Connect with us

News

Senate questions ministers on $30m School Safety project

Published

on

The Senate on Wednesday intensified its probe into the collapse of the Safe School Initiative by summoning key government officials to explain why the $30m scheme failed to protect Nigerian schoolchildren from relentless attacks.

Among those invited were the Finance Minister and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Wale Edun, the Education Minister, Tunji Alausa, and the Defence Minister, Gen Christopher Musa.

The summons was issued by the Senate ad hoc committee on the Safe School Initiative, chaired by Senator Orji Uzor Kalu (Abia North), following the adoption of its work plan during its maiden sitting.

Edun and the other officials are to appear before the committee next Tuesday.

Conceived in 2014 at the peak of Boko Haram’s school attacks, the Safe School Initiative was expected to fortify learning environments nationwide.

But more than a decade later, and after millions of dollars and billions of naira in funding, schools across the country remain vulnerable, with kidnapping cases surging.

Addressing journalists after the committee’s inauguration, Kalu said the Senate was determined to uncover why the initiative collapsed despite substantial domestic and international backing.

“It is unacceptable that our schools remain soft targets for terrorists and kidnappers,” he said, noting that over 1,680 schoolchildren had been kidnapped and 180 schools attacked since 2014.

He vowed that the committee would follow the money trail without compromise.

“We will track every naira and every dollar allocated to the Safe School Initiative, some of which were the $30m mobilised between 2014 and 2021, aside from the latest N144bn released for the initiative by the federal government.

See also  Plateau gov presents N914bn budget to Assembly

“Nigerians deserve to know why, despite enormous investment and global support, our schools remain unsafe.

“The committee will undertake a comprehensive financial and operational audit, engaging federal ministries, state governments, security agencies, and civil society partners,” he added.

Kalu stressed that the probe was not a witch-hunt but an attempt to restore accountability and rebuild public confidence.

The committee, he said, “owes Nigerian parents the responsibility to guarantee that their children can pursue education without fear.”

The Senate will also examine how Safe School Initiative funds have been used since 2014, assess security personnel deployment, review early-warning and emergency-response systems, evaluate infrastructure upgrades in vulnerable schools, and scrutinise partnerships with international donors and private-sector contributors.

Apart from the ministers and security chiefs, school proprietors and other stakeholders are also expected to testify before the panel.

The renewed legislative scrutiny follows fresh nationwide outrage after the recent abduction of 25 female students from Government Girls’ Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State and the kidnapping of more than 200 pupils from St Mary Catholic School in Niger State.

Both attacks have revived public concerns over why, 10 years after its launch, the Safe School Initiative has failed to deliver on its central promise—ensuring that Nigerian children can learn without the fear of abduction or violence.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  NSCDC deploys 4500 personnel in FCT ahead of Independence

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Alleged Alterations: No Amount Of Opposition Pushback Will Stop Implementation Of Tax Law – Presidency
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Reps probe Nigerian miners’ abuse claim in CAR

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending