Connect with us

News

FG drops N60bn fraud charges against ex-AMCON MD

Published

on

Justice Rahman Oshodi of the Lagos State Special Offences and Domestic Violence Court, Ikeja, has struck out a N60bn fraud case against former Managing Director of the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria, Ahmed Kuru, following the Federal Government’s decision to withdraw the charges.

The withdrawal was effected through the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, M.B. Abubakar, who filed a notice of discontinuance dated July 24, 2025.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had, on February 11, 2025, arraigned Kuru on amended six counts marked ID/24960C/2024, bordering on conspiracy, stealing, and transfer of property derived from an illegal act. He pleaded not guilty.

Kuru was charged alongside Sigma Golf Nigeria Limited. On the day of arraignment, Sigma Golf entered a guilty plea pursuant to a plea bargain with the EFCC and was convicted.

Following the conviction, Justice Oshodi ordered the forfeiture of 6.3 billion units of ordinary shares in Keystone Bank Limited — valued at N1 each — to the Federal Government.

The forfeiture was tied to Sigma Golf’s admission of fraudulently converting N20bn belonging to AMCON.

The EFCC alleged that the diverted funds were channelled through Heritage Bank to benefit Sigma Golf in its acquisition of Keystone Bank.

It also accused Kuru, alongside the former Managing Director of Heritage Bank, Ifie Sekibo (now at large), of dishonestly converting N20bn of AMCON funds and transferring another N20bn derived from theft to conceal its source.

According to the commission, the offences contravened Section 332(1) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011, and were punishable under Section 332(3).

See also  How Many Terrorists Were Killed? – ADC Fires Tinubu Govt, Says US Airstrikes Shows Incompetence

Although the matter was slated for trial, proceedings never commenced before the prosecution sought to terminate the case.

At Monday’s hearing, prosecution counsel, V.J. Alma, urged the court to discharge the defendant in light of the charges withdrawal.

Defence counsel, Olasupo Shasore (SAN), supported the application and further requested the release of Kuru’s sureties and the discharge of the bond.

In his ruling, Justice Oshodi upheld the prosecution’s right to withdraw charges at any stage of proceedings.

“It is well established in criminal jurisprudence,” the judge said, “that the prosecution possesses the prerogative to withdraw from the prosecution of any matter at any stage of the proceedings. Given that withdrawal, the defendant is hereby discharged under Section 73(1)(i) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Lagos State, 2015, and Section 108(2)(a) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015.”

The court also ordered the discharge of the bond entered on Kuru’s behalf, the release of his sureties, and the lifting of the Nigerian Immigration Service restriction on his passport. His travel documents were ordered to be returned.

“In the circumstances,” Justice Oshodi concluded, “this matter is hereby struck out.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  How Many Terrorists Were Killed? – ADC Fires Tinubu Govt, Says US Airstrikes Shows Incompetence

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Terrorism: Judge begs Nnamdi Kanu in ‘God’s name’ to consult lawyers

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Fintiri re-unites 14 abducted children with parents
Continue Reading

Trending