Connect with us

News

Acting Awujale, Abiodun’s aide push for Ijebu State

Published

on

The regent head of Ijebu Ode and co-founder of EKO Hospital, Lagos State, Dr Sunny Kuku, and the Special Assistant to Governor Dapo Abiodun on Youth Development, Pastor Okikiola Fayomi, have both urged President Bola Tinubu to help actualise the long-held dream of the creation of Ijebu State.

Kuku, who is also the Ogbeni Oja of Ijebu land and the acting Awujale, alongside Okikiola, who doubles as the National President of the Ijebu Youth Association, made the plea while addressing journalists during the 2025 International Youth Summit, Empowerment, and Award Programme.

The event, with the theme: “Youth empowerment for a new era: Catalysing the great creation of Ijebu State,” was held at Ijebu-Ode.

Represented by Dr Yemi Kuku, the renowned physician said in a statement on Sunday from the media office of the youth organisation, signed by Okikiola, that although the agitation for Ijebu State had spanned several decades, the people remained hopeful that President Tinubu would finally make it a reality.

“We have been promised in the past that we shall get it, but it all ended there. We are, however, hoping that this is our time, and I have no doubt about that.

“There is hope that we shall get it under the leadership of President Bola Tinubu, who has been doing fantastically well with the management of the affairs of our nation.

“We have that assurance that the dream of having Ijebu State will be realised under this present administration by the special grace of God,” he said.

See also  US Suspends Legal Immigration Applications, Citizenship For Nigerians, Others

Kuku also urged the youth to serve as catalysts for excellence and to shun any acts that could jeopardize their future.

Similarly, Okikiola said that several leaders, beginning with the late Senator Abraham Adesanya, had fought for the creation of Ijebu State but failed due to disunity between Ijebu and Remo people.

He stressed that the time had come for both groups to speak with one voice to achieve their common goal.

He explained that all Ijebu and Remo youths had been sensitised and now united in their resolve not to miss the opportunity.

“We are appealing to President Bola Tinubu to please help with the creation of Ijebu State, because it remains the only province among 24 provinces created over 100 years ago that is yet to metamorphose into a state.

“So, we are appealing to our hardworking President to help correct this imbalance. It is a dream that we are quite optimistic will be a reality under President Tinubu.

“We are also appealing to the entire National Assembly to please support the bill for Ijebu State creation to come to limelight,” he said.

Okikiola noted that the youth had earlier held a rally around Ijebu-Ode to mobilise support and cooperation from all stakeholders to ensure that the dream finally came to fruition.

The Founder of Eyes Foundation Hospital, Dr Kunle Hassan, represented by Yusuf Adesanya, commended the youth group for championing empowerment and urged them to refrain from social vices.

Highlights of the event included the distribution of empowerment tools to the youth, with a call on them to embrace vocational training and pursue entrepreneurial ventures to create wealth and reduce unemployment.

See also  Profile Of Ambassadors Nominated For US, UK, France By President Tinubu

Recall that former governor and senator representing Ogun East, Gbenga Daniel, recently alleged that some indigenes of the state were collaborating with outsiders to frustrate the agitation for the creation of Ijebu-Remo State out of the present Ogun State.

Daniel, who is sponsoring the bill for the new state in the National Assembly, warned that such internal sabotage could derail years of collective struggle and the dream championed by the late Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Adetona.

“From what I have gathered, each geopolitical zone may not get more than one new state.

“In the South-West, we have competition from our Ibadan brothers, who are also demanding their own state. Our only advantage is that, of all the provinces created in 1923, only the Ijebu Province, which comprises nine local governments, has yet to become a state,” Daniel said.

He expressed concern that “some of our people, perhaps because of temporary benefits, are working with outsiders to sabotage this dream,” adding that, “We are short of calling them bastards.”

Daniel stressed that the proposed Ijebu-Remo State, with its capital in Ijebu land, would correct historical imbalances and accelerate regional development and political representation.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Paracetamol use in pregnancy does not cause Autism - WHO

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Paracetamol use in pregnancy does not cause Autism - WHO

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: US arrests nine illegal immigrants from Africa during raid of NYC’s Chinatown
Continue Reading

Trending