Connect with us

News

Anglican church to consecrate 15 bishops, unveil 14 dioceses

Published

on

The Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion, on Thursday, said it was set to consecrate 15 new bishops and inaugurate 14 newly created dioceses.

The Communication Officer of the Church, Korede Akintunde, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday in Abuja.

He said that the Primate, Most Rev. Henry Ndukuba, would lead a gathering of Archbishops and Bishops in a sacred service in Abuja on November 9 to perform the ecclesiastic functions.

According to Akintunde, the consecration of 15 newly elected bishops and the creation of 14 dioceses marked a massive expansion of the church’s episcopal leadership.

“This historic event is the culmination of a process that began at the Episcopal Synod held on Sept. 18, 2025, at the Cathedral Church of Emmanuel, Okesha, Ado-Ekiti.

“Rising from that synod, the House of Bishops elected new bishops to fill one existing vacancy in the Diocese of Irele/Eseodo and to provide leadership for 14 of the 15 recently created dioceses.’’

He said that the move signalled both growth and a strategic spread of the gospel.

“The consecration service will confirm the 15 men as the new episcopal leaders, entrusting them with the spiritual oversight of their respective dioceses.

“However, the momentum will not stop in Abuja. Immediately after the consecration service, the church will embark on an unprecedented six-week stretch of diocesan inaugurations across the nation.

“From the middle of November to the cusp of Christmas 2025, the Primate will crisscross the country to officially inaugurate 14 new dioceses, planting the flag of the Anglican Communion in fresh territories and deepening its reach.

See also  Fubara cancels N134b secretariat contract awarded by Ibas, orders refund

“The inauguration schedule is tentatively slated as follows: For Keffi-Karshi and Nasarawa, it will be Nov.15, while Lagos South-West will be November 25. For Oyo South and Oyun will be on Nov 26, and Ekiti South will be on November 27.

“Others are Idanre on Nov. 28, Ozoro on December 2, Ikom and Ogoja on December 4, Kalabari and Omoku on Dec. 5, Zuru on Dec. 17 and Takum on December 20,’’ he said.

Akintunde quoted Ndukuba as having called on all faithful to cover the newly elected bishops and their families in prayer as they prepare to transition into their new, demanding roles in the days ahead.

“This is a time of great blessing and responsibility for the Church of Nigeria. We are witnessing the hand of God moving mightily to expand His kingdom, and we must undergird this new chapter with fervent prayer and support,” the Primate said.

This dual event of consecrations and inaugurations represents one of the most significant single-day and single-season administrative and spiritual expansions in the recent history of the Church of Nigeria, setting a new trajectory for its mission and ministry in the nation.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Bandits, Kidnappers Are Our Children – Bishop Kukah

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FG raises health insurance payout, targets 44m Nigerians by 2030

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  NAFDAC resumes enforcement of sachet alcohol ban, dismisses shutdown claims
Continue Reading

Trending