Connect with us

News

24 rescued, 14 dead, 42 missing in Kogi boat crash — NEMA

Published

on

The National Emergency Management Agency has reported that 24 passengers were rescued, 14 bodies recovered, and 42 people remain missing following a boat accident on the River Niger in Ibaji Local Government Area, Kogi State.

NEMA, in a post shared on X on Thursday, said the incident occurred on Tuesday and involved a boat carrying about 80 passengers travelling from Onugwa community to Olushi village in Ibaji LGA.

Boat accidents are a recurring and serious challenge in Nigeria, particularly in riverine states where waterways serve as key transport routes.

Over the years, incidents involving overcrowded vessels, poorly maintained boats, and insufficient adherence to safety regulations have claimed hundreds of lives.

NEMA stated, “According to reports, the incident happened at about 5:40 p.m. on Tuesday, 30th September 2025, when a boat carrying about 80 passengers capsized while en route to Olushi village after departing from Onugwa community in Ibaji LGA.

“Upon receiving the report, the Director General of NEMA, Mrs. Zubaida Umar, immediately activated the Agency’s Abuja Operations Office, directing it to deploy personnel to the scene of the tragedy in support of ongoing local rescue efforts. The deployment underscores NEMA’s resolve to provide timely intervention and strengthen coordination with state and community responders.

“Search and Rescue (SAR) operations commenced swiftly, leading to the rescue of 24 passengers alive. Sadly, 14 corpses have so far been recovered, while 42 persons remain missing as efforts to locate and recover them continue.”

It noted that community divers are actively assisting official rescue teams, and the operation is ongoing with updates to follow.

The agency emphasised that the rescue efforts are being coordinated with the active participation of multiple agencies and stakeholders, including the Kogi State Emergency Management Agency; the Local Emergency Management Committee, Ibaji; the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps; the National Inland Waterways Authority; the Fire Service; the Nigerian Red Cross Society; local divers; and community members.

See also  “Awujale Was More Than A Royal Father To Me” — Tinubu Pays Tribute

“The joint effort underscores the importance of multi-agency collaboration in tackling disasters and ensuring a timely response.

“The NEMA response team, led by the Head of Abuja Operations Office, Mr. Zakari Abubakar, has also visited the traditional ruler of Onugwa community, Chief Patrick Arome, and commiserated with him and the people over the tragic incident.

“The tragedy further highlights the urgent need for strict compliance with water safety regulations, including the use of life jackets and enforcement of passenger limits on boats,” it added.

While earlier reports had put the death toll at 26, the latest report from NEMA confirmed that 24 passengers were rescued, 14 bodies recovered, and 42 people remain missing following the boat accident.

Meanwhile, President Bola Tinubu condoled with the government and people of Kogi State over the sad incident.

In a CORRECTED: 24 rescued, 14 dead, 42 missing in Kogi boat mishap -NEMA

Lara Adejoro

The National Emergency Management Agency has reported that 24 passengers were rescued, 14 bodies recovered, and 42 people remain missing following a boat accident on the River Niger in Ibaji Local Government Area, Kogi State.

NEMA, in a post on X on Thursday, said the incident occurred on Tuesday and involved a boat carrying about 80 passengers traveling from Onugwa community to Olushi village in Ibaji LGA.

Boat accidents are a recurring and serious challenge in Nigeria, particularly in riverine states where waterways serve as key transport routes.

Over the years, incidents involving overcrowded vessels, poorly maintained boats, and insufficient adherence to safety regulations have claimed hundreds of lives.

See also  See why it’s hard tracking bandits with technology — Presidential aide

NEMA stated, “According to reports, the incident happened at about 5:40 p.m. on Tuesday, 30th September 2025, when a boat carrying about 80 passengers capsized while en route to Olushi village after departing from Onugwa community in Ibaji LGA.

“Upon receiving the report, the Director General of NEMA, Mrs. Zubaida Umar, immediately activated the Agency’s Abuja Operations Office, directing it to deploy personnel to the scene of the tragedy in support of ongoing local rescue efforts. The deployment underscores NEMA’s resolve to provide timely intervention and strengthen coordination with state and community responders.

“Search and Rescue (SAR) operations commenced swiftly, leading to the rescue of 24 passengers alive. Sadly, 14 corpses have so far been recovered, while 42 persons remain missing as efforts to locate and recover them continue.”

It noted that community divers are actively assisting official rescue teams, and the operation is ongoing with updates to follow.

The agency emphasized that the rescue efforts are being coordinated with the active participation of multiple agencies and stakeholders, including the Kogi State Emergency Management Agency; the Local Emergency Management Committee, Ibaji; the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps; the National Inland Waterways Authority; the Fire Service; the Nigerian Red Cross Society; local divers; and community members.

“The joint effort underscores the importance of multi-agency collaboration in tackling disasters and ensuring a timely response.

“The NEMA response team, led by the Head of Abuja Operations Office, Mr. Zakari Abubakar, has also visited the traditional ruler of Onugwa community, Chief Patrick Arome, and commiserated with him and the people over the tragic incident.

“The tragedy further highlights the urgent need for strict compliance with water safety regulations, including the use of life jackets and enforcement of passenger limits on boats,” it added.

See also  177 abducted Kaduna worshippers, bandits sighted in transit — Village Head

While earlier reports had put the death toll at 26, the latest report from NEMA confirmed that 24 passengers were rescued, 14 bodies recovered, and 42 people remain missing following the boat accident.

Meanwhile, President Bola Tinubu condoled with the government and people of Kogi State over the sad incident.

In a statement issued on Wednesday and signed by his adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President described the incident as “shocking and unfortunate,” noting that the deceased were on legitimate missions to earn a living.

“The President commends the first responders at the accident scene and urges federal, state, and local emergency responders to step up their efforts to provide needed assistance to survivors and victims,” it read partly.

He also pressed water transport operators to prioritise safety over profit and prayed for solace for the bereaved and swift recovery for the injured.

issued on Wednesday and signed by his adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President described the incident as “shocking and unfortunate,” noting that the deceased were on legitimate missions to earn a living.

“The President commends the first responders at the accident scene and urges federal, state, and local emergency responders to step up their efforts to provide needed assistance to survivors and victims,” it read partly.

He also urged water transport operators to prioritise safety over profit and prayed for solace for the bereaved and swift recovery for the injured.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  See why it’s hard tracking bandits with technology — Presidential aide

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Nigerians entitled to compulsory health insurance — Falana
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Nigerians entitled to compulsory health insurance — Falana

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Why Do You Continue To Lie Against Your Motherland? Presidency Calls Out Kemi Badenoch

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending