Connect with us

News

Aregbesola group tackles FG over Osun LG allocations

Published

on

Omoluabi Progressives, a group loyal to former Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, has accused the Federal Government of unlawfully releasing local government allocations in Osun State to what it described as “illegal” council chairmen loyal to the All Progressives Congress.

The group, in a statement on Monday, warned the chairmen elected during the October 15, 2022 council election held under the administration of former Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, against spending the six months’ allocation recently released to them.

The chairman of the group, Mr. Isha Adesiji, said the release of the funds—allegedly paid into accounts belonging to persons not recognised by law—was “a gross violation of financial regulations” and an attempt by the APC-led Federal Government to convert Osun’s public resources into a political war chest.

“Government allocations cannot be paid directly or indirectly into any individual’s account. Doing so amounts to an egregious violation of financial procedures which the ICPC should urgently investigate,” Adesiji said at a press briefing in Osogbo.

“The so-called YES OR NO illegal chairmen must not touch the money. The Federal Government must stop treating Osun people’s resources as the APC’s political war fund.”

Adesiji alleged that the FG, instead of respecting court rulings and upholding due process, was “starving duly elected local government executives” produced by the Peoples Democratic Party administration of Governor Ademola Adeleke while empowering a “disbanded” set of chairmen reinstated by a controversial appellate judgment.

“This unconscionable act amounts to a declaration of war against the Nigerian Constitution and against the people of Osun State. It sets a dangerous precedent where the Federal Government disregards valid court judgments to entrench its party’s rejected cronies in power,” he said.

The Omoluabi Progressives urged professional bodies, civil society groups, and labour unions to resist what it called the Federal Government’s “creeping authoritarianism,” saying the issue went beyond partisan politics and touched on constitutional integrity.

See also  Ogun urges residents to relocate over flood threat

But in a swift reaction, the Osun State chapter of the APC dismissed the group’s position as “belated and attention-seeking.”

The Osun APC  spokesperson, Kola Olabisi, accused the Aregbesola-backed group of siding with the PDP and misrepresenting the February 10, 2025 Court of Appeal judgment which, according to the APC, reinstated the party’s chairmen and councillors.

“It would be pertinent for discerning minds to ask if those driving the affairs of Omoluabi Progressives have just woken up from their slumber,” Olabisi said in a statement.

“Their tirade is not only stale but exposes their bias and desperation to remain relevant.”

Olabisi also challenged the Aregbesola group’s authority to interpret court judgments, urging it to focus on reviving the African Democratic Congress—under which Aregbesola serves as National Secretary—rather than “dabbling in issues that do not concern it.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Ogun Police Command Deploy Tactical teams on Surveillance Operation In Ajebo Community

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  U.S. Court Jails Nigerian Fraudster Oluwaseun Adekoya To 20 Years For Impersonation And 2M U.S.Dollars Fraud

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  U.S. Court Jails Nigerian Fraudster Oluwaseun Adekoya To 20 Years For Impersonation And 2M U.S.Dollars Fraud
Continue Reading

Trending