as his Special Assistant on Domestic Affairs, and his driver were also arrested during the operation.

Speaking to Punch, the spokesperson for EFCC, Dele Oyewale, stated that Sylva was declared wanted after he jumped bail.

He explained that the former governor of Bayelsa State had been under investigation for a long time and was on administrative bail.

But the Media and Public Affairs aide to Sylva, Julius Bokoru, countered the EFCC’s position, saying the former minister received no formal communication from the commission before he was declared wanted.

“No formal communication was extended to him, no established protocol was observed, only a sudden digital proclamation designed, it would seem, to inflame public sentiment and manufacture yet another episode of orchestrated hostility,” he said.

Bokoru also alleged political interference in the matter, claiming that accusations against Sylva had repeatedly shifted. He added that the former minister, who is currently in the United Kingdom for a medical check-up, intends to honour the EFCC’s invitation once he is cleared to return.

See also  Presidency Releases Names Of Some People Tinubu Granted National Pardon

“For clarity, I have not been in direct communication with Chief Sylva. However, from available information and prior official briefings, it is important to restate that Chief Sylva will, in line with his respect for lawful institutions and due process, honour the invitation of the EFCC once he concludes his ongoing medical check-up in the United Kingdom,” he added.

Reacting to reports that the former minister was not adequately invited before being declared wanted, the EFCC spokesperson maintained that Sylva was placed on administrative bail but failed to comply with its conditions.

He said, “We have invited him before; he came and was placed on administrative bail. But after he failed to keep a date with his bail conditions, he had to be declared wanted.

“We followed due process in doing that. It is not true that we did not contact him. It is not true that we did not follow procedure. If we did not follow procedure, how could we have put him on administrative bail? There is no political colouration except in the imagination of our detractors.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

FG cracks down on unapproved contract variations in MDAs

Published

on

The Federal Government, through its Bureau of Public Procurement, on Sunday barred government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies from processing upward revisions of contract sums without first obtaining a Bureau certificate.

This was as it issued other sweeping guidelines that centralised the review of all contract variations and scope modifications under its authority. According to a statement signed by its Head of Press and Public Relations, Zira Nagga, the Bureau said the reform is designed to close one of the most persistent channels for cost inflation and corruption in Nigeria’s public procurement system.

The guidelines, issued pursuant to Sections 5(a) and (o) of the Public Procurement Act 2007, give effect to a Federal Executive Council-approved policy conveyed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in December 2025.

The statement is titled ‘Contract Variations: BPP Releases Guidelines.’

The new guidelines replace an earlier 2013 framework that required Presidential approval only for variations above 15 per cent of the initial contract sum or N1bn.

Under the new framework, every request for a variation order, fluctuation claim, or scope modification, regardless of size, must first be submitted to the BPP for review and certification before proceeding to the relevant approving authority.

Nagga noted that a BPP Certificate of No Objection, valid for six months, is now a mandatory precondition for any further action. Variations processed without it will attract sanctions under the Public Procurement Act 2007, including suspension of responsible officers and debarment of contractors, the statement said.

It also quoted the Bureau’s Director-General, Adebowale Adedokun, as saying, “Variations must not become a backdoor for cost inflation and scope creep.

See also  Tinubu elevates Odumegwu-Ojukwu, appoints Enikanolaiye new minister

“These guidelines ensure that every adjustment to a public contract is necessary, justified, and delivers value to Nigerians. The BPP will apply these rules rigorously and fairly across all MDAs.”

Accordingly, the guidelines draw a firm line between permissible and impermissible grounds for variation. Acceptable grounds include unforeseen site conditions, material errors in design or bills of quantities, statutory changes after contract execution, significant price escalation due to macroeconomic shocks or force majeure, and value engineering improvements that reduce cost without altering scope.

Variations arising from inadequate planning, avoidable design flaws, or the addition of new components not contemplated in the original contract scope will be rejected outright, Nagga noted.

Such additions, the guidelines stated, must be procured as entirely separate contracts, a provision aimed at blocking the practice of using variations to effectively award new projects under the cover of an existing contract.

On fluctuation claims, adjustments for changes in the cost of labour, materials, and exchange rates, the guidelines introduced new deterrents against deliberate project delays.

It stated that, going forward, contractors found to have intentionally slowed down execution in order to generate larger fluctuation claims will be denied those claims and may be debarred if the claims are found to be bogus or overstated.

The revised approving authority thresholds are now tied to the augmentation sum, the amount of the increase, rather than the total revised contract cost. Works variations of N10bn and above will require Federal Executive Council approval.

It stated, “Those between N5bn and N10bn go to the Ministerial Tenders Board; those between N75m and N5bn to the Parastatal Tenders Board; and anything below N75m for works, or N50m for goods and services, can be approved at the Accounting Officer level.”

See also  Imo will start paying N104,000 minimum wage with August salaries – Gov’s aide

Similar thresholds apply to goods and services procurement. To address the upstream cause of many avoidable variations, the guidelines mandated the use of approved final designs for all procurements from the outset.

It also stated that the use of preliminary or flawed designs that subsequently generate unnecessary variations will attract regulatory sanctions, a provision targeting the entrenched practice of commencing projects with incomplete engineering designs.

On transparency, the BPP said all MDAs are required to publish details of every approved variation, including the contractor’s name, original contract sum, augmentation amount, revised contract sum, and grounds for the increase, on their websites and the BPP portal within 30 days of Tenders Board approval.

The BPP said it will also periodically submit council notes to the Federal Executive Council on reviewed and approved variations across government. The guidelines take immediate effect and apply to all ongoing projects regardless of when the original contract was awarded.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Oyo school attack: Seven teachers abducted, one killed — Makinde

Published

on

Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde, has confirmed that seven teachers were abducted during the recent attack on schools in the Oriire area of the state, while the exact number of missing pupils is still being determined.

The governor disclosed this on Sunday while addressing journalists on the security situation following the invasion of the schools by suspected gunmen.

He had earlier met with service commanders and heads of security agencies in the state to receive an update on the kidnapping incident.

Makinde revealed that an Islamic Studies teacher was killed during the attack, adding that security agencies had already arrested six suspects within the community and three other persons of interest in connection with the incident.

According to him, the attackers are believed to be members of armed groups fleeing intensified military operations against terrorists and bandits in the North-West.

“With the pressure on the terrorists and the bandits in the North-West, they will keep moving southward,” the governor said.

Makinde noted that he had been engaging with authorities in other states over the growing security threat, warning that terrorists displaced from conflict zones could take advantage of areas with weak security presence.

“But the problem that we have is when you have pressure in one place, we must be prepared on this side to either repel or neutralise any terrorists fleeing the pressure points,” he stated.

The governor further disclosed that preliminary intelligence reports suggested that some of those arrested might have acted as informants for the attackers within the affected communities.

See also  Japan sets new record with almost 100,000 centenarians

“The information available is that about six individuals have been arrested within the locality. Some of them we believe are informants. Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested,” Makinde added.

He stressed that the state government would not rely solely on military action in tackling the crisis, noting that consultations were ongoing with religious and community leaders, including officials of the Baptist Convention, as one of the affected schools is owned by the church.

“We have decided that we will adopt not just a kinetic approach. We are engaging leaders, elders and religious leaders, especially at the Baptist Convention,” he said.

Makinde appealed to residents to remain calm and assured families of the abducted victims that efforts were underway to secure their safe return.

“We are not taking this lightly. We will do everything within our means to resolve this quickly and bring our children back safely,” the governor assured.

Describing the development as “very difficult and challenging,” Makinde announced that the state government would commence daily press briefings to keep residents updated on rescue operations and security efforts.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

5.2-magnitude earthquake kills couple in south China

Published

on

A 5.2-magnitude earthquake struck south China’s Guangxi region on Monday, killing two people and causing 13 buildings to collapse, state media reported.

The quake hit Guangxi’s Liuzhou city at 12.21 am (1621 GMT), state news agency Xinhua said, adding that one person remained missing as of the morning.

State broadcaster CCTV identified the deceased as a couple — a 63-year-old man and a 53-year-old woman — and said search and rescue efforts for the missing person were ongoing.

Authorities had evacuated over 7,000 people from the area, it added.

Videos published by CCTV showed people fleeing high-rise buildings and piles of rubble next to destroyed homes.

Rescue workers were seen trudging through the debris, while their dogs tried to sniff out signs of life.

Emergency workers wearing helmets were also seen using earthmovers to clear the wreckage.

Earthquakes in China are relatively common.

Last January, a devastating quake in the remote Tibet region killed at least 126 people and damaged thousands of buildings.

AFP

See also  Tinubu reinstates Fubara after Emergency Rule
Continue Reading

Trending