Connect with us

News

Reps probe Nigerian miners’ abuse claim in CAR

Published

on

The House of Representatives Committee on China-Nigeria Parliamentary Relations has launched an investigation into a viral video showing some Nigerian workers in the Central African Republic, alleging abandonment and ill treatment.

In the video, which surfaced last Thursday, the miners claimed they were recruited by a Chinese mining company but were later abandoned, had their passports confiscated, and were subjected to inhumane treatment.

The workers appealed to Nigerians to amplify their message and draw attention to their situation.

They said they were stranded in Senye, a village in the Bambari region of CAR.

Reacting, the Chairman of the committee, Jaafaru Yakubu, in a statement on Wednesday,  expressed concern over the situation.

“The committee regrets the unfortunate situation the Nigerian workers are being subjected to in CAR and assures that a comprehensive investigation is currently ongoing to unravel the circumstances that led to their ordeal,” Yakubu noted.

The statement also addressed the role of Abdulrauf Ademola, the businessman accused in the video.

According to the committee, Ademola had denied all allegations of passport seizure, non-payment of wages, and abandonment.

The committee urged the public not to associate Ademola’s alleged actions with legitimate Chinese businesses operating in Nigeria.

“It is also important to state that Abdulrauf Ademola, the businessman who allegedly abandoned the Nigerians in CAR, had issued a statement refuting the allegations made by the workers who accused him of passport seizure, unpaid salaries, and abandonment in the widely circulated video.

“The committee wishes to inform the general public that Abdulrauf Ademola is not affiliated with the Chinese Embassy or the China General Chamber of Commerce, and his actions or inactions should not be linked to the embassy or Chinese enterprises doing their legitimate businesses in Nigeria,” it said.

See also  RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Yakubu also used the opportunity to reaffirm the strength of China-Nigeria ties, while appealing to the media and public to ensure accurate and balanced reporting.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government, on Tuesday, confirmed the rescue of the stranded workers.

The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, in a statement, said, “Stranded Nigerian workers in the Central African Republic have been successfully rescued and are currently in the custody of the Embassy of Nigeria in Bangui.

“A very big commendation to the staff of the Embassy and the Government of the Central African Republic for the successful operation.”

Also, a statement by the Director of Media, Public Relations, and Protocols Unit at the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, said, “The stranded Nigerians in the Central African Republic have finally arrived at the Nigerian Embassy in Bangui.

“It will be recalled that through a viral video, some Nigerian miners called for help, and there was immediate intervention and swift response of officials of the Nigerian Embassy and CAR security who accompanied them from their location to the capital,” the statement said.

It added that the miners were under the care of embassy officials, who were making arrangements for their return to Nigeria.

“They are now in the safe hands of officials of the Nigerian Embassy, who will arrange their return home.

“They expressed gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and staff of both countries, the Nigerian Embassy, the CAR security agencies and Nigerians who shared their stories,” the statement added.

See also  Ghana defence, environment ministers killed in helicopter crash — Presidency

It stated that the Nigerian agent accused of luring them into the job and abandoning them had been identified and is currently in Nigeria.

“The agent who lured them into the job scam is currently based in Nigeria and has been identified and is expected to be prosecuted,” the statement concluded.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Fake PFIPC agency scandal: Controversial DG fights back, fingers more MDAs

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Makinde says govt policies tackling workers’ hardship, insecurity
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Tinubu declares state of emergency on insecurity as NASS rejects bandit negotiations

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending