Connect with us

News

Soludo’s wife unveils Oluremi Tinubu’s empowerment programme in Anambra

Published

on

The wife of the President, Oluremi Tinubu, has empowered women in Anambra State with recapitalisation grants and other support to boost their business, economic status and financial independence.

The Women’s Economic Empowerment programme, a N50,000 grant for each beneficiary, was done under the auspices of the First Lady’s Renewed Hope Initiative in collaboration with the Tony Elumelu Foundation.

It is a programme designed to support 500 women in each of the 36 states of the country, including the Federal Capital Territory.

Wife of the Anambra State governor, Nonye Soludo, who handed over the empowerment to the women, at the Light House, Awka, on Wednesday, said the initiative was a testament to the President’s wife’s dedication to empowering women in sustainable business and ensuring food security.

Soludo, who represented the President’s wife and read her speech before the beneficiaries, stated that the empowerment would enhance financial independence and help the women unlock their full potential.

She stressed that the empowerment showed that the government embraced the pivotal role of women in Nigeria’s economic diversification.

She said, “This economic empowerment is about supporting the entrepreneurial spirits of our women. By empowering women in their various crafts, we are not only enhancing their well-being but also promoting economic growth and sustainability in their homes.

“We recognise and deeply appreciate the noble objectives of this empowerment initiative, which is aimed at unlocking the immense potential of our women, fostering their economic independence, and creating sustainable opportunities for growth and prosperity.

“By equipping our women with these essential tools, we are strengthening their ability to build lasting livelihoods, thereby enabling them to contribute meaningfully to the inclusive and sustainable development of our nation.

See also  Sunday Igboho demands FG action as gunmen kill farmers in hometown

“It is not a loan, it is a renewed seed to enable you to invest in your business to make it more sustainable. I thank the Tony Elumelu Foundation, which donated N1bn for 500 women in each of the 36 states of the country.”

Soludo, however, said in support of the President’s wife’s programme, she has also selected an additional 500 women to be empowered, thereby bringing the total figure of beneficiaries to 1,000.

“To support our first lady, I am also presenting N50,000 each for an additional 500 women, thereby bringing the total number of women to 1,000. I hereby flag off the programme for the benefit of the people.

“Starting a business is about good management and skills. In business, seed capital is very key, you know. It’s about mindset. See this grant you have received as a ‘seed’ that can turn into millions if well invested.

“I believe that this money will work wonders in your life and do good things for you. But what is more important is to ensure a healthy living, eat well, eat clean and exercise well, take care of yourselves,” Soludo added.

Earlier on, the state Commissioner for Women Affairs, Ify Obinabo, advised the women to ensure they put the money to good use for the benefit of their families.

“This is not the first time we are experiencing this show of love from Her Excellency, Senator Oluremi Tinubu, knowing full well that with this empowerment, different women are sure of three square meals.

“Our first lady is not just giving it; she is also adding her own and doing it effortlessly. We have a rare privilege of having someone like her.

See also  Why Nigerian Airports Do Not Have Wi-Fi – Tinubu’s Minister, Keyamo Explains

“This money is not to go and buy ‘aso ebi’, it is a seed money that should be invested to boost your businesses and whatever craft you are doing,” Obinabo added.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Fresh Details Emerge On How Terrorists Killed Gen. Braimah

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Troops rescue six kidnapped victims in Benue
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Nnamdi Kanu appeals conviction, faults terrorism trial

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending