Connect with us

News

Amupitan resumes as INEC chair next week ahead of Anambra poll

Published

on

The new Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Joash Amupitan, is expected to officially assume office next week, ahead of the November 8 Anambra State governorship election.

Multiple officials at INEC informed The PUNCH that Amupitan would formally take over the reins of the commission after his swearing-in by President Bola Tinubu, a ceremony traditionally conducted at the Federal Executive Council meeting, expected to be held next week.

“Prof. Amupitan will assume office on the day he is sworn in by the President.

“The tradition is that he gets sworn in before a Federal Executive Council meeting, and he would be escorted by INEC National Commissioners to resume office immediately,” a senior official involved in the transition process said.

An INEC Director confirmed that while the exact date remains uncertain, the swearing-in is imminent.

“He will assume his position after his inauguration,” the official said.

Activity within the commission also suggested that preparations are underway for Amupitan’s arrival.

An insider revealed, “I heard some of his ‘personal staff’ have been showing up at the commission, hoping he will be sworn in during the FEC meeting.”

Another insider added, “I learnt that he may likely assume office next week.”

When contacted by our correspondent, the Director Voter Education and Publicity Victoria Eta-Messi said, “We are expecting him but there is no information on when he will officially assume office.”

Amupitan, a 58-year-old Professor of Law at the University of Jos and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, was confirmed as INEC Chairman by the Senate last Thursday after a voice vote led by Senate President Godswill Akpabio.

See also  Insecurity: State Assemblies move to debate state police

The don’s confirmation followed a rigorous screening process during which he responded to a range of questions posed by lawmakers.

President Tinubu had earlier nominated Amupitan, widely regarded for his expertise in constitutional and international law, to replace Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, who recently concluded his tenure.

In the interim, National Commissioner May Agbamuche-Mbu, who has been serving as the Acting INEC Chairman, recently chaired various stakeholder meetings at thecommission’s headquarters.

Meanwhile, INEC  has reaffirmed its commitment and preparedness to conduct a free, fair, and credible governorship election in Anambra State on November 8, 2025.

INEC’s National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voter Education Committee, Sam Olumekun, gave the assurance in Awka on Tuesday during a forum with journalists and on-air personalities ahead of the poll.

Olumekun said the commission had been implementing a comprehensive operational plan covering logistics, technology, training, stakeholder engagement, and security coordination.

“Permit me to assure you that INEC is fully prepared for the upcoming Anambra governorship election. The level of readiness is both practical and measurable. All non-sensitive materials have been delivered to the state, while sensitive materials will arrive in due course under strict security arrangements,” he said.

The INEC official disclosed that Permanent Voter Cards from the recently concluded Continuous Voter Registration exercise in Anambra were ready for collection from Wednesday, October 22 to Sunday, October 26, 2025.

He urged voters who registered during the exercise to visit their respective wards to collect their cards ahead of the election.

Olumekun noted that INEC officials were in Anambra for a week-long readiness assessment, including meetings with security agencies under the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security, transport unions, and other stakeholders.

See also  Police Arrest Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, IPOB Leaders, Others

He cautioned against the spread of fake news and misinformation, which he described as one of the biggest threats to electoral integrity.

“False stories and manipulated videos can create unnecessary tension and erode public trust. Let truth remain your only compass. Verify before amplifying,” he told journalists.

Olumekun also emphasised that accreditation for journalists covering the election would not be extended beyond the approved window, noting that the list of accredited reporters would be shared with the Resident Electoral Commissioner and security agencies to ensure proper coordination and safety during collation.

In her remarks, the Anambra State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Dr. Elizabeth Awgu, assured that all logistics had been finalised to guarantee the timely distribution of materials across the state, including riverine areas.

“Materials will leave the CBN state headquarters on Thursday afternoon. If that happens, there will be no late arrival of materials. We are very much prepared for this election,” she said.

Awgu added that polling would commence at 8:30 a.m. and end at 2:30 p.m., assuring voters that anyone on the queue within the timeframe would be allowed to cast their ballot.

Also present at the forum were the HOD, ICT/VR, Emeka Nnaji; HOD, Legal, Mrs. Olachi Nwuko; and HOD, Electoral Operations, Ejikeme Ejimofor, who all restated INEC’s commitment to a transparent exercise.

“Together with the media, we are determined to make the 2025 Anambra governorship election a milestone in Nigeria’s democratic journey — peaceful, transparent, and credible,” Olumekun concluded.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Troops rescue six kidnapped victims in Benue

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Insecurity: Nigeria free to seek help from outside—OBJ

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Police Arrest Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer, Aloy Ejimakor, IPOB Leaders, Others
Continue Reading

Trending