Connect with us

News

Police arrest Sowore in court

Published

on

Activist and publisher, Mr Omoyele Sowore, was on Thursday arrested within the premises of the Federal High Court in Abuja by armed policemen, shortly after he appeared in solidarity with the detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu.

Sowore, who has been at the forefront of calls for Kanu’s release from detention, was picked up by security operatives who insisted that he must come with them to the Federal Capital Territory Police Command.

When asked what his offence was, one of the officers explained that they were acting on the instruction of the Commissioner of Police.

“The Commissioner of Police said we should bring you to the office,” the officer said.

Although Sowore queried the absence of a formal letter of invitation, he maintained that his lawyer must accompany him before he was eventually taken away in a police van.

Confirming Sowore’s arrest in a post via his X handle, human rights lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, described the move as “preposterous”

He wrote, “The arrest of Omoyele Sowore at the Federal High Court in Abuja moments ago is preposterous.

“The police and the Tinubu regime are making a mockery of our judicial system.He should be freed immediately. Stop the shenanigans.”

Sowore had on Monday, October 20, led a protest in Abuja — part of the #FreeNnamdiKanu demonstrations that spread to other parts of the country.

During the protest, Kanu’s lawyer Aloy Ejimakor, his brother, Emmanuel Kanu, and ten others were arrested and subsequently remanded at Kuje Prison.

In the First Information Report filed before a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Kuje, the police alleged that the defendants, during the #FreeNnamdiKanu protest — which it said was held in defiance of a court order — chanted war songs and disrupted the free flow of traffic.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: Notorious bandit kingpin Bello Turji releases 100 captives in fresh peace deal

The police further alleged that they engaged in criminal conspiracy, incited disturbance, and caused a breach of public peace — offences said to be punishable under Sections 152, 114 and 113 of the Penal Code Law.

“That on the 20th day of October 2025, you (1) Barrister Aloy Ejimakor, (2) Prince Emmanuel Kanu, (3) Joshua Emmanuel, (4) Bishop Wilson Anyalewechi, (5) Barrister Okere Kingdom Nnamdi, (6) Clinton Chimeneze, (7) Gabriel Joshua, (8) Isiaka Husseini, (9) Onyekachi Ferdinand, (10) Amadi Prince, (11) Edison Ojisom, and (12) Godwill Obiama, all male adults of the FCT, Abuja, were arrested by a team of security agents at various locations within the FCT for engaging in incitement, disturbance and breach of public peace in disobedience to a court order, thereby disrupting the free movement of citizens while chanting war songs and demanding the release of Nnamdi Kanu, who is undergoing lawful trial at the Federal High Court, in a manner that threatens national security.

“You thereby committed the aforementioned offences.”

The court has fixed Friday for the defendants to take their plea on the charge.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Boxer, Anthony Joshua discharged from hospital days after fatal accident that claimed the lives of two of his friends

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Wale Edun, has been flown abroad for urgent medical treatment after suffering a stroke

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Traders escape death as heavy duty truck falls in Umuahia Timber market
Continue Reading

Trending