Connect with us

Politics

2026: I’m cruising to victory, Adeleke boasts

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has expressed confidence that the internal crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party at the national level will not hinder his bid for a second term, declaring that he is “cruising to victory” ahead of the August 8, 2026 governorship election.

Adeleke stated this in a statement signed by his spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed, and obtained in Osogbo on Wednesday.

He described the lingering disagreements as a “family affair” that would soon be resolved, urging party members to remain focused and united.

“I urge all members of our party, the PDP, to remain calm and be steadfast. We are cruising to victory next year and we must remain committed to ensuring that we rebuild this party for renewed landslide victory,” Adeleke said.

He continued:“The ongoing disagreement within the party at the national level is a family affair and I want to assure all members both at the state and national level that it will soon be resolved.

All the stakeholders at the national level have the party’s progress and success at heart and are all looking at ways to resolve the crisis as soon as possible.”

The governor also directed PDP leaders across local governments and wards to intensify mobilisation ahead of the poll, insisting that the party remains the strongest force in the state.

“I hereby direct all party leaders across wards and local governments to begin massive mobilisation for our party ahead of the 2026 governorship election. We are the party to beat and our party will come out stronger and better.”

See also  INEC extends FCT voter registration by four days

Last week, after appearing before the PDP Governorship Screening Committee in Abuja, Adeleke insisted no candidate could defeat him in Osun.

“The people of Osun will choose me again because I have performed excellently. I introduced what I call fact-checking; anyone can go back and verify what is happening in Osun State.

We are in a technology-driven era; you can simply Google it and confirm that we are doing well.

I am very confident that I will win. If I could defeat an incumbent before, now that I am the governor, it will be even easier. In less than two years, we have achieved unprecedented progress in Osun State. I am so confident nobody can defeat us,” he declared.

His remarks come amid deepening turmoil in the PDP, as rival factions suspend top officials.

A faction loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, recently announced the suspension of National Chairman Umar Damagum and five other National Working Committee members. This followed an earlier announcement by the Damagum-led NWC suspending Senator Samuel Anyanwu, National Legal Adviser Kamaldeen Ajibade (SAN), and two others.

At a briefing in Abuja on Saturday, Anyanwu—speaking for the factional NWC—named Mohammed Abdulrahman, the National Vice Chairman (North Central), as Acting National Chairman.

He said, “Unfortunately, some people may say that the National Secretary, National Organising Secretary, who has the responsibility of monitoring everything, and the National Legal Adviser, who is responsible for all legal issues, were purportedly suspended.

On this note, we decided to suspend the National Chairman of the party, Ambassador Ilya Damagum, for incompetence, financial misconduct, and disregard for court judgment. He has been suspended for one month and should face the Disciplinary Committee.

See also  You Are A Liar, No One Can Trust You – Presidency Fires Peter Obi

Secondly, we also suspended the National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, for issuing statements without the party’s approval, and the Deputy National Vice Chairman (South), Taofeek Arapaja, has also been suspended.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Lamido gives PDP 10-day ultimatum, demands caretaker committee to end crisis

Published

on

Former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido, has issued a 10-day ultimatum to the Peoples Democratic Party to resolve its internal crisis, calling for the dissolution of the recent Ibadan elective convention and the immediate formation of a national caretaker committee.

Lamido made the call on Thursday while addressing his supporters—including former local government chairmen, ex-commissioners, and other political appointees—who paid him a solidarity visit at his Sharada office in Kano.

He expressed concern over the lingering crisis within the party, stating that long-time stakeholders like himself have been sidelined by “new forces” within the PDP.

“The current turmoil in the party is partly linked to efforts to undermine my political relevance,” Lamido said.

He insisted that his legal actions were not aimed at forcing himself into party leadership, but rather to protect the PDP’s legacy and defend his fundamental rights, which he said had been violated.

He stressed that, as things stand, Umar Damagum and Samuel Anyanwu remain the legitimate leaders of the party until their tenure expires on December 8, 2025.

He warned that allowing the party to continue without clear leadership structures could jeopardise the future of aspirants, serving officeholders, and those planning to recontest positions.

“I am pushing for a caretaker committee. I am calling on Wike, Damagum, and others to forgive one another and support the formation of a unified caretaker body,” Lamido said.

The former governor urged PDP leaders to convene a joint meeting to honestly address the party’s challenges and restore it to its rightful place in national politics.

See also  Tinubu praises Alimosho APC leader as a Reliable Political Ally

He also appealed to his supporters to remain calm and patient until December 8 to see how events unfold.

PUNCH Online reports that the PDP has been embroiled in a leadership crisis.

The friction intensified after a faction led by the Acting National Chairman, Umar Damagum, pushed forward with convention preparations despite a ruling by a Federal High Court in Abuja restraining the party from proceeding.

At the same time, another court decision — by an Oyo State High Court — granted the PDP clearance to go ahead with the convention, creating conflicting legal directives and deepening the confusion.

The internal strife further worsened when members of a rival faction, aligned with Nyesom Wike and some national working committee officials, announced a boycott of the Ibadan convention, declaring it illegal and unconstitutional.

Several state chapters — including that of Rivers State — publicly rejected the convention and refused to partake, citing breakdowns in communication and disregard for due process.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Alia dismisses rumoured ADC defection plan

Published

on

Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia, has reaffirmed his commitment to the All Progressives Congress, dismissing reports alleging that he plans to defect to the African Democratic Congress.

The governor was reacting to a social media claim accusing him of secretly visiting former Senate President in the aborted Third Republic, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, to perfect a defection plan.

Ayu, a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, was removed after the party’s 2023 presidential primary crisis.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by his Chief Press Secretary, Kula Terso, Alia described the report as “laughable, wicked, mischievous, and a vicious smear campaign” aimed at distracting him from governance and misleading the Presidency for selfish political motives.

The statement was titled “Mischievous fake story on Governor Alia’s alleged defection to ADC.”

The governor explained that his recent visits to respected Benue elders, including Senator Ayu, had no political or religious undertone but reflected his administration’s inclusive approach.

He listed other prominent figures he had met—among them Senator Prof. David Iornem, Elder David Iorwashima Amo, and Ambassador Terhemen Tarzoor—as part of efforts to woo more stakeholders into the APC.

“Opposition structures across Benue State are collapsing daily into the APC,” the statement added, noting that defection ceremonies were taking place in virtually all local government areas, with influential figures joining the ruling party in large numbers.

Alia restated his resolve to build a united and dominant APC in the state, saying he was prepared to engage even “the fiercest political opponents” as part of a broader consolidation strategy ahead of 2027 for both his administration and President Bola Tinubu.

See also  INEC extends FCT voter registration by four days

He urged the public to disregard the rumour, warning that it was intended to sow confusion and undermine the party’s growing strength.

Governor Alia and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, have been locked in a protracted battle for control of the Benue APC, resulting in deep factionalisation.

A recent impeachment plot against Alia was foiled, leading to the removal and suspension of the Speaker of the Benue State House of Assembly, Hyacinth Dajoh.

Alia’s administration recently demolished a part of the campaign office of President Bola Tinubu in Makurdi, Benue State.

The building, which also serves as the state secretariat of the Ahmed Bola Tinubu Support Group, had its perimeter fence pulled down during the operation carried out by the Benue State Urban Development Board.

Alia also recently stirred controversy after declaring that there is no Christian genocide in Benue State, a position that put him at odds with the Catholic Church in the state.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Wike bloc asks court to nullify PDP convention

Published

on

The faction of the  Peoples Democratic Party aligned with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory  has approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking an order nullifying the party’s convention held in Ibadan, Oyo State on November 15 and 16 by the faction aligned with the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.

The suit marked, FHC/ABJ/CS/250/2025, has as plaintiffs  the PDP, its Acting National Chairman, Mohammed Abdulrahman, and National Secretary, Samuel Anyanwu.

They are asking the court to declare the convention and all resolutions “null, void and of no effect.”

They want the court to restrain the Independent National Electoral Commission from recognising the convention.

The move follows earlier legal actions by aggrieved PDP members who argued that proceeding with the convention violated the party’s internal rules, the Electoral Act, and other statutory provisions.

Previous complainants include Imo PDP Chairman Austin Nwachukwu, Abia PDP Chairman Amah Abraham Nnanna, and South-South PDP Secretary Turnah Alabh George.

On October 31, 2025, Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja restrained INEC from recognising the convention.

In a separate suit, former Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido successfully challenged his exclusion from purchasing a nomination form to contest for national chairman, with Justice Peter Lifu ordering that the convention should not proceed unless he was allowed to obtain the form.

In contrast, Justice A. L. Akintola of the Oyo State High Court, Ibadan, issued an interim order permitting the PDP to hold the convention as scheduled.

Despite the conflicting rulings, the party went ahead with the Ibadan event under heavy security, during which Anyanwu, Wike, former Ekiti State Governor Ayo Fayose, and eight others were expelled.

See also  See what the court did to PDP convention plans

In the new suit dated November 21, the plaintiffs listed 18 defendants, including INEC, the Inspector-General of Police, the FCT Commissioner of Police, the State Security Service, and several PDP officials.

They allege the convention was conducted “in flagrant disregard” of three subsisting Federal High Court orders and seek to prevent recognition of the new officers, restore access to party offices at Wadata Plaza and Legacy House, and compel security agencies to enforce the earlier judgments.

The plaintiffs also request judicial determination on whether any authority can lawfully recognise the Ibadan convention in light of the Constitution, the Electoral Act, and the PDP constitution.

The suit has not yet been assigned to a judge, and no hearing date has been fixed.

Continue Reading

Trending