Connect with us

Sports

Anthony Joshua may quit boxing after car crash — Uncle

Published

on

Former world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua is seriously considering retirement from boxing, according to his uncle, Adedamola Joshua, who exclusively told our correspondent.

The 36-year-old boxer, who survived a fatal car crash in Nigeria that claimed the lives of two of his close friends and team members, made the decision known to his family in private following last week’s tragedy.

“The major thing there is that he has retired from boxing. That is one thing that makes us glad because each time he’s fighting in the ring, we are always carried away emotionally,” Adedamola told The PUNCH during a visit to the family home in Sagamu on Monday morning.

“Each time he’s knocked down, it is just like the heart is coming out of our chest. All these emotional feelings whenever he’s fighting, it’s too much trauma for us, also. Now that he has said that he’s leaving while the ovation is highest, we are happy.”

Our correspondent asked if Joshua had communicated this decision to the family.

“Yes,” the uncle confirmed.

The boxing star has also committed to providing lifelong support to the families of his two close friends, Sina Ghami and Latif ‘Latz’ Ayodele, who died in the car accident near Lagos last Monday.

Joshua broke his public silence on Sunday, sharing photographs with the bereaved relatives on Instagram. His post carried the caption “My Brothers Keeper”, accompanied by two heart emojis and a military helmet symbol representing protection. The phrase references a biblical passage from Genesis 4:9, conveying a moral obligation to look after others.

See also  2026 WC Qualifiers: 18 players in camp as Super Eagles begin Morocco final push

A source within Joshua’s camp told UK publication The Sun, “AJ is fiercely loyal to his friends and their families and will be there for them for the rest of their lives. He’s had the same team around him for his whole career, and that team included Sina and Latz.”

Ghami served as Joshua’s strength and conditioning coach, while Ayodele worked as his personal trainer, making both men integral members of his boxing camp.

The pair had travelled to Nigeria with Joshua to visit his family when tragedy struck. Their Lexus SUV collided with a stationary truck on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. Both Ghami and Ayodele were killed instantly at the scene.

Joshua had to be extracted from the wreckage by rescuers. The boxer was rushed to the hospital but escaped with only minor injuries.

Joshua attended an emotional funeral service at the London Central Mosque on Sunday, joining other mourners to pay his respects. The two coffins were positioned side by side as the Janaza – the Islamic funeral prayer – was read. Hundreds of members of the public had gathered outside the gates of the mosque before the coffins were taken to a nearby crematorium for the funeral service. A wake followed in the afternoon.

One of the indigenes in Sagamu, Adeniji Taiwo, expressed relief that Joshua survived the crash while mourning the loss of the two friends.

“We thank God we didn’t lose our son, and for those who lost their children, God will help us to comfort them,” Taiwo said.

“I believe the fear will be there for him not to come back home, but I will advise him to come back home because he can’t leave his father’s place. This is his home.

See also  Nigeria crowned African football queens after 3-2 comeback against Morocco

“We feel bad that happened to our son, who was already almost home when he had the accident, but we thank God, and we pray nothing like that will happen to him again. There is nothing that can’t happen anywhere. God will continue to be with him, and all of us; no one in Remo wishes him evil, he is our glory.”

Joshua’s uncle also addressed concerns about the boxer’s relationship with Nigeria following the tragedy.

“There are a lot of things we have heard, but this is a Christian family, and everything we take with faith,” he said.

“Once something like that happens, emotionally, you can say anything, but as time goes on, you know this is (always) your root.”

On Friday, the Ogun State Police Command confirmed that Adeniyi Kayode, who was driving the car with Joshua as a passenger, had been charged over the crash at the Sagamu Magistrate Court. He was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, reckless and negligent driving, driving without due care, and driving without a valid driver’s licence. The case has been adjourned until January 20.

Kayode’s lawyer told the Daily Mail, “My client has pleaded not guilty and what happened was an accident. I haven’t had a full chance to speak with him yet, but I know he is saying the brakes did not work.

“I also understand that the journey started in Lagos and that initially Anthony had got into the front seat, but the driver asked him to swap seats. He did this because Anthony is a big fellow, and he couldn’t see the wing mirror properly, so he asked him to move, and he sat behind the driver. From what I understand, Latif was in front and then changed seats with Anthony.”

See also  Atletico push for Lookman as Fenerbahce near deal

Joshua, who was born in Watford to Nigerian parents, was on holiday in Nigeria following his sixth-round knockout win over YouTuber-turned-boxer Jake Paul in Miami on December 19.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

AFCON 2025: Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

Published

on

Moroccan prosecutors on Thursday sought jail terms of up to two years for 18 Senegalese football fans imprisoned in Rabat since last month’s AFCON final over “hooliganism”, an AFP journalist reported.

Seeking the maximum penalty for some, the prosecution told the court that the defendants had “deliberately sought to disrupt the proper conduct of the match”.

It said the group “committed acts of violence broadcast live on television”, while the defendants have denied any wrongdoing.

The Senegalese fans have been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final in which Morocco lost to Senegal 1-0 on home turf.

Minutes before the end of the match, some Senegalese supporters attempted a pitch invasion, while Senegal’s players halted the game for nearly 20 minutes to protest a late penalty awarded to Morocco.

Some fans were also seen throwing objects onto the field, including a chair.

The prosecution said evidence against the defendants was based on footage from surveillance cameras at the stadium, as well as medical reports documenting injuries among security forces and stadium stewards.

Material damage to the stadium was estimated at more than 4 million Moroccan dirhams ($430,000), the prosecution said.

Morocco is set to co-host the 2030 World Cup alongside Spain and Portugal.

AFP

See also  Atletico push for Lookman as Fenerbahce near deal
Continue Reading

Sports

W’Cup: Nigeria’s wait continues as FIFA delays DR Congo verdict

Published

on

World football governing body FIFA is yet to deliver its verdict on the petition submitted by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), alleging that DR Congo fielded ineligible players during last November’s 2026 World Cup African play-offs, The PUNCH reports.

Nigerians were kept on edge on Monday in anticipation of the ruling, as the intercontinental play-offs are scheduled to take place from March 26 to 31 in Mexico.

The Super Eagles missed out on automatic qualification during the qualifying series last year but advanced to the African play-offs, where they were eventually beaten by DR Congo on penalties.

Several unconfirmed reports circulated on Monday regarding the team’s fate, but NFF President Ibrahim Gusau said the federation was still awaiting communication from FIFA.

“We are still waiting to hear from FIFA. We are hopeful, by the grace of God,” Gusau said.

DR Congo have been drawn to face the winner of the tie between New Caledonia and Jamaica for a chance to secure one of the two available World Cup slots.

As the play-offs approach, a verdict from FIFA is expected soon, with the NFF maintaining confidence in its case.

“We believe that we have a chance; that is why we petitioned. If we knew we didn’t have a chance, we wouldn’t have petitioned. That is our submission — it is now left to FIFA to decide,” the NFF General Secretary, Dr Mohammed Sanusi, told The PUNCH.

Nigeria’s protest is based on the alleged improper switch of nationality by some DR Congo players.

According to FIFA statutes, a player may request to change the association they are eligible to represent only once. The process requires a written and substantiated application, carried out in line with domestic regulations and approved by FIFA’s Players’ Status Committee.

See also  Nigeria’s World Cup dream alive as DR Congo face player eligibility probe

FIFA regulations require a player to hold a passport of the new country they wish to represent — even if they also possess another nationality. However, Congolese law does not permit dual nationality, a point believed to be central to Nigeria’s complaint.

Like the NFF, there remains a sense of hope among the players.

“We’re still waiting — hopefully we can go to the World Cup,” midfielder Alex Iwobi said recently.

Meanwhile, Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, suggested that the final recourse for either Nigeria or DR Congo could be the Court of Arbitration for Sport after FIFA delivers its decision.

“It requires a lot of things, and by the time it is finally decided, whether Nigeria wins or DR Congo wins, I believe the case might even go to the Court of Arbitration for Sport,” Dikko said in Morocco last month.

“For us, we are waiting to see how it goes. All I know is that FIFA is still handling the petition,” he added.

The 2026 World Cup will be held from June 11 to July 19 across 16 cities in the three host countries.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Lookman has matched Osimhen’s impact – Peseiro

Published

on

Former Nigeria coach José Peseiro believes Ademola Lookman has grown to rival Victor Osimhen’s influence with the Super Eagles and insists the forward has the qualities to become a central figure at Atlético Madrid.

Although Osimhen has long been regarded as Nigeria’s leading figure, Peseiro said Lookman’s performances, particularly at the Africa Cup of Nations, have been equally decisive.

“Osimhen was the star, but Lookman has not been behind him. In fact, he has scored more goals. Now they are both key figures,” he told Marca, pointing to the winger’s hat-trick in the Europa League final for Atalanta as further evidence of his impact at club level.

Lookman has been the standout performer for the Super Eagles at back-to-back Africa Cup of Nations tournaments, directly contributing to 11 goals (six goals and five assists) in 13 appearances that saw them winning a silver and bronze medal.

Peseiro, who handed Lookman consistent opportunities during his tenure, also dismissed suggestions that he is difficult to manage, describing him instead as grounded and responsive when given trust and freedom on the pitch.

“Lookman does not act like a star, he is very easy to manage, you just have to let him be free,” he said.

Peseiro said the 28-year-old’s immediate impression in Spain underlined his ability. He urged patience as the player settles but maintained that his composure and talent were already evident.

“Playing like that three days after arriving can only be explained by his quality. Now we must remain calm because he still needs to adapt, but it is already clear that he does not feel pressure. If you give him freedom and accept his boldness and creativity, Lookman has the potential to produce outstanding seasons and make an era at Atlético,” Peseiro said.

See also  Liverpool’s Slot urges patience with ‘best striker’ Isak after record move

He described the transfer as a pivotal stage in Lookman’s career, adding that the move fulfils a long-held ambition to compete at the highest level in Europe while proving doubters wrong.

“For him it is a challenge and a very important step because he has achieved the objective he always had of reaching one of the best clubs in Europe and continuing to prove to England that they made a mistake with him,” he said.

Peseiro revealed that conversations in 2022 helped lay the groundwork for Lookman’s resurgence. At the time, the forward had struggled for stability across spells at Everton, RB Leipzig, Fulham and Leicester City.

The Portuguese coach said Lookman had spoken candidly about his disappointment after falling out of favour with England’s youth set-up despite winning the Under-20 World Cup in 2017.

“He was still young, but he often told me how sad he was that after winning the Under-20 World Cup in 2017 and progressing to the Under-21s, England stopped calling him up. He did not understand it and believed he had a future there, but he had to accept it,” Peseiro revealed.

Now approaching his peak years, Lookman has added defensive discipline and physical strength to his attacking qualities, according to his former coach. Peseiro said the demands of Italian football accelerated his development.

“He has become more mature and complete. He can shoot, pass and beat opponents one against one. He has also improved greatly defensively and physically,” he said.

“He told me he suffered more in training in Italy than in Germany or England, but through effort he progressed in an area that was necessary. He is very professional and resilient. Even if it is not obvious at first glance, he fights, presses, defends and is very strong physically.”

See also  West Ham sign Fulham winger Traore

Peseiro believes Lookman is at his most effective operating centrally behind a striker, where he can exploit pockets of space and influence matches with goals or assists.

“On the wing he can destabilise opponents and make good diagonal runs, but his best position is behind the forward. When he finds space inside, he can shoot, dribble or assist. That is where he is most decisive,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending