Connect with us

News

Edun recovering, no plans for replacement – Presidency

Published

on

Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr Wale Edun, is recuperating in his Abuja home after falling ill, and there are no plans by President Bola Tinubu to replace him, multiple sources in the Presidency confirmed.

Speaking with our correspondent, a senior official who preferred not to be named because he was not authorised to speak publicly, dismissed rumours that the minister suffered a stroke or had been flown abroad for treatment.

“Yes, he’s indisposed. He’s sick, which is a bit serious, but it’s not stroke,” the source said.

The source continued, “As I’m talking to you, he’s in his house. He has not been flown anywhere.

“Of course, he might seek medical attention elsewhere if the doctors say that is necessary. So, it’s not true that he has a stroke.

“He doesn’t have a stroke, which is why we put it in the statement that he is indisposed.”

Another official confirmed that Edun is receiving care by Nigerian doctors and may seek medical attention abroad if the need arises.

“He’s being attended to by Nigerian doctors.

“They’re still monitoring him. If he needs medical care outside Nigeria, he will go. But he’s still at home,” he said, adding, “There are no plans to replace him.“

Meanwhile, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said the Minister is receiving medical care in Nigeria.

“Yes, he’s indisposed. Wale Edun is about 69 years old. He suddenly fell ill.  As we are talking, he is in Nigeria. He is recuperating. He’s around,” Onanuga told our correspondent on Sunday evening.

See also  Senator Ned Nwoko must be held accountable for crimes against a minor and abuse of power- Omoyele Sowore

The Presidency’s comments follows reports by The Whistler that President Tinubu was considering replacing the minister after reports of his ill health emerged late last week.

Earlier, the Presidency had confirmed that Edun would not be attending this year’s World Bank and International Monetary Fund Annual Meetings in Washington, D.C., stating that the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Olayemi Cardoso, would lead Nigeria’s delegation in his stead.

The meetings, which bring together finance ministers, central bankers, and economic experts from around the world, are scheduled to begin on Monday, October 14.

Appointed on August 28, 2023 as Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Edun has been at the forefront of President Tinubu’s fiscal reform agenda, including efforts to stabilise the naira, reduce inflation, and attract foreign investment.

He served as Lagos State Commissioner for Finance under Tinubu’s administration between 1999 and 2004.

At the time of this report, the Finance Ministry is yet to issue its official position.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: U.S soldier searches for her Nigerian father

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Lagos begins demolition of illegal buildings at trade fair complex

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: U.S soldier searches for her Nigerian father
Continue Reading

Trending