Connect with us

News

Enugu gov, minister trade words over allleged certificate forgery

Published

on

The controversy surrounding the academic credentials of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, Uche Nnaji, deepened on Monday as his media aide, Robert Ngwu, accused Enugu State Governor, Peter Mbah, of orchestrating a smear campaign against the minister.

But in a swift reaction, the governor denied the allegation, asking the minister to “carry your cross”.

Speaking during a press conference in Abuja, the minister’s aide denied allegations that his principal, Nnaji, forged his university and National Youth Service Corps certificates, describing the claims as politically motivated.

He alleged that the campaign was being driven by Mbah to discredit the minister for political reasons.

Ngwu claimed that “all these sponsored events are being coordinated by Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State,” whom he accused of making Nnaji the scapegoat for his various challenges.

“The governor had given a new name to all his problems — Chief Uche Geoffrey Nnaji,” Ngwu said, alleging the attacks were linked to the governor’s political ambitions.

Ngwu further stated that Mbah, who is reportedly seeking a second term, views Nnaji as an obstacle to his rumoured plan to defect to the All Progressives Congress from the Peoples Democratic Party.

The minister’s aide further stated that Nnaji had formally requested his academic transcript from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, to clear his name, but noted that the university failed to release it despite a court order.

“He asked the school to release his transcript. He applied for his transcript so that it becomes clear to everyone because it is the ultimate. So, that is why, even with the court order, they have not seen reasons to release his transcript,” he said.

He also alleged that Nnaji’s file was being held in the office of the Vice-Chancellor of UNN.

“We have information that the minister’s file was kept under lock and key in the vice-chancellor’s office. Why would the file of a serving minister of the Federal Republic be sitting in your office?” Ngwu asked.

Addressing a reported discrepancy in the name appearing on the documents — “Nnaji Uchenna” instead of “Uche Geoffrey Nnaji,” Ngwu pointed out that the variation was culturally explainable.

“There is no actual discrepancy. In the Igbo language, ‘Uchenna’ or ‘Uchechukwu’ essentially carries the same meaning — often interpreted as ‘the will’ or ‘mind of God.’ They are commonly used interchangeably. The surname remains consistent,” he argued.

Ngwu maintained that Nnaji graduated from UNN in 1985 and said the university confirmed this in writing in December 2023.

The latest developments followed a Premium Times investigative report published on Saturday, which alleged that Nnaji submitted forged academic and NYSC certificates to President Bola Tinubu and the Senate during his ministerial nomination process in 2023.

See also  Spiritual cleansing: Parents defending Rivers pastor who flogged children need counselling – NAPTIP

The report claimed that the UNN disowned the degree certificate submitted by Nnaji, stating that although he was admitted in 1981, he did not complete his studies and was never awarded a degree.

The university’s Vice-Chancellor, Simon Ortuanya, confirmed this in a response to a Freedom of Information request dated October 2, in which he stated that Nnaji was not a graduate of the institution.

This contradicted a December 2023 response from UNN’s Registrar, Celine Nnebedum, who had previously confirmed Nnaji’s graduation but later recanted before the Public Complaints Commission in 23 May 2025 letter that the university searched its graduation records for the 1985 session but could not find Mr Nnaji’s name on them.

The investigation also revealed that in a court affidavit, Nnaji admitted that the university never issued him a degree certificate and that he had “never collected one.”

In September, Nnaji filed a lawsuit at the Federal High Court against the Minister of Education, the National Universities Commission, UNN, Vice-Chancellor Ortuanya, and others, seeking to restrain the university from “tampering” with his academic records.

The case was heard on Monday, with Sebastian Hon (SAN) representing Nnaji, while E.M. Asogwa appeared for the university and its officials.

The Minister of Education and the NUC, the first and second respondents, were not represented at the hearing.

Nnaji’s legal team challenged the Premium Times article, calling it damaging given the ongoing litigation over the minister’s academic records.

Denying Nnaji’s allegations, however, the Director of Information at the Enugu State Ministry of Information and Communication, Chukwuemeka Nebo, stated that the government had no connection to the controversy.

“The Enugu State Government dissociates itself completely from these allegations. The honourable minister must carry his own cross and clear his name before Nigerians, instead of dragging the government into issues that are entirely personal to him,” Nebo said.

Nebo criticised the minister’s failure to personally confront the issue, saying, “A large number of Nigerian and international journalists reportedly gathered on the minister’s invitation to hear directly from him.

“But rather than appear before them to answer questions and establish his innocence, the minister absconded, leaving behind proxies who could not withstand the barrage of legitimate questions from journalists.”

The director questioned the minister’s decision to delegate the press briefing to proxies, asking: “Who can narrate Chief Nnaji’s UNN story better than him? Why invite the media, only to outsource the conference? Why send third parties, who lack the answers to critical questions, if he truly has nothing to hide?”

See also  Doctors to decide on nationwide strike today

Nebo outlined a series of questions the public expects the minister to answer, particularly surrounding his academic and service records.

“Did he, for his screening, present a purported degree certificate to the Senate showing that he graduated from the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka, in July 1985?

“Is it true that he deposed in a Federal High Court filing in Abuja that he was not issued any degree certificate by UNN and, if so, how did he come about the degree certificate he presented to the Senate?

“Is it also true that while he claims to have graduated in July 1985, he applied to the university to retake Virology (Course code: MCB 431) in the September 1985 Supplementary Examination, having failed the course?

“Is it also true that the university, in a November 8, 1985 letter, informed Uche Nnaji that he again failed Virology (Course code: MCB 431) in the Supplementary Examinations, but could register to retake the course in the June 1986 examinations, provided he paid an examination fee of N4.00 (Four naira)?

“Is it true that on January 3, 1986, he again applied to retake the Virology (Course code: MCB 431) examination in June 1986, stating in his letter that the receipt for the payment of the N4.00 (Four Naira) resit fee had been attached?”

The statement also raised questions about the credentials the minister submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission during the 2023 governorship election.

“Is it true that while he claims to be in possession of a university degree, he only submitted his Secondary School WASC Certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission for his participation in the 2023 governorship election?

“Why did Uche Nnaji’s proxy state at the Abuja press conference that the minister ‘graduated’, while avoiding stating categorically that he was issued a degree certificate?”

Further scrutiny was directed at the minister’s National Youth Service Corps discharge certificate.

The statement questioned, “Did he also present a purported NYSC discharge certificate showing that he commenced his national service in April 1985, three months before his supposed graduation, and served until July 1986 — an unusual duration of 13 months instead of the usual 12 months of national service?

“Whereas the CEO of the NYSC at the time he claimed to have undergone the national service was Col. Edet Akpan (January 1984 to December 1987), Uche Nnaji’s NYSC discharge certificate was signed by Col. Animashaun Braimoh, who was NYSC CEO from January 1988 to December 1990.

See also  US Embassy warns citizens ahead of #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest in Abuja

“Is it true that NYSC certificates issued up till October 1990 had six-digit numbering devoid of alphabetic characters, but Uche Nnaji’s discharge certificate, supposedly issued in 1986, was numbered A231309, which includes the alphabet ‘A’?”

The statement concluded with what Nebo described as the core of the controversy.

“Is it a fact that he deposed to an affidavit in the suit he filed in court that UNN did not issue him any certificate? And if that is the case, Nigerians want to know how he came about the certificate he submitted to the Senate of his own free will in 2023.

“These are the clarifications Nigerians earnestly yearn for, and Chief Uche Nnaji is urged to brave up to clear his name, if he is truly innocent, rather than trading blames,” Nebo said.

The latest developments followed a Premium Times investigative report published on Saturday, which alleged that Nnaji submitted forged academic and NYSC certificates to President Bola Tinubu and the Senate during his ministerial nomination process in 2023.

The report claimed that the UNN disowned the degree certificate submitted by Nnaji, stating that although he was admitted in 1981, he did not complete his studies and was never awarded a degree.

The university’s Vice-Chancellor, Simon Ortuanya, confirmed this in a response to a Freedom of Information request dated October 2, in which he stated that Nnaji was not a graduate of the institution.

This contradicted a December 2023 response from UNN’s Registrar, Celine Nnebedum, who had previously confirmed Nnaji’s graduation but later recanted before the Public Complaints Commission in 23 May 2025 letter that the university searched its graduation records for the 1985 session but could not find Mr Nnaji’s name on them.

The investigation also revealed that in a court affidavit, Nnaji admitted that the university never issued him a degree certificate and that he had “never collected one.”

In September, Nnaji filed a lawsuit at the Federal High Court against the Minister of Education, the National Universities Commission, UNN, Vice-Chancellor Ortuanya, and others, seeking to restrain the release of his academic records.

The case was heard on Monday, with Sebastian Hon (SAN) representing Nnaji, while E.M. Asogwa appeared for the university and its officials. The Minister of Education and the NUC, the first and second respondents, were not represented at the hearing.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  US Embassy warns citizens ahead of #FreeNnamdiKanuNow protest in Abuja
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending