Connect with us

News

Terrorism: Judge begs Nnamdi Kanu in ‘God’s name’ to consult lawyers

Published

on

Proceedings in the terrorism trial of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, took a dramatic turn on Monday, as the trial judge resorted to begging the defendant “in the name of God Almighty to consult properly,” before proceeding to defend himself.

Noting that Kanu had earlier fired his lawyers and opted to defend himself,  Justice James Omotosho stressed that he needed to consult legal experts because “this is not economics; this is criminal prosecution.”

“I am begging you in the name of God Almighty to consult properly,” the judge pleaded. “I am inclined to granting you the adjournment you seek.”

“I know you are educated, but you are not a lawyer. You need to consult experts in the field. Please make adequate consultation. This is not economics; this is criminal prosecution. Please, my brother, make adequate consultation. Criminal cases are not like other cases. I took the opportunity to explain to the defendant because he is not a lawyer,” the judge stressed.

Kanu is being prosecuted on seven counts of terrorism before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The court had on Friday adjourned till Monday for him to open his defence, after Kanu had submitted a list of 23 witnesses he intended to call.

Kanu said he needed an adjournment till Monday because his former legal team, led by a former Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), had yet to release his case file to him.

The IPOB leader expressed readiness to open his defence in a written application to the court, in which he indicated his intention to call witnesses and requested the issuance of witness summons.

Following his request, at the resumed sitting on Monday, the court reserved about five seats in the courtroom, each labelled “Summoned Witness,” in anticipation that Kanu would open his defence.

See also  Flood crisis: NEC slashes prevention fund by 50%, approves N83bn

When the case was called, the Federal Government’s counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), announced his appearance, while Kanu identified himself by name and stated that he was representing himself.

Afterwards, Awomolo informed the court that the business of the day was for the defendant to open his defence.

Responding, Kanu, who initially sat in the dock, stood up and stated that he had gone through the case files and discovered that the charges were unlawful.

He argued that since the prosecution had failed to establish any case against him, there was no need to proceed with his defence.

“There is actually no charge against me,” he said.

Kanu further argued that there was no extant law in the country upon which the prosecution could premise its case.

“There is no case against me. If there is no case against me, it will be futile for me to enter any defence,” he added.

At that point, Justice Omotosho intervened and explained to Kanu that in a criminal trial, the defendant has three options after the prosecution closes its case.

He said the first option is for the defendant to make a no-case submission, and if the court overrules it, the defendant is required to enter a defence.

The judge added that where a defendant chooses not to open a defence, he may decide to rest on the prosecution’s case and file a written address, to which the prosecution will reply, after which the court will deliver its judgment.

After listening to the judge’s explanation, Kanu reiterated: “My position is that there is no charge against me. There is no need for me to enter a defence. What I am saying is that there is no case against me.”

Justice Omotosho then reminded him that he had earlier ruled on Kanu’s no-case submission and held that he had a case to answer, noting that the ruling still subsists.

See also  Reps slam poor funding of Auditor-General’s office

Kanu subsequently applied for a week’s adjournment to enable him to file a written address in support of his argument that no valid charge was pending against him, claiming he was being subjected to an unnecessary trial.

He said: “I need a week to file a written address to the effect that there is no charge against me. If there is no extant law in Nigeria on which the charge could stand, there cannot be a case. You must please release me today or grant bail.”

Responding, Awomolo said that based on the defendant’s statement and the option he had taken, the court should adjourn for judgment.

“I take it that the defendant has said he is not putting in any defence because there is no valid charge against him,” Awomolo submitted.

“I want to submit that this position is conclusive of the defendant’s defence. I know that he took a plea to counts against him and pleaded not guilty. We led evidence, and he cross-examined our witnesses. Now that he says he has no defence, the case has been brought to a close,” the prosecution added.

Awomolo noted that at this stage, there was only one option for the defendant, adding that if Kanu’s objection was to be treated as his defence, the prosecution would respond, and the court would subsequently deliver its judgment.

He explained that Kanu’s current position implied that he had opted to address the court on points of law as his defence.

In his intervention, Justice Omotosho observed that the defendant was not entirely saying he had no defence, but rather that the charge against him could not stand.

He said: “That is also a form of defence. In that case, he will have to put that down in a written submission, which will be served on the prosecution, who will then respond.”

See also  UK's Jersey to return $9.5million Abacha loot to Nigeria

The judge then advised Kanu to consult experts before deciding on how to proceed.

“There is a need for you (Kanu) to consult people who are knowledgeable in criminal prosecution to advise you on how to proceed,” the judge said.

“I am begging you in the name of God Almighty to consult properly. I am inclined to granting you the adjournment you seek.

“I know you are educated, but you are not a lawyer. You need to consult experts in the field. Please make adequate consultation. This is not economics; this is criminal prosecution. Please, my brother, make adequate consultation. Criminal cases are not like other cases. I took the opportunity to explain to the defendant because he is not a lawyer,” Justice Omotosho added.

The trial judge said he has a duty to explain to the defendant the consequences of his decision not to enter a defence.

He added that after Kanu dismissed his legal team, the court had considered referring the case to the Legal Aid Council or any lawyer willing to take it pro bono, but Kanu declined, insisting that he would defend himself.

“Even at that, I still have a duty to explain the consequences of his option to him because he is not a lawyer. Please, make consultation,” the judge said.

The court granted Kanu four days from Monday to file his written address and serve the prosecution to enable it to file its reply.

Justice Omotosho then adjourned the matter till November 4, 5, and 6 for either the adoption of written addresses or for Kanu to open his defence, should he decide to change his mind.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Appeal court affirms retrieval of over 40 government vehicles from former Governor and defence minister Matawalle

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Appeal court affirms retrieval of over 40 government vehicles from former Governor and defence minister Matawalle
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  UK's Jersey to return $9.5million Abacha loot to Nigeria

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending