Connect with us

News

Certificate scandal: See who ordered ex-minister’s resignation

Published

on

More details have emerged on the resignation of a former Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, Uche Nnaji.

The embattled minister was ordered to resign following allegations of certificate forgery against him.

Nnaji was accused of forging his BSc and National Youth Service Corps certificates.

The former minister claimed to have acquired his degree from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State, in 1985, which the school denied.

Presidential aides told Saturday PUNCH that President Bola Tinubu invited Nnaji to the Villa, where he was directed to resign.

The scandal

Nnaji’s ordeal started when Premium Times published an investigation exposing how he allegedly forged his degree and NYSC certificates, which he submitted to the President and the Nigerian Senate during his ministerial screening in 2023.

The online medium insisted that Nnaji did not complete his university education.

Premium Times, in a Freedom of Information request to UNN, asked the university to release Nnaji’s academic records.

In a letter dated October 2, 2025, the university Vice-Chancellor, Prof Simon Ortuanya, told Premium Times that the university did not issue Nnaji’s certificate, as he did not complete his studies.

The ex-minister then approached the Federal High Court in Abuja seeking to stop UNN from releasing his academic records.

Nnaji, through an ex parte motion, marked FHC/ABJ/CS/1909/2025, asked the court to restrain the university from releasing or tampering with his academic records.

In court documents filed in the suit, Nnaji admitted that he had yet to collect his degree certificate. This was contrary to his earlier submission of a certificate during his ministerial screening.

See also  Nigerian embassies hit by unpaid rent, salary arrears

Justice Hausa Yilwa, in a ruling delivered on September 22, dismissed Nnaji’s request.

Resignation

Following the publication of his open admission, Nnaji resigned his ministerial appointment.

Nnaji said the decision was taken to protect his integrity and prevent distractions to the Federal Government’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

According to him, his exit followed “an orchestrated sustained campaign of falsehood, politically motivated, and malicious attacks” targeted at his person and office over the past week.

“These unfounded allegations and media distortions have not only caused personal distress but have also begun to distract from the vital work of the ministry and the Renewed Hope Agenda of Mr President,” he said.

Nnaji maintained that his decision to quit was not an admission of guilt, but a move to uphold due process and respect ongoing judicial proceedings.

The former minister said he could not in good conscience allow “distractions to cast a shadow over the noble objectives” of the Tinubu administration, adding that his reputation had been built over “five decades anchored on hard work, honour, and service to humanity.”

How Nnaji was forced to resign

Meanwhile, a credible source in the Presidency told Saturday PUNCH that the ex-minister was forced to resign.

“The President invited him over to the Villa and asked him to resign. He was not threatened with a sack; the President didn’t have to do that because he appointed him and he could ask him to resign. So, Nnaji had no option than to do that,” he said.

When asked whether the President would take action against the Department of State Services for allowing Nnaji’s alleged certificate forgery to slip through the vetting process, the source said, “We cannot place the blame solely on the DSS. What about the Senate that screened him? They were also expected to scrutinise the certificates he presented.”

See also  More to go – Enenche reacts to US military missiles in Sokoto, fires terrorists sympathizers

Another senior presidential aide noted that Nnaji had to resign to save the government from further embarrassment.

“The President asked him (Nnaji) to resign. Of course, he had become an embarrassment and a distraction to the government and the longer you drag it, the more damaging it becomes. Some ministers and presidential aides felt that the earlier the President offloaded him (Nnaji), the better. He was becoming a liability to the government. It is not an allegation that can be swept under the carpet, so the best thing was for him to leave. Give him a soft landing, so the President told him to resign,” he said.

He accused UNN of complicity for allowing the matter to drag on for so long.

The university’s registrar, Celine Nnebedum, had on December 21, 2023, told People’s Gazette that Nnaji graduated.

Nnebedum recanted the claim in May and October 2025.

“It took that long (for Nnaji’s resignation) because the university wrote a letter that he (Nnaji) graduated; they claimed that he graduated, but they are now saying that he did not graduate,” the source added.

He also exonerated the DSS, arguing that the security agency might have been misled by the university.

“I know that the DSS has the resources to do a good job and they have always done a good job, maybe this one slipped or maybe they got the letter from the school that he graduated from there,” he said.

A DSS official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said people blaming the security agency did not know what played out behind the scene.

See also  See why Trump hammered hard on Nigeria again!

The source insisted that the agency played its role with due diligence.

The official declined further comment on the matter.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  See why Trump hammered hard on Nigeria again!

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Alaafin to install Seyi Tinubu as ‘Okanlomo of Yorubaland’ Saturday

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Thank God for Dangote refinery, Ojulari tells Nigerians
Continue Reading

Trending