Connect with us

News

Police brutality victims in Abia tells Otti to pay panel-approved compensation

Published

on

A group, Victims of Police Brutality and Extra Judicial Killings, Abia State chapter has appealed to governor Alex Otti, to facilitate the payment of compensation to the tune of N51 million to its members.

The spokesperson for the group Dr. Ositadinma Nwabuko, made the appeal in Umuahia, the state capital, on Monday, reminding the governor that the money was approved for 46 members of the group whose properties were destroyed by the police.

He explained that the compensation was approved by a panel of inquiry set up by the state government to investigate police brutality and extra judicial killings in year, 2020 shortly after the end SARS protest.

Nwabuko revealed that all the victims suffered various levels of brutality in the hands of police that led to the loss of their relatives and properties.

He said, “In the year 2020 when Nigerians were brutalized by the police in various parts of the country, the Federal Government gave a directive to the states to set up a panel of inquiry to ascertain the magnitude of the cases towards compensation of the victims.

“The panel set up by the Abia State Government was under the chairmanship of the retired Justice Sunday Imo, Mrs Uzo Ikonne, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Justice who served as the secretary with other 17 members.

“The panel deliberated over 86 cases of which 46 cases were found to have merit. The report and its recommendations were submitted to the former governor Okezie Ikpeazu for implementation.

See also  I predicted mass US visa, green card revocations – Soyinka

“The matter was still pending when the elections came on.

The victims worked assiduously and tirelessly praying for the success of Governor Alex Otti. We were confident that he would ensure our compensation.

“To the glory of God he came on board. But it has since been near impossible to reach your Excellency on our matter.

“We have done several correspondences through the Secretary to the State Government, the Attorney General, Chief of Staff to Governor, Secret Registry Government House Umuahia,

Protocol office Government House, Chief Security Officer Government House and through her Excellency Mrs Chidinma Otti when we were informed she was in town.

“All these efforts are for us to have an audience with the governor, hence this appeal.

“We appeal that the governor should direct the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Justice to make available to his Excellency copy of the panel report and its recommendations for your kind intervention. He has been our hope before he came on board and now that he is on board, he is still our hope.”

Nwabuko lamented that many of the victims are very sick, some have died, while some are still in the mortuary unable to be buried by their families for lack of funds.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Operatives behind assault on corps member arrested – Anambra

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Full List: Police Release Contacts Of Officers In 36 States, Including FCT

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Police clear Pastor Adefarasin of wrongdoing over viral gun video
Continue Reading

Trending