Connect with us

Politics

Power showdown: Wike bloc defiant as PDP BoT insists on convention

Published

on

The crisis rocking the Peoples Democratic Party is far from over as the faction loyal to the Federal Capital Territory Minister, Nyesom Wike, insisted that the national convention of the party slated for Ibadan, the Oyo State capital between November 15 and 16, will not hold.

Despite the position of the party’s Board of Trustees earlier on Wednesday, urging the National Working Committee to go ahead with the convention, the group led by the factional Acting National Chairman, Abdulrahman Mohammed, said the event would not hold.

The national secretariat of the party remained sealed as the two factions resorted to the use of other facilities to run their respective groups.

Earlier on Wednesday, the BoT of the PDP, aware of the status of the secretariat, met at the Bauchi State Governor’s Lodge, Abuja.

It was an event attended by the National Chairman of the party, Umar Damagum alongside the BoT chairman, Adolphus Wabara, ex-Kaduna State Governor, Ahmed Makarfi, and other party chieftains.

Similarly, Abdulrahman and his group met at the Wuye private office of embattled party secretary Samuel Anyanwu to brief the media about their activities since his emergence earlier in the week.

Abdulrahman said his group had gotten the Certified True Copy of Justice James Omotosho’s ruling, which last week put the convention on hold.

He said, “The national leadership of the PDP, under my humble self, in collaboration with our National Secretary, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, hereby formally inform the Nigerian public that we have received the Certified True Copy of the recent judgment of the Federal High Court, Abuja, delivered by Honourable Justice Omotosho in Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/2120/2025.

“We are pleased to confirm that our esteemed National Legal Adviser, Kamaldeen Ajibade, SAN, has provided a thorough legal opinion on the implications of the judgment.

“In strict adherence to due process and our commitment to fairness, we have filed an appeal before the Court of Appeal to seek further judicial clarification and interpretation in the overall interest of our party, our members and Nigerian democracy.

“Consequently, having filed an appeal and in line with our responsibility to uphold the rule of law in the PDP, we hereby suspend and cancel the proposed Ibadan national convention pending the decision of the Court of Appeal. Any continuation with the proposed convention at this time would amount to a violation of the rule of law and shall not be condoned.”

See also  Tinubu declares state of emergency on insecurity as NASS rejects bandit negotiations

He noted that the Independent National Electoral Commission, a party to the suit, “is fully aware of the judgment of the Federal High court.”

“We have deemed it necessary and responsible to formally communicate our position to the commission. Accordingly, we have notified INEC to suspend the national convention in strict compliance with the directive contained in the judgement,” he added.

He further argued that the ex parte order granted by Justice Ladiran Akintola of the Oyo State High Court, cannot override the earlier ruling of Justice Omotosho.

“We are also aware of an ex parte order recently issued by a High Court in Oyo State. While we await the Certrfied True Copy of the said order, we reiterate that an ex parte order cannot override a subsisting judgment of the Federal High Court.

“We shall continue to act only in accordance with valid judicial authority and the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“As a responsible, law-abiding, and democratic institution, the PDP remains unwavering in its commitment to the rule of law, constitutional governance, and internal party democracy.

“Our actions will continue to be guided by legal advice, by respect for our members, and by our duty to protect the integnty of our party,” he added.

He assured Nigerians of the oneness of the PDP as one indivisible family despite its current travails.

‘Convention must hold’

However, the Oyo State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party said it was focused on mobilising party members ahead of its national convention in Ibadan and will not be distracted by “charlatans and political comedians.”

The Oyo PDP is loyal to the state governor, Seyi Makinde, who fell apart with Wike following the lingering crisis in the party.

Publicity Secretary of the party in the state, Micheal Ogunsina, speaking with The PUNCH on Wednesday, dismissed those he described as suspended party members masquerading as an alternative faction.

See also  ADC caught in crossfire as Atiku–Obi rivalry escalates

Ogunsina said the PDP remained united under the leadership of Acting National Chairman, Ambassador Umar Damagum.

He said, “We must stop listening to charlatans and political comedians. PDP is one, and the National Chairman is Umar Damagum. We should not give life to suspended national working committee members. Their words hold no water, and they are wasting their time.”

He said the NWC, BoT and other organs of the party were working towards the success of the convention in Ibadan next week.

“It is also critical to note that there is no division within our rank,” he added. “The NWC, BOT and all other organs of the party are working very hard to ensure that the national convention holds.”

He expressed confidence that INEC would comply with Monday’s Oyo High Court order by Justice Akintola that the PDP and Damagum should proceed with the Ibadan convention.

He also admonished all aggrieved members of the party to be “humble with their excesses.”

“Those who are aggrieved in the party must understand that if the party leadership under Damagum and Wabara will be magnanimous in handling their misdemeanours, they must be humble with their excesses,” he stressed.

PDP secretariat sealed

Meanwhile, Anyanwu has given reasons why the gate to the national secretariat of the party remained locked.

On Monday, Abdulrahman, accompanied by Anyanwu and a team of policemen, took over the Wadata Plaza, where Abdulrahman attributed his emergence to the workings of God and promised to reposition the party.

The secretariat has remained sealed since Monday with Anyanwu insisting it’s a move to protect workers in Wadata Plaza.

“When I arrived at the office to do my normal job (Monday), I was almost attacked by hoodlums.

“Under the directives and instructions of Umar Damagu, the former PDP chairman, I heard them clearly asking the boys to attack. If not for the intervention of the police, most of the staff (members) would have been murdered,” Anyanwu said.

“And for that reason, as the custodian of the office, as the secretary, I asked everybody to stay away. Let us find a lasting solution to make the place safer for our people to do their jobs.”

See also  Omisore Declares APC Ready To Win Osun Governorship Election

Like Abdulrahman, Anyanwu said the Ibadan convention would not hold.

He stated, “The judgment of the Federal High Court supersedes the ex parte order by the Oyo court.

“Both the Federal High Court in Abuja and the State High Court in Oyo are equal. But as a matter of fact, the Federal High Court in Abuja has more powers.

“The State High Court order is just an ex parte order, which lasts only seven days. Before that ex parte order, the party had already filed an appeal at an Appeal court. When a new motion is filed in a new court, that means everything will stay, pending the outcome of the appeal. So, we shall wait for the appeal.”

Anyanwu further described the BoT meeting, which held at the Bauchi State Governor’s lodge earlier on Wednesday, as a one-sided affair.

“It was a meeting of friends and associates compared to a Board of Trustees meeting,” he stressed.

On the deployment of police personnel to Wadata on Monday, Anyanwu said he petitioned the police having gotten wind of plans to attack him and his associates.

“You recall what happened on November 1 (Abdulrahman’s takeover of party’s secretariat) because of what happened on October 31 when the former chairman, Umar Damagu, took some members of the NWC to the Legacy House to pronounce the suspension of the National Secretary, the National Legal Adviser, the National Organising Secretary and the Deputy National Legal Advisor.

“They did not come to Wadata to do that, because we had the information that they intended to attack the secretariat. On November 1, I wrote a letter to the Inspector General of Police, the Director of DSS, informing them of the information we got, that they wanted to  attack PDP. Based on that, they deployed security personnel,” he said.

With both sides taking opposition stands, the fate of the convention remains largely uncertain.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Lamido gives PDP 10-day ultimatum, demands caretaker committee to end crisis

Published

on

Former Governor of Jigawa State, Alhaji Sule Lamido, has issued a 10-day ultimatum to the Peoples Democratic Party to resolve its internal crisis, calling for the dissolution of the recent Ibadan elective convention and the immediate formation of a national caretaker committee.

Lamido made the call on Thursday while addressing his supporters—including former local government chairmen, ex-commissioners, and other political appointees—who paid him a solidarity visit at his Sharada office in Kano.

He expressed concern over the lingering crisis within the party, stating that long-time stakeholders like himself have been sidelined by “new forces” within the PDP.

“The current turmoil in the party is partly linked to efforts to undermine my political relevance,” Lamido said.

He insisted that his legal actions were not aimed at forcing himself into party leadership, but rather to protect the PDP’s legacy and defend his fundamental rights, which he said had been violated.

He stressed that, as things stand, Umar Damagum and Samuel Anyanwu remain the legitimate leaders of the party until their tenure expires on December 8, 2025.

He warned that allowing the party to continue without clear leadership structures could jeopardise the future of aspirants, serving officeholders, and those planning to recontest positions.

“I am pushing for a caretaker committee. I am calling on Wike, Damagum, and others to forgive one another and support the formation of a unified caretaker body,” Lamido said.

The former governor urged PDP leaders to convene a joint meeting to honestly address the party’s challenges and restore it to its rightful place in national politics.

See also  Leaked memo: Obidient Movement petitions Obi over ADC marginalisation

He also appealed to his supporters to remain calm and patient until December 8 to see how events unfold.

PUNCH Online reports that the PDP has been embroiled in a leadership crisis.

The friction intensified after a faction led by the Acting National Chairman, Umar Damagum, pushed forward with convention preparations despite a ruling by a Federal High Court in Abuja restraining the party from proceeding.

At the same time, another court decision — by an Oyo State High Court — granted the PDP clearance to go ahead with the convention, creating conflicting legal directives and deepening the confusion.

The internal strife further worsened when members of a rival faction, aligned with Nyesom Wike and some national working committee officials, announced a boycott of the Ibadan convention, declaring it illegal and unconstitutional.

Several state chapters — including that of Rivers State — publicly rejected the convention and refused to partake, citing breakdowns in communication and disregard for due process.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Alia dismisses rumoured ADC defection plan

Published

on

Benue State Governor, Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia, has reaffirmed his commitment to the All Progressives Congress, dismissing reports alleging that he plans to defect to the African Democratic Congress.

The governor was reacting to a social media claim accusing him of secretly visiting former Senate President in the aborted Third Republic, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, to perfect a defection plan.

Ayu, a former National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, was removed after the party’s 2023 presidential primary crisis.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by his Chief Press Secretary, Kula Terso, Alia described the report as “laughable, wicked, mischievous, and a vicious smear campaign” aimed at distracting him from governance and misleading the Presidency for selfish political motives.

The statement was titled “Mischievous fake story on Governor Alia’s alleged defection to ADC.”

The governor explained that his recent visits to respected Benue elders, including Senator Ayu, had no political or religious undertone but reflected his administration’s inclusive approach.

He listed other prominent figures he had met—among them Senator Prof. David Iornem, Elder David Iorwashima Amo, and Ambassador Terhemen Tarzoor—as part of efforts to woo more stakeholders into the APC.

“Opposition structures across Benue State are collapsing daily into the APC,” the statement added, noting that defection ceremonies were taking place in virtually all local government areas, with influential figures joining the ruling party in large numbers.

Alia restated his resolve to build a united and dominant APC in the state, saying he was prepared to engage even “the fiercest political opponents” as part of a broader consolidation strategy ahead of 2027 for both his administration and President Bola Tinubu.

See also  2027 Elections: Obi dismisses fear of losing ADC ticket, emphasizes respect for Atiku

He urged the public to disregard the rumour, warning that it was intended to sow confusion and undermine the party’s growing strength.

Governor Alia and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, have been locked in a protracted battle for control of the Benue APC, resulting in deep factionalisation.

A recent impeachment plot against Alia was foiled, leading to the removal and suspension of the Speaker of the Benue State House of Assembly, Hyacinth Dajoh.

Alia’s administration recently demolished a part of the campaign office of President Bola Tinubu in Makurdi, Benue State.

The building, which also serves as the state secretariat of the Ahmed Bola Tinubu Support Group, had its perimeter fence pulled down during the operation carried out by the Benue State Urban Development Board.

Alia also recently stirred controversy after declaring that there is no Christian genocide in Benue State, a position that put him at odds with the Catholic Church in the state.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Wike bloc asks court to nullify PDP convention

Published

on

The faction of the  Peoples Democratic Party aligned with the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory  has approached the Federal High Court in Abuja, seeking an order nullifying the party’s convention held in Ibadan, Oyo State on November 15 and 16 by the faction aligned with the Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde.

The suit marked, FHC/ABJ/CS/250/2025, has as plaintiffs  the PDP, its Acting National Chairman, Mohammed Abdulrahman, and National Secretary, Samuel Anyanwu.

They are asking the court to declare the convention and all resolutions “null, void and of no effect.”

They want the court to restrain the Independent National Electoral Commission from recognising the convention.

The move follows earlier legal actions by aggrieved PDP members who argued that proceeding with the convention violated the party’s internal rules, the Electoral Act, and other statutory provisions.

Previous complainants include Imo PDP Chairman Austin Nwachukwu, Abia PDP Chairman Amah Abraham Nnanna, and South-South PDP Secretary Turnah Alabh George.

On October 31, 2025, Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court in Abuja restrained INEC from recognising the convention.

In a separate suit, former Jigawa State Governor Sule Lamido successfully challenged his exclusion from purchasing a nomination form to contest for national chairman, with Justice Peter Lifu ordering that the convention should not proceed unless he was allowed to obtain the form.

In contrast, Justice A. L. Akintola of the Oyo State High Court, Ibadan, issued an interim order permitting the PDP to hold the convention as scheduled.

Despite the conflicting rulings, the party went ahead with the Ibadan event under heavy security, during which Anyanwu, Wike, former Ekiti State Governor Ayo Fayose, and eight others were expelled.

See also  Leaked memo: Obidient Movement petitions Obi over ADC marginalisation

In the new suit dated November 21, the plaintiffs listed 18 defendants, including INEC, the Inspector-General of Police, the FCT Commissioner of Police, the State Security Service, and several PDP officials.

They allege the convention was conducted “in flagrant disregard” of three subsisting Federal High Court orders and seek to prevent recognition of the new officers, restore access to party offices at Wadata Plaza and Legacy House, and compel security agencies to enforce the earlier judgments.

The plaintiffs also request judicial determination on whether any authority can lawfully recognise the Ibadan convention in light of the Constitution, the Electoral Act, and the PDP constitution.

The suit has not yet been assigned to a judge, and no hearing date has been fixed.

Continue Reading

Trending