Connect with us

News

N30bn relief: Oyo cries politics as HEDA drags Makinde to EFCC

Published

on

The Human and Environmental Development Agenda has petitioned the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over alleged “diversion, misapplication and criminal breach of trust involving the N30bn released by the Federal Government to the Oyo State Government in the aftermath of the January 2024 Bodija explosion in Ibadan.”

The petition, signed by HEDA Chairman, Mr Olanrewaju Suraju, and addressed to the EFCC Chairman, Mr Olanipekun Olukoyede, queried the status of the fund released for the compensation of explosion victims, reconstruction and emergency relief.

In the petition dated January 5, 2026, the group expressed concern that only about N4.5bn intervention funds were reportedly applied to relief and compensation for victims, while the FG’s N30bn remained largely unaccounted for.

“The organisation is concerned that only about N4.5bn intervention funds were reportedly applied to relief and compensation for victims, while the entire N30bn remains largely unaccounted for,” the petition read.

There had been furore in the public space after a former Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose, during a national television interview, raised the alarm over the FG’s release of N50bn to the Oyo State Government as intervention funds for the explosion victims and Old Bodija reconstruction.

The Oyo State Government had acknowledged receipt of the FG funds but clarified that it received N30bn, which it said remained untouched until it gets the balance of N20bn.

Following the state government’s disclosure, victims of the explosion demanded the release of the N30bn to complement earlier support received, which they described as inadequate compensation.

See also  Christian genocide: US lawmaker Moore visits Nigeria

Speaking with The PUNCH on Sunday,41 arrested as Benue probes alleged ‘slaughterhouse’ the Oyo State Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation, Mr Dotun Oyelade, said the government’s earlier stance that the N30bn remained “untouched” subsists.

The state government had said it disbursed N4.085bn as support and compensation to victims of the explosion, adding that it spent N24.6bn from its own resources on Bodija and its environment following the disaster.

Oyelade said the unending furore over the N30bn fund might not be unconnected with 2027 politicking, which the government was ready for.

He said, “The Oyo State Government is at peace with the comprehensive and convincing statement issued on the unfortunate incident.

“We stand solidly by our statement and refer everyone to same. It’s 2026, the eve of the 2027 general elections. We understand and we are ready.”

HEDA, in the petition made available to The PUNCH on Sunday, raised questions about transparency and accountability, noting that the funds were kept in a commercial bank at interest for over a year without public disclosure by the Oyo State Government.

The group demanded that the EFCC mandate the Oyo State Government to provide transparent public disclosure or a comprehensive account of the total intervention funds received, how they were spent and the status of any unspent balance.

It added, “These allegations raise serious concerns bordering on corruption, abuse of office, diversion of public funds, criminal breach of trust and possible money laundering, all of which fall within the statutory mandate of the EFCC.”

See also  Presidential Pardon: Why Maryam Sanda, 85 convicts got lesser sentences– AGF

While acknowledging that Section 308 of the 1999 Constitution grants immunity from prosecution to a sitting governor, HEDA stressed that such immunity does not bar investigation, especially on matters involving public funds.

“Constitutional immunity does not preclude investigation, particularly in issues relating to accountability and the management of public resources,” the statement read.

The group therefore charged the EFCC to launch a thorough, impartial and professional investigation into the “receipt, management and utilisation of all Federal Government intervention funds released to Oyo State in connection with the Bodija explosion.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Always stand on the side of truth, Fubara urges leaders

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has urged the Nigerian judiciary and political class to place legacy and justice above personal interests.

He said the true measure of leaders lies in how their service ends.

Fubara spoke on Wednesday night at a state banquet held at the Government House, Port Harcourt.

The banquet was in honour of Justice Obietonbara Owupele Daniel-Kalio, who recently retired from the Court of Appeal, Asaba Division.

This was contained in a statement issued on Thursday by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Onwuka Nzeshi, and sent to newsmen.

Addressing a gathering of jurists, government officials, traditional rulers, and other dignitaries, the governor stressed the need for high standards in public service, noting that despite challenges, excellence can be restored through collective resolve.

“It is about us coming together, believing in setting a standard and not allowing our personal interests to override those standards. That is the only way we can restore the good old days,” he said.

The governor, who described the retired jurist as a model, charged younger lawyers and politicians to always uphold the primacy of truth and integrity in their careers and every other endeavour in life.

“The message tonight is about how a career ends. The conclusion of Justice Daniel-Kalio’s service brings honour to the state.

“It is a lesson for the upcoming young ones, and for those of us in politics. When we leave the stage, how will our story be told?

“It is not about winning now; it is about how it ends. We must strive to do the right things to defend the most important thing, and that is justice. Always stand on the side of truth so that, at the end, you will be remembered for what is right,” Fubara stated.

The governor remarked that though Justice Daniel-Kalio may have retired, he is not tired and remains strong enough to contribute to the development of Rivers State.

See also  Umahi reveals the cause for flooding on Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway

The state government, he said, would seek further ways to tap into his wealth of knowledge and experience and urged him to be available whenever the state calls on him to share his expertise.

Fubara expressed appreciation to the guests for their presence during what he described as a significant period for his administration and acknowledged their support when it mattered most.

“Our vision and desire here is to ensure that Rivers State continues to grow from strength to strength.

“It hasn’t been easy, but I feel very humbled and privileged to say that those of you here today, celebrating one of your own, are very special to us in Rivers State. We can’t pay you for doing that, but God will reward you,” he said.

In her welcome address, the Solicitor-General and Permanent Secretary of the Rivers State Ministry of Justice, Vera Sam-Dike, said the event was designed to honour an illustrious son of the state and a jurist of exceptional integrity who served with loyalty, fairness, and commitment to the rule of law.

She described Justice Daniel-Kalio’s retirement as both the end of an era and a celebration of a career that upheld justice while positively impacting many lives.

Mrs Sam-Dike praised the retired jurist’s courage, wisdom, and intellect and said the banquet was a token of appreciation and a wish for a peaceful retirement.

Responding, Justice Daniel-Kalio thanked the governor for what he called a rare show of love and candour in organising such a state reception in his honour.

He described his years on the Bench as deeply rewarding and stressed that the judiciary remains a stabiliser of any sane and progressive society.

See also  ‘Document Whatever I Tell You Now Because I May Die Anytime, Ife Not Yoruba Origin’ – Oluwo Of Iwo

Justice Daniel-Kalio is the immediate past Presiding Justice of the Court of Appeal, Asaba Division.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Osun deploying tech for infrastructure, security, governance – Adeleke

Published

on

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has said his administration was deploying technology for Infrastructure, governance reform and public safety, among many other uses.

The governor, who spoke at the opening ceremony of the maiden Osun digital festival held in Osogbo, Osun State, on Thursday and attended by participants from across the country, mentioned specifically the plan by his administration to implement the Osun Smart Resident ID to strengthen planning, service delivery, and security coordination.

Highlighting other sectors of the state economy that his administration has leveraged Information Communication Technology for optimum service delivery, Adeleke said the state government has reactivated the Emergency Call Centre.

“Through the toll-free number 293, citizens can now access emergency services at no cost. Under the Osun Safe City Initiative, we are advancing CCTV deployment in strategic locations.

“We are also implementing the Osun Smart Resident ID, to strengthen planning, service delivery, and security coordination. Through Imole WiFi, we are expanding public internet access across communities.

“In Artificial Intelligence and emerging technologies, Osun State is building a state framework for AI and blockchain deployment. Presently, we have the State Digital Protection Act and the proposed State AI Act before the House of Assembly. The framework will enable secure digital certificates, trusted government receipts, and autonomous digital services through a newly designed state website,” the governor said.

He also announced the launch of AlphaStart Hub, the first state-owned founders’ hub, adding that within one year, three hubs will be established across the senatorial districts, with headquarters at the Osun Digital City.

See also  NLC urges resilient leadership amid rising insecurity

In education, the governor said his administration will introduce ‘Imole EduPod’ — a solar-powered, containerised mini hub with an offline CBT centre, connected through Imole WiFi, to expand digital learning access, while supporting sustainable energy use.

Assuring the state tech community of maximum support, Adeleke disclosed that “From the next fiscal year, we will be supporting upcoming tech businesses with grants and financial lifeline.”

Earlier, the Special Adviser to the governor on Science and Technology, Azeez Badmus, commended the governor for leading the charge for reforms in public administration through ICT.

“The reforms were anchored on the clear mandate of the governor. He (Adeleke) directed that technology must sit at the centre of governance. Not at the margins. At the centre. Under this mandate, we prioritised digital infrastructure. Broadband expansion is no longer confined to major towns. We are opening access across local governments because opportunity must not depend on location.

“We moved decisively on digital governance.
Key public services are now automated. Land administration processes have been streamlined. Investment platforms are online.
Payroll systems are digitised. Certifications are processed electronically. These reforms reduce delays, improve transparency, and strengthen ease of doing business,” Badmus said.

He said the administration was also investing in Osun’s youthful population through digital skills development and structured startup support to create new economic pathways.

In the recent past, the Osun State Government has been reiterating its desire to make the state a hub for innovation and technology.

The PUNCH reported in May, 2025 that the government expressed commitment to harnessing innovation and technology to drive economic growth and create opportunities for the people.

See also  Tanker drivers’ strike will not cause fuel shortage – Dangote Refinery

The state government also said it will provide the needed platform and resources for youths in the state to develop innovative solutions to bridging the digital divide.

The state Commissioner for Innovation, Science and Technology, Mr Moroof Ayofe, stated this at the opening ceremony of the 2025 Osun Challenge Initiative held in Osogbo.

Ayofe noted that the state government’s vision is to position Osun as a hub for innovation and technology.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Without accurate data, planning becomes guesswork – Abia gov

Published

on

Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, has tasked stakeholders and participants in the Unified Data Architecture initiative to track performance and deliver public services with precision and speed.

Otti gave the charge on Thursday in Umuahia while declaring open a one-day Abia State Workshop on Strategic Digital Public Infrastructure and Delivery, organised for public service stakeholders.

Represented by the Deputy Governor, Ikechukwu Emetu, Otti stated, “Governance in the 21st century must be anchored on credible data and a reliable identity system.

“In an era where economies thrive on information, Abia State cannot afford to operate in silos.

“A unified data architecture will empower us to track performance, allocate resources more efficiently, improve internally generated revenue, strengthen social protection systems, and deliver public services with precision and speed.”

He added, “Without accurate data, planning becomes guesswork. Without a harmonised identity framework, service delivery becomes fragmented.”

The governor said the workshop marks a deliberate and strategic step towards correcting the gaps caused by lack of data and positioning Abia State for intelligent, evidence-based governance.

He urged participants to take the workshop seriously.

“Let me emphasise that this workshop must be practical, forward-looking, and solution-driven. The outcome must be a scalable, secure, and fit-for-purpose framework that supports every agency’s strategic objectives.

“The future of governance is digital, the future of planning is analytical, the future of accountability is data-based, and Abia State is ready to lead in this direction,” Otti emphasised.

According to the governor, the theme of the workshop, the “One Data, One Identity, One Government” initiative, is not merely a slogan but “a transformational blueprint. It seeks to integrate and harmonise data systems across Ministries, Departments and Agencies; eliminate duplication; enhance transparency; improve policy formulation; and ultimately ensure that government decisions are measurable, accountable and impactful,” he said.

See also  ‘Document Whatever I Tell You Now Because I May Die Anytime, Ife Not Yoruba Origin’ – Oluwo Of Iwo

He pointed out that the initiative aligns with his development philosophy, which emphasises governance that is structured, economically purposeful, and driven by measurable outcomes.

In his speech, the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Emmanuel Meribeole, stressed the need to build an integrated data architecture for service delivery, noting, “Decisions can no longer rely on assumptions or fragmented evidence.

“For us to plan effectively, allocate resources appropriately, monitor our funds accurately, and deliver services efficiently, we must build an integrated data architecture anchored on a reliable identity system.”

Earlier, the Commissioner for Budget and Planning, Mr Kingsley Anosike, said that having a single source of data would enable the Abia State government to perform much better than it is doing at present.

The workshop, which attracted commissioners, special advisers, special assistants, permanent secretaries, directors, and planning officers, among others, featured sector-by-sector presentations.

Continue Reading

Trending