Connect with us

News

Freed 38 Kwara church worshippers still held in Ilorin

Published

on

The Kwara State Government is yet to release the 38 abducted members of the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, Eruku, Kwara State—who regained their freedom last Sunday—to their families.

It was gathered that the worshippers were being kept in an undisclosed hotel days after completing medical examinations paid for by the state government.

The freed worshippers were abducted by bandits on November 18 during a special thanksgiving service in Eruku, Ekiti Local Government Area of the state.

Three people were killed while another person sustained gunshot injuries during the attack.

The 38 abductees were released last Sunday and taken to Ilorin by government officials. Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq announced their release in a statement issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Rafiu Ajakaye.

Although the statement did not disclose where or how the victims were freed, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, dismissed speculation that ransom was paid, insisting the government merely negotiated with the bandits.

However, days after the announcement, the worshippers had still not been reunited with their families. Several relatives told our correspondent that they were becoming increasingly anxious over the delay.

A relative of one of the victims, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the community had expected the worshippers to return immediately after their release was announced.

He added that although the families were grateful the victims were out of danger, the prolonged wait had become emotionally draining.

“The government told us they are taking care of them. We celebrated when they called us on Sunday to say they had been released. Everyone was dancing and thanking God. But since that day, they have yet to arrive in Eruku.

See also  Trump heads to Asia for Xi talks, eyes Kim

“We miss them and hope to be reunited soon. At least we know they are out of the kidnappers’ den, but delayed expectations weigh heavily on the heart,” he said.

Another relative expressed similar concerns, noting that conflicting reports circulating within the community had compounded their worries.

“We are hearing different stories about their whereabouts. But at least we saw them in the news on Sunday with the government, and we have spoken with them on the phone. They told us they were safe. Seeing them again will gladden our hearts,” she said.

Asked whether the community contributed any money for the release of the worshippers, one relative insisted that no payment was made.

“We don’t know how they were freed or where. We only received calls from security officials on Sunday evening that our people had been released and were being taken to the Government House for medical attention,” he said.

A senior government source, who asked not to be named, confirmed to Saturday PUNCH that the victims were still undergoing medical and psychological evaluation in Ilorin.

The official said, “They went through trauma and a harrowing experience, especially the young ones and the elderly. The government is concerned about their welfare and wants to give them the best medical care before allowing them to return home.”

When asked whether ransom was paid to secure their release, the official replied in the negative.

“The government cannot pay money to bandits, as doing so will send the wrong signal that crime pays. It is unfortunate that we are in this situation.

See also  Full list of those pardoned by President Tinubu

“People should be commending the government for ensuring the abducted worshippers were freed unhurt. They will soon be reunited with their families.”

Other residents of Eruku told Saturday PUNCH that although they appreciated the government’s medical intervention, they were eager to welcome the worshippers back home for proper community healing.

Govt Silent

The Kwara State Government has yet to offer any explanation as to why the victims have not been reunited with their families.

When contacted, the Commissioner for Communication, Bolanle Olukoju, said she would revert with official details on the matter.

But several hours later, a follow-up inquiry by our correspondent went unanswered.

Security sources close to the rescue operation hinted that the victims may still be undergoing post-trauma evaluation and debriefing in a secure facility.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Motorists stranded as Oyo residents protest road extension

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Full list of those pardoned by President Tinubu

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Bandits Do Not Represent Any Religion, They Are Common Criminals – Tambuwal
Continue Reading

Trending