Connect with us

News

Senate confirms Fani-Kayode, Omokri, 60 others as ambassadors

Published

on

The Senate on Thursday confirmed the nomination of a former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, ex-presidential aide, Reno Omokri, and 60 others as ambassadors.

The decision followed the consideration and adoption of a report by the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, which screened the ambassadorial nominees put forward by President Bola Tinubu.

The committee, in its report, stated that all the nominees were thoroughly screened and found suitable for appointment based on their qualifications, experience, conduct and knowledge of international diplomacy.

Thursday’s exercise came about 48 hours after the upper chamber confirmed three nominees of President Tinubu as non-career ambassadors.

The earlier confirmed nominees are Lateef Kayode Are (Ogun State), Aminu Dalhatu (Jigawa State) and  Ayodele Oke (Oyo State).

Among those cleared on Thursday were former Minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau; former Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Mahmood Yakubu; former Governor of Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi; former Governor of Abia State,  Okezie Ikpeazu, Senator Ita Enang; and Senator Grace Bent, among others.

In all, the list comprises 34 career ambassadors and high commissioners, and 30 non-career ambassadors and high commissioners, bringing the total number of confirmed nominees to 64.

Notable nominees among the 34 career ambassadorial appointees include Sulu-Gambari Ahmed from Kwara State, Segun Ige from Edo State, and Odumah  Ehinosen, also from Edo State.

Presenting the report, the committee’s chairman, Senator Sani Bello (APC, Niger North), said all the nominees were found worthy of their appointments, adding that no petition was received against any of them.

In his remarks, the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio, congratulated the appointees and urged them to represent Nigeria positively in their respective countries.

See also  States on high alert as Adamawa flood death toll rises

Akpabio also appealed to Senator Ibrahim not to sever ties with the National Assembly, urging him to keep in touch so that the Senate could continue to benefit from his wealth of knowledge and experience.

The confirmation came one week after the Senate dismissed reports that it had received petitions against some of President Tinubu’s ambassadorial nominees, including Fani-Kayode, Omokri and a former INEC chairman.

The Senate had denied claims circulating in political circles and on social media that some nominees were facing opposition ahead of their confirmation.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with The PUNCH during Thursday’s proceedings, the Senate spokesperson, Senator Yemi Adaramodu, said no petition or letter of protest had been submitted to the upper chamber.

When asked specifically about alleged petitions, Adaramodu said he was not aware of any formal complaint.

He said, “I am telling you that we didn’t receive petitions from anybody, organisation or legal entity. Not even from any faceless, outlawed and rogue element. There was no petition against any nominee.”

Adaramodu also dismissed criticisms that nominees were merely asked to “take a bow and go,” a practice often criticised as superficial.

He said the screening sessions since Wednesday involved substantive engagement and questioning of nominees.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  States on high alert as Adamawa flood death toll rises

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  SERAP Sues INEC Over Alleged ₦55.9 Billion Election Funds Diversion
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  SERAP Sues INEC Over Alleged ₦55.9 Billion Election Funds Diversion

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending