Connect with us

News

Natasha broke penal code in attacks on Akpabio, Bello –AGF

Published

on

The Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice has said the defamation charges it filed against Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan were in order because her conduct and actions against Senate President Godswill Akpabio and former Kogi State governor Yahaya Bello contravened the penal code.

The AGF stated this in response to Akpoti-Uduaghan’s preliminary objection to three counts bordering on harmful imputation and defamation filed against her.

The charges stemmed from complaints by Akpabio and Bello, referencing the senator’s allegation of an assassination attempt.

Akpoti-Uduaghan was arraigned on June 19 before the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Maitama, Abuja, where she pleaded not guilty.

She subsequently filed a preliminary objection, urging the court to dismiss the charges against her.

On Monday,  Justice Chizoba Oji adjourned till  December 1 to hear the preliminary objection after the prosecuting counsel, David Kaswe, informed the court that although the matter was scheduled for the hearing of the objection, the prosecution had been unable to serve its response on the defence.

In a counter-affidavit filed by the AGF’s office, the prosecution urged the court to reject Akpoti-Uduaghan’s preliminary objection.

The prosecution stated, “The three counts were preferred against the defendant pursuant to the Penal Code Law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and in the bona fide exercise of the prosecutorial powers of the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation, as guaranteed under the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), and in the best interest of justice.

See also  Japan sets new record with almost 100,000 centenarians

“The actions and conduct of the defendant/applicant contravened the Penal Code Law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“The criminal charge against the defendant arose from the comprehensive and conclusive investigation of the case, including all petitions and parties involved, by the Nigeria Police Force.

“All the petitions filed by the defendant were duly investigated, and charges were filed at the FCT High Court against her colleague, a senator.

“The Office of the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation filed the criminal charge against the defendant after due consideration of the public interest, the interest of justice, and the need to prevent abuse of legal process.

“The charge against the defendant is consistent with extant laws and does not constitute an abuse of the legal or prosecutorial powers of the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation,” the prosecution stated.

In the charge marked FCT/HC/CR/297/25, Akpoti-Uduaghan was accused of making harmful imputations that she allegedly knew would damage the reputation of Akpabio by claiming that he conspired with former governor Bello to kill her.

She was further accused of making similar imputations against Bello and another against Akpabio, allegedly linking him to the death of Miss Iniobong Umoren.

At the last sitting on September 23, defence counsel, Ehighioge West-Idahosa (SAN), informed the court that the defendant had filed a notice of preliminary objection, arguing that the Office of the Attorney-General had abused its prosecutorial powers.

According to him, the objection did not contest the substance of the charges but challenged their validity, describing it as a “threshold jurisdictional matter.”

See also  No Delay In Filling Chieftaincy Vacancies – Says Olubadan-Designate, Ladoja

He added that the preliminary objection had been served on the AGF’s office on September 18, but no response had been received.

At Monday’s resumed hearing, Kaswe explained to the court that the address where the prosecution’s counter-affidavit was served did not belong to any of the defence counsel, and he requested a short adjournment to enable proper service.

“It would not be fair for the prosecution to insist that the matter proceed when the defence team has indicated its intention to respond to our counter,” Kaswe said. “We are, therefore, asking for a short adjournment to enable us to effect proper service.”

Responding, West-Idahosa confirmed that the defence had not received the prosecution’s response, noting that none of the defendant’s lawyers had been served.

“The prosecution’s counter was not served on any of the defence lawyers. We intend to respond when we are properly served, as we have additional evidence to file,” the senior advocate stated.

He also appealed to the court to grant a long adjournment, explaining that members of the defence team planned to attend this year’s International Bar Association Conference in Canada.

After listening to both parties, Justice Oji adjourned the hearing of the preliminary objection to December 1.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Makinde Gives N5m Each To Families Of Old Oyo National Park Attack Victims

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Blackouts: FG moves to resolve gas supply crisis
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Alassane Ouattara tipped for fourth term as Ivory Coast goes to polls

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending