Connect with us

News

AEDC sacks 800 workers amid power crisis

Published

on

The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company has commenced a sweeping retrenchment exercise affecting about 800 employees, even as Nigerians continue to reel under rising inflation, soaring living costs, and erratic power supply.

The mass layoff, which began on Wednesday, November 5, 2025, follows months of internal restructuring at the utility firm, which serves the Federal Capital Territory, Kogi, Niger, and Nasarawa States.

Multiple sources familiar with the development within the company told our correspondent on Thursday that the management had initially proposed to sack 1,800 workers before reducing the number to 800 after a series of tense negotiations with the National Union of Electricity Employees and the Senior Staff Association of Electricity and Allied Companies.

One of the sources, who is an AEDC employee, said the management had initially planned to sack 1,800 workers but reduced the number to 800 after pressure from the unions, which had at first insisted that no employee should be laid off.

“The management wanted to sack 1800, but after much pressure, they brought it down to 800. The unions initially insisted that nobody should be sacked,” the employee, who pleaded not to be named in order not to be victimised, stated.

“The unions first said nobody should be sacked, but later they allegedly agreed to 800. The affected staff were supposed to start receiving their letters from Monday, but it was delayed, and then yesterday, the affected staff started receiving letters,” another source familiar with the development revealed.

A sample of the disengagement letter titled “Notification of Disengagement from Service”, sighted by The PUNCH, dated November 5, 2025, and signed by AEDC’s Chief Human Resources Officer, Adeniyi Adejola, confirmed that the exercise was part of an “ongoing rightsizing process.”

See also  Court orders six banks to submit Sowore’s account details to IG

The letter also stated that all affected staff would be paid their due entitlements upon completion of an exit clearance process.

The letter read in part, “We regret to inform you that your services with the company will no longer be required, effective 5th November 2025. This decision follows the outcome of the company’s ongoing rightsizing exercise. Please be assured that this decision was made after careful consideration and in accordance with company policy.

“You are kindly required to complete the Exit Clearance process in your Zone and return any company property in your possession before your final exit to your HR Business Partner. , Completion of these formalities will be required before the processing of your exit payment.

“Please note that applicable deductions, including PAYE, check-off dues, outstanding loans, and unretired advances (if any), will be made in accordance with company policy and relevant statutory provisions. AEDC acknowledges your contributions during your period of service and extends best wishes for success in your future endeavours.”

The mass layoff at AEDC underscores the deepening crisis in Nigeria’s power sector, which continues to face low investment, weak infrastructure, and poor cost recovery despite over a decade of reforms.

Last year, AEDC’s operational licence narrowly escaped regulatory suspension following disputes over payment defaults and management changes, notably in 2021 and 2023. The company, now privately managed, has been under mounting pressure from the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission to improve service delivery and reduce energy losses.

This new round of job cuts could further strain an already overstretched workforce and deepen customer dissatisfaction, especially in Abuja and surrounding states, where residents have long complained about poor electricity supply and arbitrary billing.

See also  VIDEO - VeryDarkMan Blasts Gov. Hope Uzodinma for Honoring Only Igbo WAFCON Players

When contacted, the company’s Head of Customer Experience, Kenechukwu Ofili, confirmed the sacking of workers by the power firm. He, however, stated that it was a normal routine exercise. He added that, “a statement would be released. The process is ongoing and is being handled in line with the agreed framework.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  VIDEO - VeryDarkMan Blasts Gov. Hope Uzodinma for Honoring Only Igbo WAFCON Players

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  DSS explains why Sultan was arrested in Kaduna

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Court orders six banks to submit Sowore’s account details to IG
Continue Reading

Trending