Connect with us

News

FCT doctors vow to continue strike until demands are met

Published

on

The Association of Resident Doctors in the Federal Capital Territory Administration has vowed to continue its ongoing strike until all of its outstanding demands are met.

The ARD-FCTA lamented that despite several assurances and interventions, none of the key issues raised months ago have been implemented.

Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja on Monday, the President of ARD-FCTA, Dr. George Ebong, said the strike, which was initially suspended six weeks ago following the intervention of the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and the National Assembly, resumed due to the government’s failure to honour its promises.

According to the doctors, specific timelines were set for the implementation of their demands, but none of them have been met.

The ARD-FCTA is an association of doctors practising in the 14 district and general hospitals, including the Department of Public Health under the FCTA.

The ARD-FCTA began its strike on Saturday following the announcement by its national body, the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, to commence an indefinite and total strike on the same date.

“Unfortunately, none of our demands have been implemented. We’re back to where we were before; nothing has been positive yet.

“Today, being the 3rd of November, we have not even been paid last month’s salary. It has become a culture in FCTA that salaries are not paid as of when due.

“We get the month’s salary the following month, and even the following month, we get them in the first week or second week of the following month. It has become a trend.

“When our counterparts in other institutions are getting their salaries paid to them, we struggle to get ours paid, and when we get our salaries paid, it’s never complete.

See also  Reps move to probe FCT $460m Chinese loan project

“And of course, we have the demands that we begged the management to please fix. Knowing so well that these demands are very important in such a way that doctors will have the passion to practice. But unfortunately, this has actually not happened,” Ebong said.

The association revealed that 28 doctors employed in 2023 are still being owed, despite several letters and meetings with the management.

“We still have the payment of the outstanding salary arrears of 28 of our doctors who were employed in 2023 but have not been paid.

“We’ve tried to get this money paid since January of this year. Even though they’ve been owed for more than a year, up till now they have not been paid,” he stated.

Similarly, the association said newly employed external resident doctors, hired about seven months ago, have also not been paid, forcing some to abandon their posts due to financial hardship.

It further decried the non-payment of the Medical Residency Training Fund for about 142 doctors, despite federal approval.

“This fund is meant for doctors to help them train for their exams and help them improve in their discipline, and there are about 142 doctors. It will be very necessary that no name is skipped from that list.

“Again, we don’t have enough hands. We keep talking about the fact that the doctors are getting over-laboured, and then we try to have doctors come into the system, and the management is trying to employ them at the wrong entry level.

See also  Ibas rejects Assembly’s move to probe six-month spending

“The government or the management is supposed to employ them on the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure, step three. But then they are trying to employ fewer people on CONMESS two, and nobody wants to come to work, because anyone employed on CONMESS two is on a salary scale of like 200,000 a month.

“So, you have a doctor that comes to work every day, stays in the hospital like 11 days a month on a salary scale of 200,000 a month. We have people who actually came from Lagos and wanted to come work here. And when they saw the entry level, they just went back to Lagos to stay.

“If they want to employ, we are begging them that they should reverse the entry level of doctors to CONMESS three, step three, as it is done in other federal institutions,” he added.

The association lamented the worsening state of healthcare infrastructure.
The doctors emphasized that unless all issues are resolved, the FCT chapter will not suspend its strike, even if the national body of NARD calls off or suspends its industrial action.

“Our situation in FCTA is peculiar. Even if NARD suspends its strike today, we will continue ours until our demands are met. We have been patient enough,” Ebong declared.

The association called on the Minister of the FCT to intervene, stressing that the delay in implementing his earlier approvals suggests that key officials within the administration may be deliberately sabotaging his directives.

“We believe the Honourable Minister may not have the full picture. It is disappointing that despite his approval, certain persons are holding back implementation. We appeal to him to act decisively.

See also  BREAKING: Ladoja to be crowned 44th Olubadan September 26

“We can’t fix the medical system on the pages of newspapers. These problems must be fixed on the ground. We are ready to work, but we can’t give what we don’t have,” he stated.

The doctors are demanding the immediate payment of all outstanding salary arrears to members employed since 2023; commencement of recruitment of new doctors with written, time-bound commitments to conclude before the end of 2025; and the immediate payment of the 2025 MRTF for doctors’ medical training.

Other demands include the immediate stoppage of erroneous deductions and correction of irregular salary payments; documented timelines for skipping and conversion to be fully concluded within one month; and the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding mandating the skipping of members within three months of employment.

They are also seeking the conversion of post-Part II Fellows to Consultant cadre within six months of passing, release of promotion timelines and full payment of arrears within one month, and the immediate payment of wage award arrears, as already done for colleagues at the federal and state levels.

Additional demands are the immediate payment of arrears from the 25/35 per cent Consolidated Medical Salary Structure review, urgent renovation, equipping, and upgrading of all FCTA hospitals to globally acceptable standards, immediate payment of 13 months’ hazard allowance arrears, and the immediate payment of all arrears owed to 2025 external residents.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  VIDEO: ‘Militants killed 7 of my brothers, 150 members, burnt down my church’ – Plateau Pastor alleges

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Ibas rejects Assembly’s move to probe six-month spending

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ibas rejects Assembly’s move to probe six-month spending
Continue Reading

Trending