Connect with us

News

Niger Delta militancy made Jonathan’s presidency possible – Ateke Tom

Published

on

The Amanyanabo of Okochiri, Okrika Local Government Area of Rivers State, HRM Michael Ateke Tom, has said his decision to take up arms in the Niger Delta struggle was to draw attention to the plight and marginalisation of the oil-rich region.

King Ateke, a former militant leader, said the agitation by the militants eventually got the Federal Government’s attention, adding that part of its benefit was the emergence of Goodluck Jonathan from the region as Nigeria’s president.

Ateke spoke on Thursday when he received members of the ECOWAS Parliament on a courtesy visit to his palace in Okochiri.

The delegation, led by the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Hadja Memounatou Ibrahima was in Port Harcourt for the 2nd Extraordinary Parliamentary Session on “Harnessing Artificial Intelligence for Parliamentary Efficiency, Ethical Governance, and Development in the ECOWAS Region.”

Reflecting on his past involvement in the Niger Delta militancy, the monarch said, “My intention was to draw the attention of the Federal Government and the world to the plight of the Niger Delta, a region that produces oil and gas yet suffers the most.

“The agitation brought the Federal Government’s focus to our challenges. It was that same movement that created the opportunity where our people were remembered, like Goodluck Jonathan, could emerge as President of Nigeria.

“I wanted the Federal Government to truly see what was happening here—the pollution, the poverty, the suffering of our people amidst the wealth generated from oil exploration. Eventually, the government responded, and I was among those who helped to broker peace. I appealed to the agitators to lay down their arms and give peace a chance, and many did. Today, we are seeing the results of that peace.”

See also  Nigeria condemns G’Bissau coup, Jonathan evacuated by special flight

He urged the ECOWAS Parliament to use its platform to advocate for sustained development in the Niger Delta.

“We appreciate what the government has done so far, but there’s still a long way to go to lift our people out of poverty. I urge you to include this in your legislative considerations,” Ateke said.

The monarch also pledged his readiness to support national efforts to tackle insecurity, stressing,

“As a traditional ruler, I am not a politician. I’m ready to contribute my experience to efforts aimed at restoring peace and security in the Niger Delta and Nigeria as a whole,” he said.

Speaking on behalf of the parliamentarians, Dr Awaji-Inombek Abiante, who represents Andoni-Opobo/Nkoro Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, praised the monarch’s peace advocacy. “We are here to engage with you and seek insights on how the peace in the Niger Delta can be further strengthened, which will guide our legislative work at the ECOWAS Parliament,” he said.

The Speaker of the ECOWAS Parliament, Rt. Hon. Hadja Memounatou Ibrahima also commended the monarch, saying, “We are honoured to be with you and learn from your leadership. Your efforts in ensuring peace in the Niger Delta are commendable and provide valuable lessons for the broader ECOWAS region.”

Similarly, the Third Deputy Speaker, Hon. Alexander Afenyo-Markin, said Ateke’s reputation preceded him. “We have heard many positive things about your contributions to peace and development. That’s why we insisted on visiting your palace while in Rivers State,” he noted.

The Fourth Deputy Speaker, Hon. Billay Tunkara, urged the monarch to continue sharing his insights with the Federal Government, saying they could prove useful in addressing insecurity across the country.

See also  PHOTOS: Fire guts Borno restaurant

The King’s mouthpiece, Chief Dr Chris Opuayaraya, expressed gratitude for the visit, stating, “The King is always open to partnerships with governments, organisations, and individuals committed to peace and development in the Niger Delta and Nigeria as a whole.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Madagascar PM urges dialogue and unity after soldiers join protesters

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu’s Support For State Police, Major Step To Rejig Nigeria’s Security – Group

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Was government’s hyper reaction to Sowore’s protest necessary?
Continue Reading

Trending