Connect with us

News

EFCC appeals judgment ordering release of 27 seized properties

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has filed a notice of appeal against the judgment of the Federal High Court, Abuja, which ordered the release of 27 properties linked to businessman James Ikechukwu Okwete and his firm, Jamec West Africa Limited.

The appeal, filed at the Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal in Suit No. FHC/ABJ/CS/348/2025, challenges the decision delivered by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik on October 31, 2025.

In a statement released on Thursday, EFCC spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, said the commission’s counsel, Abba Mohammed (SAN), expressed dissatisfaction with the ruling, which vacated an interim forfeiture order and dismissed the agency’s bid for the final forfeiture of the assets.

Oyewale said the commission is seeking two orders from the appellate court.

The statement partly read, “The EFCC has filed a Notice of Appeal against a judgment of Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Abuja, ordering the release of 27 houses to James Ikechukwu Okwete and his company, Jamec West Africa Limited.

“In a NOTICE OF APPEAL filed at the Court of Appeal, Abuja Division, in Suit No: FHC/ABJ/CS/348/2025, the Commission expressed dissatisfaction with the decision of the trial court delivered on October 31, 2025, on the matter.

“EFCC counsel, Abba Mohammed, SAN, sought two orders of the Court of Appeal on the matter:

“First, an order of this Honourable Court staying execution of the judgment of the trial court delivered on October 31, 2025, pending the hearing and determination of the appeal filed on December 1, 2025, against the judgment.

“Second, such other orders as the Honourable Court may deem fit to make in the circumstances.”

See also  Many feared killed in Oyo gas explosion

He added that the appeal is currently awaiting a hearing date.

The dispute dates back to March 13, when the EFCC secured an ex parte interim forfeiture order on the 27 properties, located in different parts of the country.

The court ordered the commission to publish the order within 14 days to enable interested parties to show cause why the assets should not be permanently forfeited to the Federal Government.

Following PUNCH Online’s publication on April 4, Okwete and Jamec West Africa Limited laid claim to 26 of the assets, while another claimant, Adebukunola Iyabode Oladapo, asserted ownership of a property at No. 12, Fandriana Close, Wuse 2, Abuja.

They subsequently opposed the EFCC’s move for the final forfeiture of the properties.

In her October 31 judgment, Justice Abdulmalik upheld the objections, dismissed the EFCC’s application for final forfeiture, vacated the interim order, and directed the commission to release the properties to their owners.

On December 3, PUNCH Online also reported that the Federal High Court warned the EFCC chairman about the consequences of failing to comply with the judgment, following claims that the commission had not fully obeyed the directive.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Veteran labour activist, Comrade Abiodun Aremu, d!es after hit-and-run in Ota

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  What Nigeria's 6 geo-political zones contributed to VAT & received in October 2025

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  NSIB - Six injured in Abuja–Kaduna train derailment (PHOTOS)
Continue Reading

Trending