Connect with us

News

Collapsed Lagos building occupants ignored distress signs – Residents

Published

on

Some residents of Cole Street in the Oyingbo area of Lagos State, where a two-storey building collapsed, leaving one person dead and 26 others injured, have disclosed that the occupants of the building ignored visible distress signs on the structure.

PUNCH Metro correspondent, who visited the scene of the incident on Monday, learnt this in multiple interviews with some of the residents.

Our correspondent also observed that some goods, including crates of beer and motorcycles, were destroyed by the impact of the collapse.

Emergency responders, including officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency, Red Cross, and Lagos Neighbourhood Security Corps, were on the ground carrying out rescue operations.

Speaking with our correspondent, a shop owner in the building, who identified herself as Mrs Adaeze, noted that the government had warned them to evacuate the building because it was in distress.

She stressed that her goods, worth millions of naira, were still trapped under the rubble.

Adaeze said, “I was called in the middle of the night that the building had collapsed, and I had to rush down here. When I got here, I saw that my goods, worth millions of naira, were trapped under the building. Some of them have been destroyed.

“The government had been giving us notice to leave the place because the building is distressed, but the owner has not been cooperating.”

She appealed for government support to cushion the impact of the loss she had incurred.

Another resident, Habeeb Jamiu, noted that the incident followed a midnight rainfall.

See also  “Awujale Was More Than A Royal Father To Me” — Tinubu Pays Tribute

He said residents were alerted by the wailing of the occupants who were calling for help from under the debris of the collapsed building.

According to Jamiu, the building had shown signs of distress, but the occupants ignored them.

Jamiu narrated, “I was awake and not far from this place when some others and I who were together learnt that a building had collapsed. It was immediately after the rain stopped around 1 a.m.

“When we got here, we heard the wailing of people and began to rescue them before the emergency responders came.

“It is true that the building was in distress. When you passed around the building, you would see signs of visible cracks that would make you wonder why they were still living there.”

Another resident, Hakeem Ibrahim, corroborated the claims that the building was in distress before it collapsed.

He expressed concerns that some people might still be under the rubble because of the number of people living in the house.

“I was at Roundabout when I saw police vehicles and an ambulance entering the area, which prompted me to follow them. When I got close, I heard people shouting that everyone should come out. When I got here, I saw that the building had collapsed.

“Some residents had begun rescuing some of the occupants before the emergency responders came. The building was indeed in distress.”

Our correspondent, who visited the hospital where some of the injured victims were taken, could not get their reactions, as medical officials said they were not fit enough to speak with the media.

See also  Lagos firm seeks IGP intervention over alleged land grabbers’ threat

PUNCH Online had earlier reported that one person was confirmed dead while 26 survivors were rescued from the collapsed building.

The Controller General of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Margaret Adeseye, gave an update in a situation report.

She wrote, “Update: One recovered dead as (survivors) rescued alive move to 26.”

She had also stated that the building, which had previously shown signs of distress, gave way while residents were still inside.

“It is an ongoing rescue involving an existing two-storey building which has reportedly been marked in distress before collapsing on the occupants,” the statement said.

Lagos State has witnessed multiple building-collapse incidents in 2025.

On September 25, six persons were rescued after a two-storey building collapsed on Modupeola Street, Mangoro, in the Alimosho Local Government Area of the state.

Similarly, on September 16, two construction workers were rescued after four days from the rubble of a collapsed building in the Ebute Metta area of the state.

These incidents underscore the recurring nature of such disasters in the state.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Renowned Evangelist Uma Ukpai Dies at 80

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Senate seeks support for farmers over farm produce price crash

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Shettima, Alia, others attend Akume’s son wedding in Benue
Continue Reading

Trending